“Comfortable but could be better” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Hotel Stornoway

Royal Hotel Stornoway
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Stornoway
Millport18
“Comfortable but could be better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2011

Stornoway on a very stormy December night and the Roayl Hotel was a reasonable overnight stop. Comfortable and clean. It has the overall feel off an old style hotel which has not quite yet caught up with modern hotel standards. Room clean and comfortable but bathroom a bit dated and definitely needing upgraded. Price wise it was expensive for what it provided. I stayed in three hotels on three nights and the other two were half the price for better facilities. Would I go back - yes - particularly if they reduced the price a bit. I would probably try another hotel in Stornoway first

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2011

Stayed for two nights during the Mod in October. Very reasonable prices and a very nice twin room - we were at the front and although it got a bit windy (we were too hot as the heating had been on, and fell asleep with the window open and a force 10 gale blowing outside!), not too much noise from the street outside. Comfortable beds and a good night's sleep. Very helpful and friendly staff and great food - dinner service was a bit chaotic but we were a large group and not in a particular rush.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2011

First time to the isles of Lewis and the royal hotel reception staff were very welcoming on arrival and the dinner I had was outstanding well done to all staff. I would like to say thank you to the night porter that got my car going in the morning as it would not start many thanks. Tell him I got the ferry in time to drive to Birmingham no probs with car what so ever after repair. I think his name was Glen not sure could of been Greg ?? but well done to him what a service ,he even made me a pot of tea whiles I was waiting for him,, hotel and brakedown service you can't get better than that. Well done to you!!!!

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank rosebury
Alexander M, General Manager at Royal Hotel Stornoway, responded to this review, 10 November 2011
Thank you very much for leaving a review about your stay with us. We always try to go the extra mile for our customers and it looks as if Glen, the night porter, has got you going a few extra miles, too!
Prestonpans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2011

This was one of the nicest hotels I have stayed in for quite some time. First, the room, while not overly large, was a decent enough size with a very comfortable bed. Both bedroom and bathroom were impeccably clean. The bedroom had television with a lot of channels to choose from and the hospitality tray a lovely choice of black and herbal teas, coffees and hot chocolate.

The food is absolutely wonderful. I was there with a choir – ca. 40 people – and we had booked dinner in the hotel for 2 evenings. Our experience has often been that we’d get ‘bus party food’. Not in the Royal Hotel. Fantastic, well-cooked food, beautifully arranged. Breakfast, similarly, was excellent. For example, the tomatoes and mushrooms were grilled with parsley, giving them a beautiful flavour.

The staff couldn’t have been friendlier or more helpful. One morning, for example, I asked the waitress what time Boots opened as I had to be somewhere for 9 am. I had worn tight shoes the day before and managed to give myself some very nasty blisters. The waitress told me that Boots didn’t open until 9; but when I told her my tale of woe, she immediately went to the reception desk and came back with some plasters for me.

All in all, I had 4 very enjoyable days at the Royal Hotel and cannot recommend it highly enough. When I visit Stornoway again, I will definitely book a room in the Royal Hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank MachairOrchid
Thank you for leaving feedback here - we're always keen to hear what out guests have to say about us.

The secret to running a good hotel is having staff that look after guests and do the little extras that you don't expect. I'm delighted that we could help relieve your weary feet.

Glad you enjoyed the food, too. Incidentally, I've just learned that votes from the guests of travel company, Hebridean Hopscotch Holidays, have rated our food the best of all the full size hotels they use in the Outer Hebrides.

We'll hope to see you again soon.
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2011

Located near to Stornoway's harbour, this hotel's staff were really helpful, but the bedrooms needed refurbishing. Restaurant food wasn't cheap, but was surprisingly good.
Service at breakfast was a bit amateur; one group we saw had great problems making themselves understood to the waitress, whose English wasn't really up to her role.
Overall, not bad for a short stay. Free car parking a great bonus (though the car park could get full in high season).

Room Tip: Harbour-side rooms may get noise from pubs etc, especially at weekends. Ask for a room on a higher...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TravelmeistersLondon
Alexander M, General Manager at Royal Hotel Stornoway, responded to this review, 18 October 2011
Thank you very much for offering feedback about your stay at the Royal Hotel.

We are always happy to know what our guests thought – both good and not so good - because it helps us train staff to give the best possible customer experience. I was pleased to see that you had enjoyed the quality of our food and staff service.

To offer fresh local produce of the high standard we insist on costs a little more than you may pay in ordinary restaurants, but we feel that the small premium is well worth the food experience. Our many regular local clients seem to agree.

All of the rooms at the front of the hotel have been fully renovated, so I guess you must have had one of the rooms at the rear, for which we have planned refurbishment. However, in the meantime, these are sold as a slightly lower price option to the higher standard front facing rooms.

The final stage of the hotel front refurbishment starts next week, with the fitting of new windows, specially made to maintain the character of the historic area. They are double glazed and will provide greater comfort in the winter, as well as insulation from weekend noise - though we are well away from noisy town centre pubs.

