“Fantastic Break - Looking forward to a Return Visit :-)”

Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Craignure
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Break - Looking forward to a Return Visit :-)”
Reviewed 22 July 2010

I have just returned from a two night break at this hotel with my mum and we could not have booked a better place to stay, it was a fantastic break in a fantastic hotel at a fantastic rate. I had never been to Mull before and wasn't sure what to expect, firstly the hotel was only minutes from the ferry which was great as we were able to drop our bags, relax and then take a leisurely drive to the lovely Tobermory and Calgary Bay. We had booked our dinner for 7.30pm and arrived back in plenty time, the dinner was delicious, we had three courses and each one was great (haggis neeps & tatties, superb) the staff could not have been nicer, always greeted with a lovely smile from the foreign tall chap on duty, and we got the same seat each time we went in to the restaurant which looked right across the water, lovely when sipping on a glass of red wine. We headed out to the lounge and listened to a lovely American man playing on the piano, what a great variety of songs, he was great, it was lovely to sit back and relax after a day of travelling. The lady behind the reception even approached us in the lounge to ask what we would like in our packed lunches the following day, as we had forgotten to book them before the requested 9pm, gold star service, when else would a hotel approach you when you had forgotten to take advantage of a great offer, this was much appreciated and a big thanks to the lovely lady, the lunch was throughly enjoyed the following day aswell. As well as all the travelling we managed to enjoy the leisure facilities, well at least the swimming pool and the outdoor hot tube, the hot tub was closed over when we arrived however when I asked the staff member he happily started it up for us and guided us out, no problem whatsoever.
I am really frustrated when reading the bad reviews about this hotel as I could not have faulted anything, the staff from the minute we arrived were welcoming and really helpful, the location was perfect for a trip to Mull, the rooms lovely and clean and the food superb. I would advise that you ignore all the poor reviews and check this place out, I have no doubt, like myself, that you will be looking to plan another trip when you return.

• Stayed July 2010
1 Thank GlasgowMoMo
BobWalker, General Manager at Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 23 July 2010
What can i say. Thanks so much for your kind comments and i will certainly pass these over to the staff concerned.
We do try and make our guest's stay with us a memorable one and i was heartened that we manage this with yourself. All comments are really important however one like this seems to make it all worth while.
Again my thanks.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2010

I felt like a small part moving down a production line in a factory in this soulless, unfriendly, noisy hotel. On arrival it looks like the seventies building that it is, all pebble-dash and concrete. They have tried to tart it up with some nice gardening features but the silk-purse, sows-ear analagy comes to mind. On arrival our booking was wrong, never a good start, thankfully they were able to correct it, but insisted on seeing our confirmation. We had booked a 'walkers package' on easy-breaks.com, and it was as cheap as chips, so I cannot complain about the value of the deal, £40 per night dinner, B&B and a packed lunch each day.

Seventies architecture tries to make best use of the view from public areas and the rooms. The dining room in paticular has excellent views over the village of Craignure. Unfortunately the production line in the dining room allows you no time to view, the plates are a blur as your (table d'hote in our case) food is whizzed out of the fridge on frozen plates and thrown in front of you, waiters hover, poised to whisk away the empties and bring the next course of school dinner to the next unsuspecting diner. At one level you could admire the efficiency, but for me it was too oriented to the 'stack-them-high-sell-them-cheap' philosophy. The issue of being a customer as opposed to a number is further applicable in paying for extras as you have to provide a 'payment card' which is issued at check-in, then sign every chit for everything ordered.

Our room was fine, noisy plumbing from our own toilet almost drowned out the other noisy plumbing from other rooms, but nothing could compete with the noise from the corridor, even one couple walking past chatting quietly to one another can easily be heard as if they were in the room beside you, the internal doos must be made of paper. Twice during my first hour in the room I got up thinking that the door was open, to find it firmly shut.

In fairness almost everything worked pretty well, the pool was fine and clean and the simple spa was spot on. Unfortunately the 'Musak' piped into the public areas was via a really shonky PA system which buzzed and crackled to such an extent that we had to find a quiet lounge where it was not being played.

Our packed lunches were wrong (both days) and our bill on departure was also wrong, all were corrected, but.......

For what we paid, we got a great deal, but I am very glad we were not paying the advertised price, my recommendation is based on what we paid.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
BobWalker, General Manager at Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 20 July 2010
Many thanks for you response to your recent visit with us and i do appreciate the time you have taken.
I was really surprised to read your comments as i would have thought such strong thoughts would have warranted a few minutes of my time on a one to one basis however this did not happen and i have read all the points you have highlighted during your stay with us and as i have mentioned in the past they will all be discussed and actioned thoroughly.
There is one point which i would highlight is the hotel was built in the early 70's and it is extremely difficult to disguise that point however we do try our best to do so.
It is our aim to always try and improve our service to our guests and your comments are valued.

