“Just what we wanted.”

Thorlee Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stornoway
Thorlee Guest House
Ranked #22 of 24 Stornoway B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 September 2013

We spent two nights recently at Thorlee Guest House and it was perfect for all our needs. The location was ideal, right by the harbour and free parking! Dog friendly, which was great, and we soon found some really good walks for the dog in the grounds of Lews Castle, and further up Bayhead through The Arch - follow the stream along the edge of the golf course - brilliant! A real bonus. We were up on the top floor, very spacious room, comfortable king size bed, window open at night and NO noise!! Plus a lovely shower room. The rooms are serviced which means continental breakfast goodies in the fridge, and some fruit in the room too. This suited us as we are not into cooked breakfasts every day, plus we had to be up very early the last morning to catch the ferry. The wee bottles of wine on our first night were very welcome too! Will definitely be back at some stage Coinneach. Thank you. Robert and Penny F.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Thorlee Guest House

Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

As I say don't judge a book by its cover. It's not much to look at from outside but inside rooms are lovely, very modern, good bed and shower!! Breakfast is cold buffet which is left in fridge in room but they also leave small complimentary bottles of wine!! Beside ferry terminal so very handy. Would definitely recommend

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We used this as a stop over as we were getting the ferry the next day. Room was adequate and comfortable. No management or staff in sight, keys left on a table with our name on it. Breakfast was pretty poor and not what we expected when booking a room to include breakfast (although that now seems to make sense) as it was in a fridge in the room. Had a view of the fire escape and rear of the guest house so not the best considering what we paid for it. Little bottles of wine were a nice touch.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We two " elderly " ( 59 and 58 year old) Kiwis booked a night here this past July pre ferry catching and were on the top floor in the corner room, magic views , clean and tidy and yes the keys were left at reception for us to collect which I thought rather quaint and very trusting of Kenny. The stairs were no problem and meant we could wander thru the town without the car which had free parking directly under the hotel in the large ferry carpark. How good is that !
Excellent restaurant just 3-4 doors down upstairs.The C/ Breakfast in the room was fine.
Tho I had booked and given credit card numbers it turned out they didn't take AMEX so Kenny had to chase us for a number, lucky we were still on the island :) Very happy to recommend it. And we paid GBP100 for two ( maybe a wee bit on the high side but hey it was mid summer.)

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor room on the corner. Great views of the harbour.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Had booked two rooms at short notice for a trip to Stornoway and chose the Thorlee on basis of location and flexibility of check in. I had not appreciated that the "Guest House" is in fact serviced rooms and during our two days staying at the Thorlee we never saw a single person other than our own party. The plus point is that check in was easy - our keys were left on the reception desk for collection on arrival (and on departure) and the rooms cleaned when we were out during the day.

The rooms are well appointed, clean and have very comfortable beds. The fridge with continental breakfast was well stocked and 2 small complimentary bottles of wine were left for us in addition to a kettle with good supply of teas,coffee, hot chocolate. The negative is that the second day one of the wines was not replaced as we had consumed one and the milk that was replaced was not a full carton. I thought this a bit mean given the room rate charged.

My wife did also comment on the second morning that the dishes and cutlery did not appear to have been properly cleaned and required a run under the hot tap.

The bathroom was modern and reasonably spacious although the water pressure for the shower was a bit on the low side. A few more coat hangers in the wardrobe would have been welcome. Overall however the room facilities were of a high standard.

We were lucky to be on the first floor of the house as the steps are steep and more elderly guests would struggle to get to the upper floor with luggage, especially without the assistance of staff.

Our overall impression was positive and our stay at the Thorlee was a pleasant one.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I stayed here at the end of July, the Western Isles are always busy then, I booked through booking.com was lucky to get a room, B&B, continental breakfast, in your fridge, room was spacious and had free Wi-Fi, also a very well appointed room and en-suite, kept very tidy by staff,
I thought a bit pricey at £70 a night for B&B, but paid £57.50 at the next place, Dunollie Hotel, Broadford, Skye.
Overall a good experience, and I would use again, I liked the privacy, and plenty of parking

Room Tip: Can be a bit noisy if you leave the windows open, in a front room, as you are in between the two fer...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I stayed at the guest house for two nights in July.
It was a bit strange to not see any members of staff during my stay. It made it a bit impersonal in my view.
Apart from that. It had its pros and cons. The location is excellent - just a short walk from the ferry terminal. The fridge in the room is also practical and the breakfast was OK, except for the buns provided. Would have preferred a couple of slices of bread or something.
There was no iPod dock in the room, which was a bit of a let down, since the website says that there should be one. Whether the large empty whisky bottle I found in the nightstand was to be a consolation prize, I don´t know.
Apart from that, I slept well and had a nice stay. But, I prefer to meet the people I stay with, I find.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo