“Delightful!”
Review of Highland Cottage

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tobermory
Highland Cottage
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Tobermory
Reviewed 16 July 2013

My mum and I spent 2 nights in this hotel, enjoying the wonderful hospitality of Dave and Jo and had a wonderful time. The hotel is small and a little bit quirky which only adds to its charm. it's location is perfect, just a 5 minute walk down to Tobermory Main Street. In my opinion what makes Highland Cottage is the personal touch - and the superb food. Dinner was to die for, I could think of a few places that could learn a lesson or 2 from these guys.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Highland Cottage

Reviewed 10 June 2013

High quality accommodation in a beautiful setting with a great attention to detail. Food genuinely worthy of the fine-dining tag. Jo and Dave make for superb hosts. Thanks for making our stay so pleasant with such a personal feel.

Room Tip: We had the superior room with the street view as the sea view rooms were taken. It was lovely and as...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2013

We've eaten a couple of times over the years at Highland Cottage and always had a superb meal. This year for our wedding anniversary hubbie surprised me with an overnight stay and evening meal.

After a very warm welcome by Jo, (fresh out the kitchen with timers pinging but not at all hassled), we were shown to our room, Ulva, and the residents lounge and bar area upstairs. The room was lovely, with a queen sized bed and a two seater sofa as well as plenty of clothes storage space. The room and bathroom were spotless and had lovely touches such as home-made shortbread and a proper shoe cleaning kit. The bed was also very comfy.

Dinner lived up to all expectations and was just fabulous. Again additional touches such as olives, pre-dinner nibbles (hor deouvers ??? lol) and a veloute (posh and very tasty soup) as well as your selected starter, main and pud. For £39.50 I think this is tremendous value. We both went for the Crab Cakes for Starter and the Beef Fillet for Main. The fillet just melted in the mouth. For Pud I had the Lemon Merangue Roulade which was possibly the best thing I have ever tasted and hubbie went for the Creme Brulee. Not a peep out of him all through this course so I can only assume he enjoyed it!! (I know he did cause he did a little whimper when he had the last bit)!

Tea/Coffee in the lounge followed. This is an extra £2.50 but I really don't feel this is asking too much given the standard and amount of food for the set price of £39.50. Wine is a little on the pricey side but again the standard is high and the selection is wide.

Dave is a lovely man and is attentive and chatty. I find he takes his cue from you. If you are chatting he will chat back, if its a quieter table he will just do the necessary.

Breakfast was another food extravaganza with the usual fare but plenty of hot options if you didn't want the full breakfast. We both did and it was excellent, setting us up for the day ahead.

Highland Cottage will not be to everyone's taste. If you want modern chic and anonimity then I wouldn't bother. But if you want comfort, quality and fantastic food then give it a try. Jo and Dave will welcome you with open arms. Their aim to is to run "a small hotel of quality". They most certainly do this and in our view, surpass it. Thanks again and we hope to be back again soon.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 May 2013

I stayed one night here along with my sister and husband. The bedroom was fairly small (2 single beds) and very tired looking. The bathroom was quite shabby - the bath sealant needed replacing and the shower screen had black along the bottom edge. This was easily wiped off with one of the face cloths!! When I came to use the shower the next morning I couldn't get the hot water to come through and neither could my brother in law. We mentioned this to David at breakfast but he wasn't apologetic. However, on the plus side, dinner was very good, although wine prices were a bit high. I think £150 for single occupancy is rather high.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank lawyer747
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We were warmly welcomed by Dave and helped to our rooms with baggage and served tea and coffee in the residents lounge. We had booked dinner and were pleasantly surprised with pre dinner nibbles and other niceties to enhance the dining experience. We couldn't fault the food other than being over full but that was probably our own fault! Service was friendly and reasonably efficient although there were a couple of things missing from the plates which had to be brought separately. Wines were rather expensive. Having paid £39.50 per head for dinner and £70 for wine it seemed a bit petty to be charged extra for coffee.

The rooms were very 'busy' with every horizontal surface being covered in knicknacks. Beds were comfortable once you got past the myriad of additional pillows and scatter cushions. The shower in our room didn't work, at least not at anything other than red hot, but the bath was quick to fill and there was plenty of hot water.

Breakfast was really good and varied. The quality of the ingredients was excellent. Choosing exactly what combination you wanted was easy and nothing seemed too much trouble.

Overall we had a great time, great service and great food. On a personal level maybe the over familiarity was not called for and a little intrusive.

Was the experience worth the money.....over £850 for 4 people for 2 nights B &B and one dinner........we think the jury is still out on that one.

Room Tip: Don't bother to pay additional money for a superior room. We had one double and one superior and...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Had a great visit to Tobermory, with the best part being my stay at the Highland Cottage. The owners Jo and David couldn't have been nicer, their hospitality second to none. The room and facilities were excellent and the breakfasts were wonderful!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank EileenF652
Reviewed 2 May 2013

My friend and and I stayed at the Highland Cottage over the weekend of the Mull Music festival. It was the perfect haven from the madness of main street and the pubs. David and Jo were extremely helpful and friendly and the hotel has a lovely, homely feel - beautiful items of furnture collected over many years and lovely fabrics and furnishings. The breakfasts were terrific and we found our stay relaxing and enjoyable - I'm a mum of two youngsters and I felt pampered and spoilt. Thanks David and Jo!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tobermory
The Tobermory Hotel
Mingarry Park Luxury Accommodation & Restaurant
Kilchoan House Hotel
Kilchoan House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kilchoan

Been to Highland Cottage? Share your experiences!