“much more than expected”

Thorlee Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stornoway
Thorlee Guest House
Ranked #22 of 24 Stornoway B&B and Inns
Benbecula Island, United Kingdom
“much more than expected”
Reviewed 4 February 2013

My partner and I stayed in thorlee on the 29th jan 2013. I wasn't sure what to expect from various reviews i had read but i was very pleased with what i found. The place is spotless i have never stayed in a guest house so clean, nicely decorated and rooms have a real homely feel. Its location is perfect right at the start of the main street so did not have far to go to get an afternoon coffee (tearoom right next door) or an evening meal (we went to the crown hotel food was fantastic) i can not recommend Thorlee highly enough and will most definatly be staying there again. you can tell a real effort is being made by owners to make Thorlee the best it can be. Fridge in room full to the brim with a continental breakfast. As you can tell i was a very happy customer.

Room Tip: all rooms secorated to a high standard. so so clean
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marissa M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
northants
Reviewed 9 November 2012

I booked 2 rooms (one for myself and the other for a friend) for a family visit. I booked through bookings.com and the add stated that it has parking. When I arrived I found the parking was actually the public car park across the road which isnt secure and very difficult to find a space in the middle of the day, although it is free. You may want to concider this if you drive an expensive vehicle. As on other review's, the rooms are far better than the exterior would suggest and perfectly comfortable and very clean. You will need to make other arrangements for breakfast as theres no breakfast facilities on site but I knew that before booking.
In summary, reasonable value for money, if a little impersonal, as we never seen anyone as reception is managed by CCTV. Very clean and comfortable. I would stay again if I was on foot, but not if I was traveling by car due to parking issues.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Isle of Skye
Reviewed 4 November 2012

The Thorlee suited our needs very well indeed. It is ideally placed being opposite the bus station, free car park and ferry terminal. The reception and stairs were clean bright and welcoming and the room was spacious and beautifully decorated. I loved the en-suite, beautifully tiled and appointed.We liked having the fridge with the breakfast items and the complimentary wine was a nice touch.
When they say dog friendly they really mean it. There was no charge for our pet.
We did have some criticisms. Although the room was clean and the bathroom spotless , the lamps,radio and iPod dock were covered in a fine coat of dust. No big deal, but surprising considering the quality otherwise. Our biggest complaint was that the wifi did not work on our second night. Broadband is very important to us and this was a disappointment.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Choocom
Reviewed 9 September 2012 via mobile

I have stated he within the last week on a Buisness trip and found it wonderful. I arrived late, but no problem key was available for pick up at the front desk. Went to the room and was very surprised considering the outside needs an update. Clean spacious room with, fridge, wine and breakfast all included. The room had all that I was looking for and really could say a bad thing about it. The location was great, with parking right across the road and a number of eating places close by. I would recommend HS-1.

All in all a very nice stay and if back would have no problem staying again.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Gerry1981
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Over priced decent rooms however for what they are the cost is far to high. Also you never see anyone its daft you turn up pick up an envelope with your key in it a cctv camera records you go to your room no hot breakfast just a decent cold breakfast left in the fridge and when you leave a girl is on duty to take your money!!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Blair M
Rome
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Room seems recentely renovated and B&B location is good, but breakfast is ridicolous.
When I booked the full contintinental breakfast was included. Before my arrival I received an e-mail that adviced me that they change services and the breakfast became a fresh continental breakfast in the frigo. I accepted but finally I'm not satisfied because the breakfast was half that offered by the other B & B. The owner said they have a wireless but at the thirt floor doesn't work, power of the wireless signal is too low and conneciotn is unstable.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Traveller_Bob_Rome

Travellers are raving about these Stornoway hotels

London
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Between my booking and my arrival this property changed from a Guest House serving a ''full English breakfast'' to serviced apartments with ''fully comprehensive continental breakfast''- no problem there except I found a bread roll growing green mould for my breakfast and to add insult to injury I was charged the full fee of £80 a night with no apology!
My guide to the Island of Lewis, a local man, was dismayed and told me his family thought the property had recently changed hands. On the plus side the room was well appointed, clean and close to the harbour, even so would not recommend this property to anyone.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends