Western Isles Hotel
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
Arisaig Hotel(Arisaig)
View Hotel
All reviewsnew ownersdining roomconservatory barformer gloryold victorianstep back in timeworking hardreception areafantastic viewstobermory baylovely old hotelopen firetraditional hotelsea viewbreakfast and dinnercomfortable loungedrawing room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 May 2012

This was my fifth visit to Mull and the fourth time I have stayed in Tobermory. It is however the first and the last time we will stay in the Western Isles Hotel. The hotel has an unenviable setting over Tobermory Bay and it appears that this is the reason that they are able to charge rates that do not reflect the quality of the accommodation. Our room had a very nice harbour view but this did not make up for the fact that the window was unclean from the time we arrived. In addition the maid service only appeared to comprise making the bed; carpets and furniture were untouched and used shampoo and bath gel were not replaced until we drew this to reception’s attention on the last evening of a three night stay. Our room (no 26) smelt of damp on entry, had a damp patch above the bed and had a bathroom with mould round the bath. Friends staying in the hotel for the same three days also had mould round their bath. None of this is reflected in the prices being charged. On the Saturday afternoon we noticed that the lounge had a piano which was locked. An enquiry was made as to whether we might try this piano and to our disappointment we were told that this could happen without the agreement of one of the owners. My husband, a piano player of over 50 years, capable of playing classical, folk, traditional, rhythm and blues and rock and roll was very disappointed. He went on to play for between three to four hours in the Mishnish snug for anyone who cared to listen. The sunshine and views over Tobermory Harbour, together with the cheery and helpful nature of the dining room staff brightened a very disappointing choice of hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dratic
RichardNealon, Owner at Western Isles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2012

Dear Adrienne B

Thank you for leaving your review, although we're obviously disappointed. Once you had highlighted to us the shortcomings in the housekeeping, I understand that they were all rectified. My apologies that you had to bring them up in the first place.

You stayed during the Music Festival, and we make a clear policy of not having any music in the hotel during this weekend, leaving it to other establishments. As such we aim to be a calm haven during the bacchanalia on Main Street.

It would have been inappropriate to let your husband play when some guests had deliberately booked us for peace and quiet. In any case, our instrument is first class and given that we are unable to differentiate the abilities of any potential players in advance, we do restrict access to those professional musicians who are booked to play. This allows all our guests to relax and enjoy the ambience of the sitting room.

Regards

Reviewed 29 April 2012

This is our second trip to this charming old Victorian hotel; we stayed here three years ago just when the current owners had taken over. Just like our previous stay, we were made very welcome by the owners & all of the staff - the girls in the Conservator Bar were especially accommodating. We also have a Spaniel who travels with us everywhere we go & he too was made most welcome.
Our room was spotless clean, comfortable and commanded a fantastic view of Tobermory Harbour. We booked dinner, bed & breakfast for three nights but opted for an additional night due to the great time we were having & the sunny warm weather. The full Scottish cooked breakfast was fantastic, although we were initially disappointed that the ‘Stornoway’ black pudding had been replaced with ‘Cockburns’ instead. Fortunately, this disappointment was short lived as the ‘Cockburns’ proved to be more than a worthy substitute; (in fact, we now have a freezer load on its way courtesy of www.scottishgourmetfood.co.uk – and no I don’t work for them). Breakfast was made even more special as we sat in the large bay windows at the front of the Hotel which overlooked the harbour – this has to be one of the best views on the entire island.
All in all we a totally relaxing stay at this great old hotel – hopefully it won’t be another three years until we return?

Room Tip: Get to breakfast early to 'bag' the window seat!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank johnnyhepps
RichardNealon, Owner at Western Isles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2012

Dear jonnyhepps
Thank you so much for your great review, and very pleased that you managed to source the Cockburns black pudding you enjoyed to much
Hope to see you back soon

Reviewed 20 April 2012

My daughter and I stayed at the Western Isles Hotel 12-16 April and really enjoyed the hotel. All the staff were friendly and very helpful. We had booked DBB and weren't disappointed. All the meals were good, helped by the fantastic sea and harbour views from both the conservatory and the restaurant.

