See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Thorlee provides management by distance. There was no-one at all to greet guests. The keys to my room were in an envelope at the reception. I then had 3 floors to lug up heavy suitcases. The room was pleasant with a lovely outlook over the harbour. The bathroom was also nice. I parked outside the hotel but as this was a paved pedestrian area, I wondered if I'd get a ticket. The fire alarm went off for about 3 hours, with the man from the next door cafe trying his best to turn it off. Breakfast was a very average croissant left in the fridge. I had to leave early the next morning, but there was no-one to take my payment. So I left wondering if I'd have a black mark against my name for non payment. Payment was later deducted from my credit card, which was particularly rude. I think there is more to running a successful establishment than just providing a room. I would not stay at Thorlee again

Room Tip: If all you want is a serviced apartment, then this is the place. Service wasn't just terrible, it was non-existent. I wonder if the positive reviews of the place are from the manager's friends?
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank greenant343
Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

I was booked into stay two nights at the thorlee guest house in stornoway as i was working in the area...

En route to the isle of lewis i took a phone call from Kenny the owner of the guest house who informed me that my room had been double booked - but not to worry as he used his own home as a guest house for overflow..

I honestly couldnt have dreamed of a nice facility to stay - kenny was an attentive host & the room he offered me was much more than i could have expected at the actual hotel. A nice big comfy double bed, flat screen TV, coffee facilities & and amazing en suite... I certainly landed on my feet.

Spotlessly clean and just 2miles from the centre of stornoway - i honestly hope when i return next year i am double booked as i couldnt have wished for a more comfortable stay - so comfortable i actually slept in for my ferry back to the mainland.. D'oh!!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 21 June 2013

We were completely happy with our 3-night stay here. Perfect location close to ferry landing, bus terminal, restaurants, and shops. Room was large and comfortable. Ample continental breakfast was re-stocked in room fridge daily. Guest House seems to be efficiently run. We had booked room months in advance, and everything transpired exactly as promised. It was notable that I never actually saw any staff members face-to-face, even when checking in. In case of need I think I could have gone next door to bakery under same management as guest house, but need never arose.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sjf2
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Very good accommodation, ideally situated in the centre of Stornoway. Much better inside than what you see on the outside. Comfortable, large and clean room. Large flat screen TV, radio and ipod dock. Fully stocked fridge for breakfast with a good selection, including complimentary soft drinks and wine. Lovely room to relax after a long day of sight seeing.

Room Tip: Wi-fi did not work in our room, but was fine on the landing.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2013

We stayed at Thorlee for 3 nights and couldn't fault it. Our room was large, bright very clean and overlooked the harbour. All rooms have been completely (and tastefully) refurbished and since they provide a more than adequate continental breakfast (in a fridge in the room) you can eat it when it suits you rather than being tied to set times. The place is lovely and clean and right in the heart of town with a large free car park opposite. There was even a bottle of wine (with enough for two generous glasses) in the room, fresh fruit in a bowl and chocolates on the pillow. The building is obviously a work in progress as the outside needs sorting/decorating next, but we really could not fault the place in any way. As a 'ps' my wife left a necklace in our room and since we live down in Llangollen, North Wales (a very long way from Stornoway) they had very thoughtfully posted it back to us before we even knew it was missing - top that for great customer service.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business