“Short break”

Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Craignure
Reviewed 16 June 2014

The hotel is a bit tired looking but was clean and very convenient for the ferry. There is a relaxed atmosphere and stunning views of the bay.
The food was excellent, although I would have preferred a simpler menu. We had the six course taster menu with our deal but I would rather have had a more basic three course menu. Breakfast buffet not extensive but the cooked breakfast was hot and freshly cooked. The restaurant staff were very attentive (maybe a little too keen) The courses all came at record speed!.
The room was clean and a reasonable size. Bed was very comfortable. There is some noise from other rooms and the corridor.
We didn't get the chance to try out the spa or the pool during our stay. I would stay again if I was on Mull. The deal we got was good value, not sure I'd want to pay full price though. .

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I haven't actually stayed at the hotel, however my experience of the booking process has been the worst I have ever experienced. I was advised they had to cancel my booking at short notice due to an "admin error". After requesting a refund, I have had to chase the reception team daily by phone and email and they still have yet to refund my payment. During that time, I also received an email explaining their swimming pool was unavailable during my stay, which I had already cancelled! They never return phone calls and the customer service has been terrible, I wouldn't recommend to anyone.

2  Thank Laura M
Reviewed 15 June 2014

A nice hotel located over looking Craignure.
The quality of the food was very good but no sooner had you finished the plate was taken away and your next course was on its way.
The cups or glasses in the room were not washed or replaced every day, the used ones just left.

Room Tip: Ask for room looking onto Craignure bay
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I stayed 2 nights at the hotel on a special deal which was amazing value. It far exceeded my expectations. The breakfast was great - if you are a meat eater - as the bacon and sausages were the best I've tasted for a long time. However, you can choose alternatives if you are vegetarian. We used the pool and hot tub. Both looked out over the bay. The facilities were very good. The only downside would be for people with a lot of luggage as the hotel has a strange layout which means you have to walk up and down a lot of stairs.
The rooms and the public areas were very tastefully decorated - Scottish but in a modern style. No tartan carpets or stags heads! Would definitely go back again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 June 2014

stayed at hotel 3 star with 5 star service Neil Manager and his team could not do enough for us t. The breakfast was 1st class and we had afternoon tea as part of the deal we were on which was delicious. thank you so much for making our stay on the island such fun and great value for money. Margaret Claire Laura Glasgow

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Margaret M
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We stayed one night in the hotel at the beginning of June. Our room was excellent, very clean, comfortable beds and a lovely view. We ate in the lounge and we were both delighted with our excellent meals. There are a number of wines available and the ones we chose were excellent and reasonably priced. There are an excellent selection of beers and other drinks. The swimming pool is an added bonus, well kept with lovely warm water. I forgot my swimming trunks but I was able to purchase a pair at the swimming pool reception. Breakfast the next day was again excellent with plenty of choice available .All in all our stay in the hotel was excellent and I cannot understand why there are so many poor reports. My only word of warning to would be visitors and I do recommend visiting is to arm yourself with midge repellant.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Gen M, General Manager at Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Hello and thanks for taking the time to review the hotel following your stay, I am sure your comments will assist others when they are considering a visit with us, and I am pleased that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay. Kind regards Neal Goldsmith

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Reception was friendly and helpful and the information given on checkin was very comprehensive though they forgot about explaining that you need to lock the room doors using the button inside before leaving, not using the key.

The location was very peaceful (other than the tinkle of the ferry tannoy) and very close to the bars and cafes of Craignure. The public transport on Mull was disappointing - the buses don't run at times to fit with a leisurely break, and they cost the earth (2 return tickets north and 2 south cost the same as a day's quoted car hire - petrol extra, but worth it to not have to cut breakfast short!). It's a shame for a short break to a small, scenic island to take a car, but I'd recommend it.

The pool was large, if a little too shallow, and there was plenty of private changing space, but no private showers - they are all at the pool side, and weren't even cleaned between day 1 and 2. It is used as a community pool so there were notified times when it wasn't accessible to hotel guests.

The room was a little small (only one chair) but otherwise well appointed. Unfortunately the walls and ceilings have no sound insulation and you could hear others' snoring, word for word conversations when voices were raised, and other things you don't really want to hear. And the downside to the good storage options was that the drawers are very noisy on their runners and bang closed which also carries from the other rooms. The beds were standard hotel fare of rock hard though one of them was a bit worse as the springs were lumpy.

Many breakfast items were available on a self-serve basis which was nice and convenient and you could order the less usual hot choices from the menu - though I had to flag the staff down to do this as we weren't asked what we wanted to eat on either day. The dining room staff were lovely and friendly and otherwise helpful and efficient. However, the coffee tasted burnt - perhaps being on a too-hot warming plate? and the tea in the dining room and bar wasn't made with hot enough water so was pretty bad - thank goodness for kettles in the room.

The restaurant seems popular and we noticed it was often block-booked by coach parties at certain times, so on our first night we needed to dine in the bar if we wanted to eat in the hotel at our desired time. The choices were good - not just the usual bar fare but a couple of exciting healthier options, the ingredients were good quality and were cooked beautifully and all at a reasonable price. The only problem was the tables are all low-level coffee tables so not really what you want to be eating from. The second night we could get a table in the restaurant at our desired time, and the choices and food were outstanding.

Overall we had a lovely break and would have no hesitation in going back to this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello and thank you for reviewing the hotel following your recent stay. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your time on the Island and with us, and hope you will return again soon Kind regards Neal Goldsmith

Also consider these accommodations in or near Craignure
Oban Bay Hotel
Muthu Alexandra Hotel
Perle Oban Hotel
Perle Oban Hotel
#2 of 13 in Oban

Been to Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!