“Highlight of our trip”
Review of Sea Life Surveys

Sea Life Surveys
More attraction details
Owner description: Sea Life Surveys, established over 30 years ago in 1982, was the first and is now the most experienced whale watching, porpoise, shark and dolphin watching, marine survey, and education programme in the UK. Establishing the Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust in 1992, Sea Life Surveys is still actively conducting a research programme focused on the Minke whale and contributing directly to marine conservation.
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Saw one of their boats while in Tobermory for the day and decided to look at the trips they offered on the spur of the moment. Decided to book the 2 hour Eco trip as I had 3 children with me. Cost £75 I think. I really don't think the staff could have crammed more into a 2 hour trip than they gave us. Porpoise, jelly fish, plankton under a microscope,a hydrophone to listen to the sounds under the sea, sea birds, seals, a salmon farm, heron, taking in some creel pots where they had managed to find some crabs which the kids got to hold, quiz for the kids, history lessons and information on where we were, refreshments. Staff were so friendly and knowledgeable, even provided the kids staff jackets when they got cold. Would not hesitate to recommend this to other people with young children. Kids loved it, as did I. I'm also sure I missed some things out as there was so much happening and check out https://www.facebook.com/ProffessorPlankton?fref=ts It's run by one of the knowledgeable staff and I now know that not all of our jellyfish sting! 10/10 guys!

1  Thank June A
in 5 reviews
"wealth of knowledge"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Took the 7 hour whalewatching trip with the family - saw some minke whales a long way off, porpoises and seals. Plenty of sea birds, and watching them all in action was probably my favourite memory of the trip, along with stopping off at a small sandy, rocky island surrounded by seals.
Worth bringing some food with you, just tea, coffee and snacks on board. It also gets pretty cold up on top of the boat, although the cabin below is enclosed and sheltered.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Been out with Sealife Surveys twice on two different visits to Mull. Once on the 4 hour cruise and once on the 7 hour whale watch. Unfortunately as is the way with wildlife, its not guaranteed and we weren't blessed with any of the big ceteceans on either of our trips. However, the trip is excellent the staff very friendly, very knowledgeable and most importantly really approachable and happy to share their knowledge. On both trips we saw lots of bird life and porpoises. Its a great way to spend a day. On our most recent trip we stopped at a staggeringly beautiful place for lunch - the cairns of coll (albeit we were lucky it was flat calm and sunny!). Would I spend money and go out with Sea Life Surveys again - absolutely, great day out

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Spent a full day on the Sula Beag 7 hour whale watching trip. The boat left Tobermory promptly following an introduction to the crew, a brief of what to expect during the trip and safety/housekeeping information. The crew are very knowledgable and passionate about marine life and nature in general and took the time to answer all questions. Sadly no whales but an abundance of sea birds, white tailed sea eagle, porpoise, dolphins and seals. Plankton collection was part of the trip with samples being analysed under the microscope and projected onto screens for all to see and learn about. The highlight for me was time ashore on the Cairns of Coll for lunch. The sea was the most beautiful aqua marine colour with golden sand and the seals were playing in the shallow waters. This trip was slightly more expensive than some of the others but I had read reviews for all and believe this was worth every penny. There's complimentary tea/coffee available. We will definitely be back for another trip with sea life surveys.