Western Isles Hotel
Arisaig Hotel(Arisaig)
US$155
Travelocity
Highland Cottage(Tobermory)
No availability for your dates from our partners
Cnoc-na-Faire(Arisaig)
  • Breakfast included
  • Beachfront
All reviewsnew ownersdining roomconservatory barformer gloryold victorianstep back in timeworking hardreception areafantastic viewstobermory baylovely old hotelopen firetraditional hotelsea viewbreakfast and dinnercomfortable loungedrawing room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We came here for a wee spring get away in amongst a busy time at work. Having not been to Mull or Tobermory before we were keen to pick a hotel that would help us relax and offered us a good point from which to explore. We were not disappointed.

We had a very comfortable stay in this fantastic, character-filled hotel. The panoramic views back over Tobermory and the sea are stunning and we enjoyed them both from the breakfast room and from our bedroom. Being a Victorian building the windows area huge and the rooms well furnished, so we regularly enjoyed reading by the window of our room with a cup of tea in hand.

The staff were helpful and helped us devise our itinerary. There are some great pubs and restaurants on the hotel's doorstop.

The breakfast was very good and offered a wide selection. It was great to see so much locally sourced produce on the menu.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank HMA502
RichardNealon, Owner at Western Isles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear HMA502

I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay so much and the staff were able to make your stay all the more special. Thank you for leaving such a wonderful review and we hope to welcome you back soon

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Staying at this hotel was like stepping back into the past complete with its faded grandeur, making it more affordable for the general traveller. Service is excellent, our room was very comfortable and the views from the front rooms are amazing, as you are perched high over Tobermory Bay. The climb to the hotel is short but steep. We were leaving on a very early ferry to return to the mainland and, in lieu of breakfast, we were provided with a very generous packed lunch. The greatest feature was the lovely deep bath, perfect after a hard day of hiking.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front have amazing views, but I would also imagine the views over the surrounding countryside are quite inspiring.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank LynetteKM

Dear LynetteKM

A wonderful review that is such a pleasure to read. Thank you for sharing your experience with everyone

Reviewed 30 May 2014

My husband and I spent 3 nights here recently and had no complaints about the hotel, food or staff. Yes.. the hotel is old but that adds to its charm. The staff were exteremely friendly and most helpful. The food was locally sourced and very well presented... some of the best meals we have had in recent years. My husband thought the oysters were on par with anything served in London 5 star establishments. I would definitely recommend this hotel to those who don't want the run of the mill experience. On a nice day the views from the veranda and dining room are exceptional

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear bigmama9

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to leave such a terrific review, it really is appreciated by us all

Hope to welcome you back to Tobermory soon

Best wishes

Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed overnight, dinner, bed and breakfast as a locals special offer and had a great experience. The room was lovely and had a view over Tobermory Bay. Dinner was beautiful and the service was excellent, especially considering it was a full dining room and most of the diners were personally known to the waiting staff which must have made things more difficult for them, but they remained professional throughout. I will certainly return and if I didn't live here I would take advantage of the special off-season offers that I know the hotel runs. Keep doing what you're doing, as you're doing it well.

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank Karen W

Dear Karen W

Thank you so much for your wonderful review which is very much appreciated. Hope to see you back in the hotel soon

Reviewed 29 May 2014

My husband & I recently stayed at the Western Isles Hotel for 2 nights. The hotel is a grand old building in a wonderful location and although I had read the reviews before booking, I was disappointed. I had read that the hotel was a ' work in progress' which it certainly is. Our room had a view to die for which I would never tire of but there were some things which did not warrant the £125 per night price tag. The decor was very tired and there were several signs of water ingress, it took 2 people to open & close the window which was wedged open with a block of wood, there was no electric socket anywhere near the dressing table (for using the hairdryer) and there was nowhere in the bathroom to keep toiletries etc. except on the top of the cistern or on the floor. Our room had an over bath shower, which I'm not a fan of but what made it even worse, as it was an old bath it was rather high to step in and out of and the creaky floorboards were what woke us in the morning. The food in the restaurant was generous in portion size but of average quality and the service was pretty poor; we had to wait almost 30 minutes for our main course after our starters were cleared away even although the restaurant wasn't particularly busy. On the plus side as mentioned earlier, the view was wonderful, the beds were extremely comfortable and the bed linen and towels were of a high quality. The hotel was very quiet, except for the very creaky floorboards, even although there were young children and dogs staying. All in all, the Western Isles has the makings of an excellent 4* hotel but it still has a long way to go which should be reflected in the price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the bay on the top floor (no creaky floorboards above you!)
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LadyEmilyAshton

Dear LadyEmilyAshton

Thank you for leaving a review, and I'm sorry you seem to be disappointed. There are lots of points your raise, but I would just like to reply to a couple of things.

The view that you were able to enjoy does not come free. Our council rates are absurdly high because of our location, and we have to pay a premium for just about all our supplies because our suppliers have to bring things over on the ferry from the mainland. Combined with this, our season is a short one - so stay with us from November until February and you'll probably pay less than half the summer rate. But choose to stay in the summer, then we have to charge the prices we do otherwise the hotel is uneconomic. Obviously we have to balance occupancy with the prices we charge, but our questionnaire results indicate that the majority of guests believe we offer good - excellent value for money.

I'm very curious to know what made you think we were trying to be 4 star. There are dozens of reasons why the hotel will never be 4 star: the economic impracticality of installing a lift; the cosy size of some of the bathrooms and the sheer impossibility of charging 4 star prices and achieving a reasonable occupancy. So we are proudly 3 star, and have no intention of aspiring to anything grander.

And yes we do have creaky floorboards and in places there is evidence of water ingress. The hotel was built in 1883 using Victorian technology, so its not water tight and the old dame creaks a little. Its not perfect, and most of our guests don't expect it to be. In fact, its character that many people are looking for.

Is a shame you didn't bring some of the issues you mention up when you were here, had you brought them up at the time I would have been able to rectify some of them then and there, and certainly explained some of the others. In any case I hope this goes some way to explaining the challenges of hotel keeping on a West Coast island

Regards