Travellers are raving about these Craignure hotels

Largs Scotland
Reviewed 16 July 2010

Returned to this hotel after really enjoying our stay last year and found it to be every bit as good. The staff, many of whom were there last year too, were extremely friendly and keen to please. Each evening at dinner the four of us enjoyed our meal which was well presented and tasty. The rooms are perhaps a bit dated but are very clean and have fabulous views.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank DunyaLargsScotland
BobWalker, General Manager at Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 22 July 2010
Thank you for your positive response regards your recent stay with us and i will pas on your comments to the staff concerned. I have said many times before that feed back from our guests is vital to our success and i appreciate the time you have taken to respond.
Holmfirth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2010

Room:
Brown. Think 1970s motorway travel lodge.
Size was ok. Bathroom was depressing, another throw back to 1970s decor.
View from room was very pretty.
Big brown curtains kept light out well, so good sleep.

Location:
Right next to Craignure ferry port, so handy for arriving and leaving the Island. Wouldn't stay here without your own transport as there is nothing around the hotel.

Spa:
The only reason to stay at this hotel would be to use the spa. However, if you haven't booked in advance, you won't get a treatment, so we tried the outdoor hot tub which turned out to be a tepid tub. Service in the spa was pretty poor. Sauna and pool ok, no complaints there.

Value:
We paid £145 for a double room for one night. We did have 2 nights in Mull, but couldn't bear to be ripped off for another night. The room is like a £39 a night travel lodge. The feel of the hotel is corporate and soulless. We'd suggest you find a cheaper B&B with more character.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
BobWalker, General Manager at Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 July 2010
Many thanks for taking the time to review your visit to Mull. I was really sorry you did not find a few minutesof your time to speak to me personnally regards your comments on trip advisor.
Yes the hotel was built in the 70's however over recent years a great deal of commitment has been imputted to bring the hotel up to date. We do strive to make our guests stay with us a pleasant experience however it would seem we have failed in your experience and for that i apologise.
From comments we receive from various sources similar to tripadvisor it helps and assists us in improving our service to our guests.We never look at a comment from our guests as negative but approach the view that we must improve on a continual basis from any point that they may have highlighted be it good or indifferent
scotland
Reviewed 7 July 2010

I was abit wary about coming to this hotel (had booked room for 3nights) after reading previous reviews. I contacted the hotel directly regarding my concerns after reading the reviews - especially about the food and how far away from reception/dining area rooms were. I was asured that the room alocated to me (Room 12) was very near reception - (It isn't) and receptionist said to ignore reviews as "Can't please everybody". Was still abit concerned arrived with an open mind. Going along to the room there was a horrible "Musty - Damp" smell which was also coming into my room. I said to reception who said they couldn't smell anything but it was actually the smell of the wet trees!!! I can assure you that it wasn't!!! I asked to changed rooms and was advised that no rooms were available!!!! I then had the experience of dinner. I was booked in for 7.45pm and arrived at 7.40pm only to be told by a waitress that I was too early and she kept going on, rather rudely, about me being 5mins early. She then took me too my table which was all set for me and also reserved so what was the problem???? The waiter came to take my food order but at no point did anyone ask if I wanted a drink!!!!!! The soup was very very bland and then at one point, after I put down my spoon for a second (still trying to eat soup) the waitress from before comes and takes clean cutlery from me??? Didn't even ask if I had finished soup to take that away!!!! I then had the chicked - which was like rubber and was clearly reheated!! It was at this point I decided I had had enough and decided that I was only going to stay the one night!!! I so wish I had trusted my instinct, as well as tripadvisor, regarding this hotel and booked somewhere else!!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
Many thanks for your comments after your stay with us. I was surprised that you did not contact me directly. The receptionist informed me of your concerns after your arrival and i did come to your room on two occassions however on both you were out. I did leave a message under your door on the second visit asking you to contact me however this did not happen.
The comments on the damp smell i can only presume was coming from ouside as we do not have a problem within the hotel.
Your views on the hotel food i do find surprising as we receive positive feed back from our guests.
On saying all this you obviously did have an experience which you would not want to repeat and for this i apologise. We do strive to make our customers stay with us a pleasant experience however on this occassion in your view we failed.
Scotland
Reviewed 5 July 2010

we really enjoyed our stay - included evening meal. Staff very helpful and food tasty. Pool an excellent size. Rooms well fitted out but only issue is the soundproofing which could be better.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
BobWalker, General Manager at Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 7 July 2010
Many thanks for your kind words regards your recent visit to Mull. I will certainly pass on your comments to the staff concerned.
We do work extremely hard on our customer care and it is the heart of what the company is all about. Feed back from our guests is so important.
Kinross
Reviewed 4 July 2010

I visited with my 90 year old mother in June staff were very helpful changing rooms to accommodate my mother's mobility needs without me requesting it. Loved the sea views and also the outdoor jacuzzi. Wild life in the garden which goes down to the beech. Deer were frequent visitors. Well placed for the ferry and exploring. Hotel with benefit from lift to lower floor and garden patio

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Thank you for your positive feed back from your recent stay with us. We do so much require to here from our guests on their experince while staying with us. It assists in so many ways and points us on the right track so often.
Again my thanks for taking the time to respond.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Craignure
Oban Bay Hotel
Muthu Alexandra Hotel
Park Lodge Hotel
Park Lodge Hotel
#9 of 27 in Tobermory

Been to Isle of Mull Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!