We had booked a sea view twin room (Macallan on the third floor) and the views were spectacular. Its definitely worth a sea or harbour view room.

The room was large as was the bathroom. I agree with other writers that the furniture was slightly tired but it is a Victorian hotel after all. The windows were all double glazed and the beds were comfortable. We were very happy with the facilities. its far better than most modern hotels could ever be!

We got a very good deal inc the ferry crossing and will certainly be back!

My only regret was the lack of local beers at the bar.

My only suggestion

Room Tip: Go or a sea view room first or a harbour view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Chris025
RichardNealon, Owner at Western Isles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2012

Dear Chris025
Thank you so much for you good review which is very much appreciated. It was a pleasure to have you both staying with us and we hope to see you back soon

Reviewed 19 April 2012

A friend and I stayed last October and were very impressed with the owner (Richard), who greeted us warmly on our arrival, along with the rest of the staff who were also a joy, especially front desk & and during breakfast service. Our room had a wonderful outlook, but was definitely in a need of a "spruce-up", although the refurb had previously been mentioned prior to our booking, so it din't come as too much of a surprise. Our only complaint was the evening meals, as we found them quite poor quality for the price charged (my pork belly was virtually inedible), so we only ate there the once, with the rest of the week spent sampling other establishments. Overall though, once the updates have been completed, this will really be a stunning hotel, in a wonderful location and with (hopefully) the same mix of upbeat, knowledgable staff. Thank you for the experience.

Room Tip: A harbour or sea-view is a must and worth the extra cost!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
RichardNealon, Owner at Western Isles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2012

Dear MarkJ
Thank you for your positive review. I'm very sorry you didnt enjoy your meal, but I hope with dealt with the problem appropriately at the time. As you may have read in other recent reviews, we have done a good deal of work to the public areas of the hotel over the winter. Whilst work to the bedrooms remain a priority, it is slowly ongoing. Next week we are installing 2 new bathrooms and redecorating 2 other bedrooms so we are progressing.
Hope to see you back soon

Reviewed 18 April 2012

We were very disappointed with our latest experience at the Western Isles Hotel. This was our 3rd time staying and I must admit it will be our last. The rooms are extortionately overpriced. £145 for a room in 3 star hotel!! I assume they justify charging this price due to the excellent views but we had one window with 4 pretty small windowpains to enjoy it through.

The food leaves a lot to be desired too. We ordered the Sunday roast and I can honestly say I wouldn't feed this to a dog! The meat was cold, the roast potatoes and Yorkshire pudding were rock solid and the paltry serving of gravy resembled and tasted like dirty water. I have never been served food like this EVER and promptly sent it back. This reminded me of our stay last year when my girlfriend found plastic in her meal! At the time the waiter merely shrugged his shoulders and said he'd inform the chef. I think we got a free espresso as compensation... Anyway, we obviously ordered something different from the menu after sending the roast dinner back and the waiter informed us at this point we would not be charged for our main course. This time we had steak and there was no problem with it at all until check out the next day. We had been billed for the mains and when we informed the receptionist of their mistake she bluntly denied to deduct the amount from the bill. This almost left as bad a taste in our mouths as the food the night before!

We were also expecting some changes and upgrades to the hotel as they claim to be in the process of renovating but in the past 2 years the only change i've noticed is the garden seems to have closed. It is a real shame as this hotel is obviously trading on former glory. It does have some real island charm but this is no excuse for dirty carpets, bad service and over inflated prices. Some small changes could make a difference but I wont be back to check. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank finny48

Dear finny48
I am very sorry you didnt enjoy your meal with with us and were very disappointed with the service. Had you raised these issues at checkout then I would have dealt with them personally. There are a number of related issues that we could have discussed as well, however Tripadvisor is not the appropriate forum for doing so.
Suffice to say, that in the time since you last stayed with us we have:
- completely redecorated the lounge and dining room
- introduced new Lloyd Loom furniture in the conservatory
- the garden has had some work done to it, but it is some 16 years since it was last open to guests
Best regards