Being away from the town centre also means that there is plenty of on-street car parking adjacent to the hotel, so there's rarely any parking difficulty, even in high season.
Burntisland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2011

This is going to be one of those reviews that you just can't help thinking is a plant. Not so. We stayed in the Royal Hotel In Stronoway for our wedding anniversary in Sept 2011. We were spending the week in Ullapool and thought a trip to Lewis for one night would add something special to the occassion. I had flowers and champaign to organise for the room as a surprise on our arrival and contacted the hotel in advance - Angela was extremely helpful in getting things sorted. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. I phoned Angela from the ferry on the way over to confirm the everything was in order. The personal touch was excellent - although it had been a few weeks since my original booking she recalled immediately all the details and my name - even the specific room I'd asked for. On our arrival we were just dropping off baggage in the room before heading south for a visit to Luskentyre on Harris - the first place we had visited on the Isles when staying a few years ago. Magical place - very romantic (extremely isloated). We had lunch in the HS1 bistro before leaving and this was great. On the way back up the road to the hotel I phoned reception to check things were sorted - Sarah was on duty but Angela had fully briefed her earlier about the arrangements for the room. The room itself was great - ask for the one with the bay window overlooking the harbour - woodwork on the windows needs a bit of attention but this really is the only criticism I can think of. The bathroom was great - really modern - excellent shower and my wife loved the Elemis products provided. The hotel isn't modern and slightly dated but this is Stornoway and the hotel and staff ooze a Western Isles character which really added to the sense of Island culture. The weather wasn't great so we decided to have dinner in the hotel. The meal in the Boat Shed Restaurant was amazing and the service excellent. Forgot to tip the waitresses though - sorry if you're reading this. There are three places to eat and for a hotel of this size I thought that was a bit much and my only recommendation would be to loose one and extend the Boat Shed theme into the adjoining one with the shinty and hockey sticks games room decor - it's a bit drab.
In summary, I would strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JoeandCarole
Alexander M, General Manager at Royal Hotel Stornoway, responded to this review, 22 September 2011
Thank you very much for offering feedback about your stay at the Royal Hotel.

Because we’re committed to offering the best possible customer experience, it’s always helpful for us to know what our guests thought – both good and not so good.

I’m especially delighted that our staff members were able to go the extra mile for you in preparing your room for a special celebration visit and that you dined so well at the Royal.

We’re always happy to do something that’s special for our clients – it’s part of the Hebridean tradition of hospitality – we only need to be asked.

The renovation of windows and the hotel frontage will be completed by Spring 2012. The windows are being specially made to ensure the refurbishment is sensitive to the architectural conservation area in which we’re situated. It has taken longer than we would wish to organise this refurbishment, but we’re the most historic hotel in Stornoway and face directly over the harbour to the Castle, so it’s important that we help maintain the character of the area.

I’m sure that returning guests will agree that it has been worth the wait.

Thanks again for your comments – I’m sure the waitresses will forgive you – everyone gets great service and we’re looking forward to seeing you here again.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

We were given a room at the front of the hotel for a Friday and Saturday night stay and found it very noisy indeed particularly as the local "nightlife" finished . Our experience featured boy racers and their loud stereos as well as plenty of drunks. Unfortunately, there was no double glazing in the rather dated room. Outside the window the woodwork was rotten over a wide area.

The first meal we ate was, at the receptionist's advice, at a wobbly, barely clean, bar table and was a disaster. The second dinner was in the plesant restaurant and both service and food were good. Brealfast was also good quality.

While the hotel is convenient for the ferry I'll look somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: Not at the front of the hotel
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for offering feedback about your stay at the Royal Hotel.

I’m pleased to hear that you enjoyed your dinner and breakfast in our restaurant – over the 150 years that the Royal has been in existence, some unevenness in the floors is inevitable – we’re always happy to move a table or adjust the leg a little, if we’re asked.

I’m sorry to hear that you found some of the late evening revellers noisy. Like most towns in the UK, people are out enjoying themselves at weekends – if a guest at the front of the hotel asks to be moved to a rear room, we’re always happy to oblige, as long as we have space available. The lovely views over the harbour and castle, are at the front, though.

Occasional noise disturbance should be solved by the renovation of windows and the hotel frontage, which will be completed by Spring 2012. The fully double glazed windows are being specially made to ensure the refurbishment is sensitive to the architectural conservation area in which we’re situated.

As well as improving thermal insulation the double glazing should reduce noise levels dramatically. I’m sure that returning guests will agree that it has been worth the wait.

Thanks again for your comments – and we hope you’ll return again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stornoway
The Crown Hotel
#5 of 6 in Stornoway
Hebridean Guest House
Hebridean Guest House
#5 of 24 in Stornoway

Been to Royal Hotel Stornoway? Share your experiences!