“Cosy, relaxing and very dog friendly” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa

Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Craignure
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Cosy, relaxing and very dog friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 days. Doesn't look much from the outside and the rooms could so with an update. However, rooms comfy and cleaned/restocked daily. Bar meals good and staff very friendly & helpful. Dogs very welcome and views out back were outstanding.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Tersam S
Gen M, General Manager at Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Hello, thanks for your comment and feedback. Hope you return soon.. regards Neal Goldsmith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

You could be forgiven if you forgot you were in Scotland as the chap who checked us in/out had a very strong foreign accent and had difficulty understanding us and us him. All staff we had contact with, although pleasant were foreign..where have all the locals gone? We had a sea view room which was adequate if a little tired. The restaurant food was quite nice...the star was definitely the t-bone steak which was huge!

Room Tip: Ask for sea view
      Location
2 Thank Archiebubbles7
Hello and thanks for your review., We do have an eclectic mix of staff, but of course many customers from overseas also, so this does mix well on the whole. Yes the steaks are all amazing glad you enjoyed.
kind regards
Neal Goldsmith
Windermere
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

We booked through Laterooms for two nights at this hotel. Had I paid full rate by booking with the hotel direct then this review would have been damning at best.

Having received a confirmation from Laterooms but had heard nothing from the hotel, so I sent an email (which was presumably ignored) and then called them to check and reconfirm the reservation. I spoke to a guy called Ray who first tried to tell me that they were fully booked and hadn't received the booking from Laterooms, but then when I said I also worked in a hotel and knew how the system worked, he then suddenly seemed to have rooms available... I'm glad I followed up and checked, otherwise we would have turned up to be turned away through no fault of our own.

Check-in was uneventful. The room was small but reasonably well appointed - nothing special about it though. The cleanliness left a lot to be desired though - yellow grouting, mould growing on the shower curtain, on the underside of the bath mat..you get the idea. The walls between rooms are painfully thin and as a result you hear everything that is going on next door (both sides), and you hear everything that is going on out in the corridor at all hours.

On the plus side though the bed was very comfortable and gave for a good night's sleep.

Breakfast was ok - the food itself was fine, but it wasn't good being directed to and sat on a table that had already been used and not re-laid.

We didn't have dinner in the restaurant but instead had food from the bar snacks menu. When it eventually came the food was lovely, though they did get one part of the order wrong and seemed surprised when I said I didn't want to change my order to what they had sent. To be fair this was a kitchen error in reading the check, and the waiter was very apologetic and rushed off to get the correct food.

I did find it strange that they request guests settle their bills the night before departure, if leaving on an early ferry. We were booked on the early ferry and I duly went to reception the previous evening to settle up, but was told that he wouldn't do this - I'd have to come back in the morning to avoid any errors on the bill. It didn't seem to make all that much difference though - they stil managed to get it wrong following morning when I went back to pay as requested.

Would I go again? If I found a good deal for B&B then probably, yes. But there's no way I'd go on full rates that they advertised on their website. Its a shame that problems were encountered, as the hotel is ideally located for exploring Mull and Iona, and also for getting over to Ardnamurchan and Morvern. Would I recommend to others? I'm not sure.

Room Tip: Ask for a room upstairs so that you don't have anyone thudding about above you!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank dave_w81
Hello and thanks for your comments and review. I am sorry if you felt there was any confusion about your booking, but glad that all was ok. I see that overall your stay was satisfactory , and I do hope you that you will return in the future, when I am sure any negatives you had on this occasion, will not reoccur. Kind regards Neal Goldsmith
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

My partner, friend, her partner and I all had a spa day here and it was perfect! We had called Morag to ask if she had a phone number for a taxi firm to pick us up from the boat to make sure we weren't late for our treatments we had booked. Rather than giving us a phone number she offered to come and pick us up herself! Morag and her team provided us all with first class service adn made us all feel like VIP's in the time that we spent there. I myself sometimes feel a little uncomfortable when in a spa and getting a massage although I have never felt so at ease and comfortable as I did here! I would definitely recommend going for the day and enjoying the facilities! We will definitely be back. Thank you again for a wonderful day.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hello and thanks so much for taking the time to review your experience. This is what we aim for with all our customers, and its lovely to have this positive feedback. Kind regards Neal Goldsmith
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Just returned from a 5 day break in this hotel and I have no idea why anyone would not enjoy this place. The rooms are clean and perfectly adeqate, tea, coffee and towels replenished daily and suerb views over the water or the pretty gardens. The staff were extremely polite and very helpful with any requests. We had breakfast and dinner included and the food was fantastic, plenty of choice at breakfast and the 6 course taster menus was more than adequate for 2 greedy adults (in fact I managed to gain 3lb!!) If you did not want anything from the inclusive menu it was simple to order from the A la carte menu for a very reasonable suppliment. The location was also fantastic, great views and only a 5 minute walk to a lovely local pub that also had a nice menu at reasonable prices. The pool and spa were lovely to while away a few rainy hours and towels are also provided, we also enjoyed the hot tub with lovely views. I would certainly return to this lovely hotel in a superb location.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room, as you can hear the room above moving around.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank Chris_b_t2014
Hello and thank you so much for taking the time to review us. Your feedback is just what we aim for with all our guests, but in the way of the world, sometimes only negative feedback comes through the media of trip advisor. We want all our guests to feel as you did, and certainly the whole team work to try and achieve this. Many thanks and we hope you will return soon. Kind regards Neal Goldsmith
Lindfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

We used a buy a gift package stay for two days including dinner. Took some effort to book as the front desk had difficulty in understanding the concept and we even had a problem on check out when we were wrongly charged for the room. Part of the problem was that the man on the front desk was from Europe. This staffing continued to all the staff we came into contact with which rather takes away the soul of the place as you do not speak to any islanders/scots.
The downstairs bar was closed so the only drinks area was the foyer which was OK but you do sometimes want a more enclosed space without kids about in the evening.
The strangest rule was that the specials advertised in the foyer bar meals area were not available in the restaurant. Since these were expensive seafood dishes it seemed absurd that you had to have these in armchairs without a suitable table to eat on etc. As we had a dinner in the restaurant included it meant we were told they were not on the menu and there were no similar dishes on the a la carte.
The room itself was OK but fairly tired except for the soft furnishing. View from the room and public areas is good but the beach is covered in seaweed if you want to go there for other than a rough walk.
It is convenient to get the early morning ferry back to Oban but really I would stay elsewhere to get the island experience.

Room Tip: A sea view is probably worth the extra.
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hello and thanks for your review. In connection with staff, we have several staff from the Island itself ( the availability of people for employment is small on the island) so we do have a mix of staff from other countries, but of course this can work well with the amount of guests we have from other countries, who seem to enjoy being able to converse in their own language, so I think overall we get it right. As with most hotels I have worked in or visited, there is more than one option for dining in the hotel, and it is not possible for many reasons to swap menus from one area to another, I am sorry if you felt this was a strange rule, this really is quite normal. So I do hope that overall your stay on the island was good, and that perhaps you will consider a return visit to us one day. regards Neal Goldsmith
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

stayed at the Isle of Mull hotel and Spa for 3 nights. Check-in was smooth, rooms spotlessly clean and hotel staff, very friendly. The hotel pool was fantastic, as was the food and views. Highly recommend.

1 Thank Patricia M
Hello and thanks for your great feedback.. So pleased you enjoyed and hope to see you again. regards Neal Goldsmith
Also consider these accommodations in or near Craignure
Oban Bay Hotel
#1 of 13 in Oban
The Ranald Hotel
The Ranald Hotel
#2 of 13 in Oban

Been to Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!