“An interesting history lesson”
Review of Arnol Blackhouse

Arnol Blackhouse
Ranked #1 of 19 things to do in Stornoway
Reviewed 17 June 2014

An interesting insight into how life was. It is well preserved and you get a feeling of stepping into the past when you walk into the house. The visitor centre provides more history on life on the island as well.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We have seen many Black Houses from the outside & on TV but not entered one before. It did not bother my wife & I but a number of our party had to get out pretty quick because of the peat smoke.
There is also a White House you can enter. But be aware both of them are locked for hour when the visitor centre/shop closes for lunch.

1  Thank Dave C
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I imagine life must have been quite hard, living in a blackhouse. In the winter, though it was probably one of the only structures that could have withstood the strong wind and rain in this wild landscape. The peat fire made my clothes smell for a week afterwards, but I enjoyed it as a memory of my visit. I was dropped off at the blackhouse and walked back on the road to 40 North, a local restaurant with great food. There isn't much more at the site than the welcome center, the blackhouse, and the whitehouse, which was built afterwards and looks much more modern. I got a real sense of how life must have been, not that long ago. It's well worth a visit. Be sure to watch the black & white video in the welcome center.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

This was a fantastic spot to visit, and really gave insight into how people in the rural community lived until very recently. The recreated cottage interior is fantastic, and it's lovely to be able to walk around the village. I did feel the admission fee was a little high, however.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Interesting visit, and certainly gave an insight into what life was like. I did, however, smell of peat smoke afterwards but, in my opinion, that was part of the experience. Thank you Historic Scotland.