“Thank goodness for good weather! ”

Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Craignure
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed for four nights in June. I was travelling alone without a car so the location of the hotel seemed ideal. I wasn't expecting five star luxury based on the hotel rating and reviews but expected a bit higher standard than what I received.

The room I was in was on the ground floor so no sea view but nice window to the rear garden. All decor VERY dated and lots of wool tartan seat coverings and cushions that are dust storers. Room had chips on paint work, no shelf in bathroom (but there were signs of their having been one at some point), cheap pillows, double bed was two single beds pushed together so couldn't spread out and head boards then offset, light in bathroom took ages to come on and when it did not sufficient light for doing make up but probably worst of all was the dirty handprints between the head board and the picture on the wall! On a plus side the linen was clean and good quality although not changed for my four day stay.

There is no wifi in room and it is slow to say the least in the public areas. Things like biscuits and shower gel and soap were not replenished in the rooms each day. I let reception know about lack of soap and I was provided with some shower gel that evening but clearly no message about the soap was passed on to housekeeping.

The one day I wanted to use the pool as the weather wasn't great there was a private party booking so it wasn't accessible to hotel guests. Suggest if that is one of the reasons you are staying here to check availability of the pool first.

I didn't try the restaurant in the evening as I was told on arrival that I couldn't eat from that menu in the bar but breakfast was OK but not worth the £17.95 price tag. The bad area gets very busy and hot on the weekends. If you want to order bar food there are limited chair and table options as most seats are armchairs with coffee tables which may not suit some eaters.

If anyone is staying on the lower levels beware of noise from the rooms above. The floors was so creaky above my room that even with ear plugs I was woken up as people move round (and these were excellent war plugs that cut out all the noise in a busy hospital ward!!).

The only saviour was the weather as it meant I only had to spend minimal time in the hotel and could spend my days out and about on the Isle of Mull enjoying far nicer environments.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We booked to stay at the isle of mull hotel & spa for one night while my husband was on business. We selected this hotel specifically for its swimming pool as we had our daughter with us and she would be able to enjoy some pool time.
After checking in we decided we would go to the pool only to be advised after we were ready the pool was closing for a function and hotel guests would not be able to use the pool. This pool is a community pool and is not described as such when booking. It appears as their unique selling point but can be off limits to paying hotel guests to allow the community to use the facility. Guests should be made more aware of the times when the pool is for community use only. Had we been aware of this arrangement we would not have booked to stay here.

The quality of the food is rather disappointing too. We were convinced our daughter's dessert came from a tin. Breakfast was buffet style. A Scottish breakfast without potato scones! There is the option to order breakfast from the menu but our waitress did not draw our attention to this nor did she ask if we had a preference for white or brown toast. I asked for hot water and a tea bag but the tea bag arrived in the pot.

Our bedroom was acceptable, the bedding was clean, the chairs uncomfortable, one of the wall lights was sitting slightly angled from the wall and the TV was tiny. There is no wi-fi in the bedrooms, only in public areas. We struggled to lock our bedroom door when leaving the room.
The bathroom had seen better days, chipped paintwork, poor finish to bath sealant around overflow, poor quality towels, a shelf which was loose and at angle making it unusable. The level of cleanliness around the toilet, unusually coloured stains running down the outside of the WC to floor , a stained toilet bowl left us questioning house keepings skills to deliver a clean facility. Photographs of the offending stains were shown to management and we did receive a discount on our room charge.

The overall appearance of this hotel is tired and in need of a definite overhaul. It is clearly relying on its great views to distract your attention away from it's dated interiors. There is a definite lack of attention to detail.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank ElaineLUK
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Having stayed here two years before and been rather disappointed with the hotel, I decided to give it a second chance. The food had improved but I thought the taster dinner menu rather overpriced. I had booked two double rooms at the same time and thought these might have been near to each other. One was in the furthest away corner of the hotel. During the first night my brother and his wife had to change rooms because the bed was falling apart. Perhaps this was the reason it was pushed against the wall, meaning one would have to climb over the other if they needed to rise in the night. Not an ideal situation! The room they were in was supposed to be a double but it only had a single wardrobe, one chair. Initially they were told that there was no other room available but they persisted and were given keys to another as the guest had not turned up. This was after midnight. No offer of help to move but next day they were offered a free bottle of wine. Small recompense for such a disturbed night. A free night's accommodation would have been better. Our room was a double but again only one chair and one bedside cabinet. Looked for electrical socket to use for hairdryer - found these behind the bed. Again not ideal.
The toilet bowl was cracked. The wall and curtain at the left hand side of the window were badly stained. Sounds like same room used by Joean, Edinburgh. Good points were clean towels and bedding, and most of the staff were friendly and helpful, especially in the restaurant and bar.

Room Tip: Ask for room higher up.
2  Thank carele
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Stayed here for one night. Room was clean, warm and comfortable. Meals are fresh and tasty but expensive as are drinks, for example: pint of beer £3.95 and large glass of white wine. We had a good cooked breakfast but had to wait a while for our coffee. All in all the hotel is very good with pool ect; may be back again for over night stay.

Room Tip: Choose a room below where the garden walk is, it's lovely.
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I booked through "ItisOn" for 2 nights with 2 free spa treatments and £40 towards a meal in the bar. We arrived during a heat wave on the ferry from Oban (tickets included in the deal) and got directions at the tourist info. to the hotel. The hotel was in an ideal location on the bay and only 10 minutes walk from the ferry. Although the hotel wasn't the most attractive from the outside, the interior was nice- I really liked the photos of villagers and it was really comfortable. The food is really good and we both enjoyed a mini facial in the spa expertly done by the very friendly therapist. The room was comfortable and clean with excellent views over the bay. I would definately recommend!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 June 2014

It is quite a treat looking out over the Sound of Mull as you swim in the heated pool of this hotel. Breakfasts too, are truly memorable. They are served in a buffet style, help yourself fashion with a good selection of cereals, fruit, and pastries on offer. The hot items are of excellent quality and beautifully cooked with the chef regularly topping up the hot trays with small, freshly cooked batches. The Stornoway black pudding is always superb, the bacon and eggs were top notch but I think those sausages were the best I have ever had. The dining room waitresses are friendly and attentive. They are helped by the Maître d’I who carries out her task in an unobtrusive but incredibly friendly and efficient manner.
We did not try the gym or other facilities in this hotel but can agree with other reports on the hotel’s lay-out. The hotel does seem to be one long corridor. I think this design has been an attempt to give as many rooms a sea view as possible. Our room did have the sea view but it was at the end of this long corridor and, while it had all the facilities one could want, it was a bit cramped.
The receptionists seem a bit flustered and unhelpful. They are not of the same calibre as the other members of staff.

2  Thank Hamish F
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I and my wife, were on a motorhome holiday to the Isle of Mull, and the end of the week whilst we were waiting for the ferry, we decided to use the Isle of Mull Hotel Spa and pool, we were greeted by a cheery soul, who explained the different price options and provided us towels, whilst in the spa area I took unwell, and this was quickly noticed on the CCTV whereby the Spa manager (Morag) came to assist, and offered a quiet area for me to sit, and relax with a cold towel, and a glass of water and sat chatting to myself and my wife whilst I recovered, later that day she stopped in her car to ask how I was, Sometimes staff go way above the call of duty and should be Highlighted for outstanding service to there employer, Thanks again Morag your kindness shown will remain in our memories of the Isle of Mull.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mariner001
Also consider these accommodations in or near Craignure
Oban Bay Hotel
Muthu Alexandra Hotel
Perle Oban Hotel
Perle Oban Hotel
#2 of 13 in Oban

Been to Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!