“Good restaurant with a world class view”
Review of The Keel Row

The Keel Row
Ranked #3 of 3 Restaurants in Fionnphort
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: http://www.yell.com/b/The+Keel+Row+Restaurant-Restaurants+_+Pub+Food-Isle+Of+Mull-PA666BL-2000868/index.html
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Good plain food with good variety that suited old and young alike in our family. Very busy when it opens at 6pm (cos its good) but by 7pm its perfect. Leisurely drink with a call to your table in 15-20 mins. Service was freindly and good and the view while eating is just world class - really outstanding. We ate here on two consecutive nights and menu was different each night but the food was good on both occaisons.

1  Thank jcgp00001

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Food was pretty good. Slightly better than usual pub grub. There was a lot of choice on the menu. Service was excellent. However we had to wait over an hour for a table. Get there when the restaurant opens at 6 if you don't want to wait (especially if it is raining in the summer, the pub is one of the only places to eat near to the wonderful campsite at Fidden Farm).

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We were staying at the nearby Fidden campsite over the weekend & had plans to be cooking our own food. However, after walking up Ben More on the Saturday we decided that it would be much better to let someone else cook for us. Good call! The bar was quite busy early Saturday evening & we were told that a table for four would be about twenty minutes wait so we sat in the public bar & enjoyed a beer. The staff all seem very friendly & welcoming & the choice of drinks was very good. Both my brother & I had Guinness which was cold, well poured & went down a treat! We were called to the restaurant where the good service continued. Our waitress was attentive & seemed genuinely interested in our weekend on Mull. The food was served quickly, very generous portions & was very well cooked. I started with the Highland Platter, local venison & cheese followed by haddock & chips. My other half had haggis balls & chips which she said was very tasty. None of us left disappointed! If you're in the Fionnphort area you would be doing yourself a terrific favor by heading to The Keel Row for dinner.

1  Thank Martin G
Reviewed 27 July 2014

No reservations taken here so you need to learn their check-in system, enjoy a drink, and wait for the food - it is worth it! More gourmet than you would expect. Great soups, fresh fish, delish desserts. Everything homemade, much locally sourced.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I came here with my family two nights in a row while we were touring the Ross of Mull.

The food was exceptional; very well-made, and reasonable prices for fair portions. None of us went home unsatisfied.

A lot of the food is locally-sourced, - such as the Tobermory rainbow trout which was a special when we were there, - and the Mini Haggis Supper starter. It doesn't get more Scottish than battered, deep-fried haggis. Personally, I'd recommend the lasagne, and the trout.

The staff made us feel welcome, and were very friendly throughout the night. A couple of reviewers have mentioned a rude, 40-something server, but he wasn't there on the nights we were there (Saturday and Sunday.)

I was surprised at the value of the food. The Keel Row is the only restaurant - as far as I know - in this area of the island, so I was expecting to have to pay lots for lazy food, but this wasn't the case. For a family of three, drinks, starters, main courses, and a cheese platter to share came to about £60, which isn't bad, in my opinion.

My only complaint is how busy it was; both nights we had to wait over 45 minutes for a table, but we didn't feel under pressure to leave quickly. Luckily, there's a bar right next to the restaurant, where you can open a tab for the night, including food. Also, there's free WiFi, which was an absolute godsend, as the south side of Mull has literally no phone signal whatsoever. Not just no 3G; you can't even send a text, let alone upload photos to Facebook.

Overall, a great place, nice staff, very good food, not too bank-breaking. If you're coming back on the last ferry from Iona, or just in the area looking for some food, this is really the only place to go, but even if there were other places to choose from, I think I'd still want to come here.

1  Thank Jon L