“Highly Recommend!!!”
Review of Braighe House

Braighe House
Ranked #13 of 24 Stornoway B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 August 2013

This was our first visit to Braighe House and it was the perfect base for us on our return visit to the Island in 12 years. It is ideally situated and only a couple of minutes from Stornoway airport. Our room was spacious and spotless with a super view towards The Minch. The owners, John & Alison, were on the mainland while we were over but we were welcomed by their very friendly and hospitable 'deputy' Marina. Breakfast was excellent with varied choices which set us up for the day. (I recommend the home made yoghurt with granola, bananas and honey!!!) We hired a car from Carhire Hebrides from the airport and this was ideal for our Island tours. We had a wonderful three night stay and would have loved to had stayed longer. We highly recommend Braighe House and look forward to a return visit next year!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Braighe House

Reviewed 25 June 2013

An enjoyable stay there last weekend. The house is beautiful, the room was very nice, but not quite 5 star. The chairs in the room were a bit uncomfortable - but excellent for hanging jeans and jackets on! Breakfasts are 5+ stars! You could have a 3 course breakfast that will see you through to dinner, almost. And some very tasty options. My only quibble was the early timing of breakfast - 8.30 is the latest (9.30 Sunday). And the tv reception can be a bit dodgy. But minor negatives, more than made up for by the friendly hosts who were so helpful. Would certainly stay here again - highly recommended.

Room Tip: Front rooms have a great view, if the clouds ever lift!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2013

We enjoyed our stay here. The house is beautifully decorated, we had a large room and the breakfast was as good as any other we have had in Ireland. Try as we might, we could not shut out the car lights driving down the road throughout the night which, along with the traffic noise, kept us awake. We were met in the warmest and most welcoming way, and offered a glass of wine on arrival. Yes, it is out of town but that didn't bother us.
However ... and I am afraid this drives the rating, at £130 per night, this is a very expensive B&B and while good, is not that much better than many of the other establishments of a similar nature we have stayed in for considerably less. It is a lovely place to stay, but at this price we won't be back. Sad, because it is lovely.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Halcyontwo
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Both my wife and I had been travelling for several weeks and had been to many B&Bs in three countries before arriving at Braighe House for the 3 night stay we booked online. We were warmly welcomed, had a choice of rooms with fantastic views and despite being a little out of town it had the advantage of being peaceful in a rural beach setting. The rooms were very clean and refreshed daily. Our host Alison, made three excellent recommendations for dinner and we enjoyed excellent food and wine at each. The penultimate breakfast started with the best Scottish pinhead porridge we have ever had in four trips to Scotland. We recommend Braighe House without hesitation.

Room Tip: Face the sea for the view with some road traffic or face the rural paddocks with sheep, lambs and s...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2012

This was booked for me by a client, for whom I was working in Stornoway, and I was apprehensive about the facilities here but I needn't have worried. The rooms have a light, modern feel, and the bathroom was superb. The breakfast was first rate. The hotel is some way outside Stornoway, so you will need to get a taxi into Stornoway for evening meals, but that will cost only around £6-7 each way.

Room Tip: Get a room at the front for a sea view...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Spent 3 nights at Braighe House whilst working at Western Isles Hospital. Stay in many Hotels throughout the year and the 3 qualities I require are; good bed, good shower and good breakfast.. Bed - Excellent, Shower - Excellent, Breakfast - Beyond Excellent. The bedroom was large with comfortable double-bed, plenty of space to spread out and enough electrical sockets for phone chargers and netbook. Shower delivered water at a sufficient pressure to make showering refreshing after a days work. Breakfast menu was extensive and inviting, to a point where 3 days is not enough to try everything on offer, whilst the breakfast itself was simply exquisite. Did not see much of my hosts as I work long hours, but they were easy accessible when needed, as well as warm, welcoming and personable.
The icing on my cake was on the 3rd morning when I had to be out early to catch the 7am boat to Ullapool; I met with Alison the evening before to settle my bill and was promptly asked if I wanted a packed breakfast to take with me, I decided on a Ham+Tomato sandwich. In the morning pre-5am I ventured down to the entrance hallway to be met with a bag not only containing a delicious sandwich but stuffed with enough goodies to keep me going on the near 3hr sail to the mainland. This says to me that the people who enter the threshold of Braighe House are not just paying guests but family members well looked after. See You in 2013.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We were rather surprised at how far out of the town it was, which was a bit of a setback as it meant one of us had to drive to go out for something to eat in town. However, the House itself is lovely, the room very nice (albeit on the back and therefore with no sea view) and the hosts extremely welcoming and informative. The breakfasts were delicious and with welcome changes from the 'full Scottish' we had kept encountering elsewhere on our trip.
However, I would say it is overpriced and was far and away the most expensive we paid for a B&B on our trip to Wester Ross and Lewis/Harris. At the end of the day, this is someone's house and not a posh hotel but we still enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Sea view would be nice, but doubles are on the back.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank katherine153
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stornoway
Royal Hotel Stornoway
#4 of 24 in Stornoway
Hebridean Guest House
Hebridean Guest House
#6 of 24 in Stornoway

Been to Braighe House? Share your experiences!