“Chaos in Food & Drink Service”

Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Craignure
va
“Chaos in Food & Drink Service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

The hotel is in need of a good cleaning and in need of maintenance, cobwebs and spiderwebs everywhere inside and outside the building, sagging ceiling acoustic tiles over the lobby stairwell, windows in need of a washing, etc. The food and drink service is chaotic and baffling. You can order drinks with dinner, but they are on a separate check. You cannot pay for food or drink in the dining room, you have to walk out to the lobby bar to pay. You cannot pay with a credit card, only cash, at the lobby bar. If you cannot pay with cash, you need to go to the front desk to pay with a credit card. On a weekend, with 100% occupancy, you would think that the food manager would have been competent enough to order food for the weekend! They were out of any seafood products in the dining room (baffling in a town that is so near the water) and even out of some of the vegetable products listed in standard entrees. However, it appears there is a totally different menu/kitchen/management for the lobby bar area where patrons were feasting on plates piled with crab legs, fish and chips, and other appealing items. When we asked for the fish and chips which is available at the lobby bar, they said they could not provide the lobby menu food to patrons in the dining room, they can only provide dining room menu food to go out to those in the lobby who wanted more than the lobby menu. WHAT???? Same with the giant plate of crab legs being feasted upon by the lobby patrons. We were so frustrated that we talked to the dining room manager, who gave multiple conflicting excuses. The poor wait staff was getting clobbered by complaints from just about every table. Out the window of the room, we had a nice water view - an a nice view of the hotel patrons squatting their dogs all over the back lawn. Overall, would not recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank cmg3
Gen M, General Manager at Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Hello. Thanks for your review, and I do apologise if some of our systems caused you any issue. Guests are asked on arrival if they wish to "swipe" their card to open an account for all purchases during their stay, in this instance everything is charged to you room and you only need to sign as you purchase. I can only assume, and sorry to do so, that you did not open an account and chose to pay as you went. This can be inconvenient, and I am sorry that it appeared to be for you. As with most Hotels, there is more than one area to eat, and differing menus in each area, this is quite normal. and I regret that it is not possible to eat from the bar menu in the restaurant. From time to time sadly we can run out of some supplies, it is always an estimation of what people will choose to eat and all our products are fresh. This does happen rarely and the general feedback on our food is that it is excellent. All in all, I do wish you had taken a few moments of your time to ask to speak to me, when I could have perhaps explained things to you and offered explanation and apology. regards Neal Goldsmith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
Somerset UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Having endured the Dark Island Hotel for three days it was a pleasant change to move to here.

The bottom corridor and our room in particular (107) had a peculiar musty,damp smell and on entering I thought someone had been smoking there but I don't think it was that. The room itself was fine and everything worked but the bathroom was quite small with the result you couldn't even sit straight on the toilet seat without hitting your knees on the towel rail.

Breakfast choice was reasonable but there were no baked beans or mushrooms and cereal bowls were at a premium. As a group we were given a set time for breakfast and woe betide you
if you tried to go in early.
Dinner on all three nights was superb with nothing to fault about it other than the service being a little on the slow side. The packed lunch we ordered for one day was also good and the only real downside was the fact that the bar completely run out of draught beer for the last two days we were there!!

I wish Trip Advisor had a "good" rating as well as "very good" and "average" as that's what I would have rated this hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank WaltR
Hello and thanks for your review. I am pleased that it seems overall you enjoyed your stay. With groups at the Hotel, the times are set by the tour operator, not the hotel, to fit in with trips etc, so sorry about this. regards Neal Goldsmith
Fleetwood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Another all to brief stay at this hotel. It is very comfortable, the staff friendly and the food very good. The hotel is very pet friendly, and Meg enjoys her walks round the garden. The views over the garden are lovely. this is an ideal hotel for exploring the island, and so handy for the ferry. Heartily recommended for some peace and quiet.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Alan S
Hello, thanks for your lovely review, and so pleased you enjoyed your stay. Hope you will return soon and that your review will help others. regards Neal Goldsmith
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

