“Couldn't do enough to help”

Holm View Guest House
Ranked #11 of 24 Stornoway B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 May 2013

I stayed at Holm House during a business trip to the Highlands and Islands. Holm House is located between Stornoway Airport and Stornoway town centre and has a lovely view out to sea to the front of the house. No amenities are particularly close by. I was aware of this when I booked and the location suited me as my business the following morning was at the airport.

On arrival at Holm House I was met by the owner who showed me to my room. He also offered to run me into Stornoway Town centre if I wished to get something to eat, which I thought was very thoughtful.

I was offered a full cooked breakfast in the morning as an alternative to the continental breakfast which is normally provided. The breakfast was lovely.

To top off the stay, the owner gave me a lift to my destination the following.

All in all a lovely clean B&B with lovely views and an owner who can't do enough to help.

Room Tip: Try and get a room at the front of the front of the house.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Stuart H

Reviewed 13 April 2013

We stayed here recently and were very impressed. Donald is a lovely man and he takes the utmost care with everything. The house is beautiful, warm and welcoming -important in Stornoway in February!- and we had a fantastic view from our room of the sunrise over the sea. Breakfast is a work of art- loved the porridge and the strawberries! Would stay here again in a minute! Highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mairebheag
Reviewed 26 December 2012

What can I say--Donald is like a wonderful cousin who you love to visit. The house is well cared for and convenient to the airport--a very short drive to Stornoway. You will need a car but they are reasonably priced on the island (we picked one up at the airport). The double rooms are huge with a beautiful view over the water.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Elizabeth23
Reviewed 15 July 2012

we found this b&b on the internet & booked over the phone a good 2 months in advance of our arrival for our stay in stornoway on the isle of lewis , this b&b is well situated for peace & quiet at night but also only 3 miles from stornoway town centre itself & only took about 1 hour at a nice gentle pace walking & is only a 5 minute car ride , the rooms are clean with plenty of storage & have most things you find in most hotels like tv, on suite, hair drier, etc.
The owner is friendly & very helpful when it come to finding out about stornoway & lewis & was helpful with any problems we had , breakfast was continental only which might not suit all but was ok for us but he did put up a packed lunch instead of breakfast for us for our day out so that was good of him .

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank karl043
Reviewed 12 May 2012

This guest house is in ideal location for travelling around the island and for the ferry. We had a front bedroom with lovely views over the bay. Our host, Donald, was very helpful, providing us with a map and information of places to visit during our two nights stay. The bedroom was lovely with en suite facilities, of a good size and pleasant decor. It was certainly the best place we stayed in during our 10 day trip to Scotland and we would certainly recommend it to our friends and stay there if we returned to the island

Room Tip: We had a front bedroom overlooking the bay.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jetsaver
Reviewed 11 January 2012

My parents and I stayed at the Holm View Guest House for three nights in September 2011, and I can honestly say that out of the dozens of other B&Bs we stayed at during our 3week trip around the UK, this was by far the best.

It's only a stone's throw from the airport, and maybe a 5min drive from Stornoway itself.

The rooms were spotless and quite modern, not to mention big enough to play a football match in! The breakfast provided, while continental, was always lovely and fresh and more than enough.

This place also has the most spectacular views of the sea, but it's best asset is the owner - and I feel really terrible that I've forgotten his name! He was fantastically accomodating, and I know that my parents got to know him really well and consider him a great friend.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank eM_2401
Reviewed 13 November 2011

This B&B is located about a mile from Stornoway on the far side of the airport. Compared to many places locally it is reasonably priced and the double rooms are of a good size with TV and large bed. We also had a large settee. Don't worry about the proximity of the airport as it isn't very busy and one hardly notices the noise of the propeller only aircraft above the existing wind noise!

Breakfast is a light affair with only cereal and toast available.

The room and bathroom were clean and tidy but get up early if you want a hot shower as there seems not to be that much hot water. That said I'd recommend this B&B as a good spot to base yourself when on the island. It loses one star only for the restricted hot water.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple