“Dont expect any customer service or value for money”

Thorlee Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stornoway
Thorlee Guest House
Ranked #22 of 24 Stornoway B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We booked twin room with shower/toilet. On arrival we found an envelope with a room key and a receipt for our booking already taken out. On entering room 6 it had no shower or toilet just a dated sink in the corner of the room. A piece of paper was on the bed saying the shower/toilet were on another floor. We hadn't booked this so rang the number on the paper. The owner wasn't interested in his guests just his money. He more or less said what do you expect. We left and found another hotel which cost £15 more but was a lot nicer with full en-suite and a good and proper breakfast. We rang Thorlee to tell them we were going elsewhere and were met with you aren't getting a penny back and I will be there to check - check what - we certainly didn't touch anything and left the pathetic breakfast untouched. On the way out the shower room down the stairs, which we had been allocated as private, was a flimsy door which was open so was hardly private. People were going down the stairs. It was an expensive no facilities room and we were not prepared to go down 2 flights of stairs to use the facilities. The owner was very rude and to take the money out of your bank before seeing the room says it all. The breakfast on quick inspection was 2 cheap drinks, 2 small packets of cereal we didn't bother to look at anything else we had had enough.

Room Tip: Do not book room 6
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank yorkies634

Reviewed 24 May 2014

After leaving the disaster of the KIngs Arms Kyleakin, we were in trepedation on arriving here, when we pulled up and saw a beige building with paint peeling off sitting over a betting office we nearly cried, but built of sterner stuff we ventured in to be surprised nby nice carpets well painted hall way smell of polish, nobody at the desk but letter and keys on it for us, we made our way to the stairs and the well being continued up to our room. You couldn't have been more surprised, double aspect room overlooking the harbour beutifully appointed, towels on bed with chocolates, two half bottles of wine, coninental breakfast in fridge , fruit in the basket, ironing board and iron around the corner, great toilet and shower room. If it wasn't that Stornoway appears closed to the world we might have gone back

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank John T
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I agree with earlier reviews. The exterior needs a good makeover (costly, I know). I recognise the bit about your key being in an envelope on arrival and not seeing the proprietor (s)? Over a four night stay I think I might have seen them once but I'm not sure! Not a great fan of breakfast being in the fridge and not seeing other guests. This is a very light touch hoteliering! I enjoy being left to my own devices by and large but this was a bit more than I'm used to! Room was large and comfortable, centrally located. No complaints on the accommodation.

Stornoway's not a pretty place, it's a bit worn really, though I loved other parts of the Isles of Lewis and Harris. There aren't many bars or places to eat out in the town. Most bars are of the boozer type. I couldn't even take refuge in the Isle of Lewis British Legion as it has just closed permanently!

Stornoway's not ideal for island hopping. It has a newish ferry terminal but I could not seem to go anywhere from there except Ullapool on the mainland. Should have done some research in advance!

Enjoyed my stay, anyway, thanks. Stornoway sort of grew on me in the end!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Lionel H
Reviewed 24 April 2014

To describe itself as a guest house is a bit of a misnomer. Check-in was a key in an envelope on an unmanned desk and breakfast is in the fridge in your room. One of the joys of Guest Houses for me is the interaction with the owners and other guests and this was completely absent.

The room itself was a good size and the bed was very comfortable, however the bathroom was in a very poor state of decoration and barely acceptable.

The location is very good and there is plenty of free parking nearby.

Perhaps if the Guest House part of the name was dropped my expectations would have been different, but on this occasion I just felt a little let down.

On the upside I may consider staying here again now I know what to expect, but only if the price is sufficiently competitive.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed at the Thorlee for 3 nights, and whilst the room was a really good size, it was in real need of decoration. There was a towel on the bathroom windowsill, as the window leaked, and the paintwork and flooring were marked and in need of a proper refresh. We hardly saw the host, just a cursory discussion when we arrived, as he was overseeing some maintenance in the room next door, otherwise our welcome was a key in an envelope on an unmanned front desk! Breakfast was just a packaged roll, muffin and cereal packet in the fridge in your room. On the positive side, it is a really central location, and there is plenty of free parking opposite the guest house.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank InverSue
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Have stayed in the Thorlee on many occasions but it just gets better and better. Kenny has put an immense effort into turning the place into the excellent accommodation it now is - all rooms are first class - well furnished and maintained. It has everything you need for a business trip. No hesitation in recommending the Thorlee.

Room Tip: All rooms are very comfortable and well appointed
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 December 2013 via mobile

This guest house is perfect for short or long stay, everything you need on your room, fully stocked mini fridge with cereals, milk, juice, cheese, rolls, etc, iPod docking station, flat screen tv and comfortable beds. Very clean, warm and worth every penny.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business