The hotel is in a great location, literally minutes from the ferry terminal. It's clean, tidy and has great views from the rear bedrooms, bar and restaurant. But in truth, it's looking tired. Decor is very dated and in need of a major refurbishment. With some modernisation, it could be wonderful but it would appear that the hotel is 'resting on its laurels'. I guess with regular business coming through the front door, why spend money. The staff are amiable and try their best but the hotel appears woefully understaffed, which is certainly not the fault of the staff. With a very busy hotel, having just one person working the bar on a Friday evening is daft. Had a wonderful meal in the restaurant. The food was quite simply divine but again, staffing issues meant that having ordered our two main courses and a drink at eight thirty, the drinks (a vodka and a Guiness) arrived at nine (yes, really) and the meals at nine fifteen. As I said, the food was amazing, but the delay in service rather disappointing. Please don't take this review as negative. It's not intended to be so. When I return to Mull, I'd certainly consider this hotel again,although I'd try and find a better deal than I got this time. It's clean, tidy, functional and the beds very comfortable. Oh, and the breakfasts are amazing. Many buffet-style breakfasts can be dry, tasteless and poor, but not here. Food kept in great condition with plenty of choice. Brilliant! But try the hotel out for yourself. Maybe I'm being over-picky on the decor.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jerryhill057
Hello and thanks for your review and comments., I am so pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope your comments will aid others. Kind regards Neal Goldsmith
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 days. Doesn't look much from the outside and the rooms could so with an update. However, rooms comfy and cleaned/restocked daily. Bar meals good and staff very friendly & helpful. Dogs very welcome and views out back were outstanding.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Tersam S
Hello, thanks for your comment and feedback. Hope you return soon.. regards Neal Goldsmith
scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

You could be forgiven if you forgot you were in Scotland as the chap who checked us in/out had a very strong foreign accent and had difficulty understanding us and us him. All staff we had contact with, although pleasant were foreign..where have all the locals gone? We had a sea view room which was adequate if a little tired. The restaurant food was quite nice...the star was definitely the t-bone steak which was huge!

Room Tip: Ask for sea view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Archiebubbles7
Hello and thanks for your review., We do have an eclectic mix of staff, but of course many customers from overseas also, so this does mix well on the whole. Yes the steaks are all amazing glad you enjoyed.
kind regards
Neal Goldsmith
Windermere
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

We booked through Laterooms for two nights at this hotel. Had I paid full rate by booking with the hotel direct then this review would have been damning at best.

Having received a confirmation from Laterooms but had heard nothing from the hotel, so I sent an email (which was presumably ignored) and then called them to check and reconfirm the reservation. I spoke to a guy called Ray who first tried to tell me that they were fully booked and hadn't received the booking from Laterooms, but then when I said I also worked in a hotel and knew how the system worked, he then suddenly seemed to have rooms available... I'm glad I followed up and checked, otherwise we would have turned up to be turned away through no fault of our own.

Check-in was uneventful. The room was small but reasonably well appointed - nothing special about it though. The cleanliness left a lot to be desired though - yellow grouting, mould growing on the shower curtain, on the underside of the bath mat..you get the idea. The walls between rooms are painfully thin and as a result you hear everything that is going on next door (both sides), and you hear everything that is going on out in the corridor at all hours.

On the plus side though the bed was very comfortable and gave for a good night's sleep.

Breakfast was ok - the food itself was fine, but it wasn't good being directed to and sat on a table that had already been used and not re-laid.

We didn't have dinner in the restaurant but instead had food from the bar snacks menu. When it eventually came the food was lovely, though they did get one part of the order wrong and seemed surprised when I said I didn't want to change my order to what they had sent. To be fair this was a kitchen error in reading the check, and the waiter was very apologetic and rushed off to get the correct food.

I did find it strange that they request guests settle their bills the night before departure, if leaving on an early ferry. We were booked on the early ferry and I duly went to reception the previous evening to settle up, but was told that he wouldn't do this - I'd have to come back in the morning to avoid any errors on the bill. It didn't seem to make all that much difference though - they stil managed to get it wrong following morning when I went back to pay as requested.

Would I go again? If I found a good deal for B&B then probably, yes. But there's no way I'd go on full rates that they advertised on their website. Its a shame that problems were encountered, as the hotel is ideally located for exploring Mull and Iona, and also for getting over to Ardnamurchan and Morvern. Would I recommend to others? I'm not sure.

Room Tip: Ask for a room upstairs so that you don't have anyone thudding about above you!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dave_w81
Hello and thanks for your comments and review. I am sorry if you felt there was any confusion about your booking, but glad that all was ok. I see that overall your stay was satisfactory , and I do hope you that you will return in the future, when I am sure any negatives you had on this occasion, will not reoccur. Kind regards Neal Goldsmith
Also consider these accommodations in or near Craignure
Oban Bay Hotel
Manor House Hotel
Manor House Hotel
#1 of 13 in Oban
Mingarry Park Luxury Accommodation & Restaurant

Been to Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!