“A Trip Back in Time”
Review of Hebridean Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Broadford
Hebridean Hotel
Ranked #12 of 26 Broadford B&B and Inns
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“A Trip Back in Time”
Reviewed 17 November 2011

WOW! If you wish to experience the 1980s then this is the place to come, walking through the front door is like having your very own time portal.

The decor, fixtures and fittings are a blast from the past. The Mansard Roof encroaches into the corridor and room on the top floor, it feels as if you are walking in a boat that is listing badly.

On a positive, the Hotel and Room including bathroom were clean. The food on offer is basic but of adequate quality, it is inexpensive and you do get what you pay for.

The couple that looked after us in the bar are the owners and are very pleasant as was the waitress that looked after us during the meal.

I only stayed one night, could i stay for more, probably, i got a fantastic nights sleep maybe as a result of covering close on 350 miles in the day plus a sail to Raasay.

The eye candy was very acceptable so a good excuse for a return visit.

Room Tip: Room at the back away from the main road
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Sawbridgeworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2011

The Hebridean is not really my cup of tea, but for £28 a night including breakfast it is worth every penny.

So ok, the single rooms have a shared bathroom, which is adequate with a good shower and is clean enough for me.

My bedroom needed a serious make over, it was very dated, but I must add clean. A small portable TV, Tea making facilities and a hand basin with mirror were available. The bed was comfortable enough. The highlight of the room was most definately the wonderful view of broadford bay.

Their was enough on the breakfast menu to keep most happy, I had the full english and it was tasty enough.

I decided to have my evening meal there as well (at an extra cost). I noticed a number of people coming in and buying fish and chips to take away, this despite a fish and chip shop 5 minutes down the road. I finished my plate, it was very nice and now I know why people come here for takeaway.

The rest of their bar menu came pretty much with chips, chips and more chips. Saying that it was all good honest tasy food. There was also a more a' la carte menu which I never ate from.

I enjoyed a couple of beers in the bar on occasion and found the land lady pleasent enough to chat to.

I've got to be honest, I wasn't paying for the hotel, it's not my cup of tea, but I cannot knock it for good old honest value for money.

Room Tip: If you want an ensuite then book a double room
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank AlexJames1976
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Stayed for 3 nights in July (one more than originally intended), staff very friendly and nothing seems too much trouble, nice breakfasts with lots of variety, with takeout meals cooked to order, bed was surpisingly comfortable for the price. How could you complain?

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank LordMacleod
paisley
Reviewed 5 July 2011

We had a holiday rental down the road so didnt stay here - but had dinner.
Dinner was tasty and not badly priced.
You can get takeaway from this hotel - which covers the usual fish and chips, scampi, curry and rice etc. The only annoying thing about the takeaway bit was that the hotel could not provide you with a "takeaway menu" which was really not helpful. They told us they only had one menu behind the bar. Would recommend hotel photocopies takeaway menu like every other takeaway or business in this respect will suffer.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank marlinPaisley
highlandgerry, Owner at Hebridean Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2011
I'm glad you enjoyed your meal, We do strive to serve good food at value for money prices.

I do take your point about our Take-Away menus, but at the start of the season we do put out menus (restaurant and take-away) to many of the local B&Bs and Holiday Cottages. Some of the owners do not live on Skye and we don't like to put unsolicited leaflets through people's doors so if no-one asks us then they won't have them.

Take - Away menus can usually be found on the table in the foyer, but they do run out so in this case I can only apologise. Normally I could have printed one off on request but after a fall I'm not working at present.

Hope you enjoyed your holiday.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2011

If you're planning a trip to the Isle of Skye, please do not choose to stay in this hotel. We stayed here during a business trip and it is actually the worst hotel I have ever set foot in. Very unfriendly, unhelpful and unwelcoming owners. Very basic accommodation with uncomfortable bed and no en-suite. The whole hotel needs a make-over. The only pros are decent location and not bad views of the bay.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
highlandgerry, Owner at Hebridean Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2011
What can I say? I'm pleased that Zoomflip was happy with the location and the views over the bay, but as for the rest of the review I feel he is complaining about the wrong people. To moan about the rooms not being en-suite isn't really fair as the rooms that were booked were single rooms with shared bathroom facilities, which is exactly what they received, the person booking the rooms was offered double or twin en-suite rooms or our single rooms with shared facilities and chose the single rooms. I'm afraid there isn't much we can do about that.
Yes our accommodation is basic but most people would agree that it is clean and comfortable, and the single rooms at £28 per night (inclusive of 20% VAT) with free WiFi and breakfast are good value. If there was a problem with the bed, had it been brought to our attention we could have tried to resolve it
As for the owners being "unfriendly, unhelpful and unwelcoming" - there are only 2 of us, one of which was in bed for 22 hours of each day of his stay after falling and splitting my skull. The other owner, my wife, was working each day from before 7 am till after midnight so may have been tired but I cannot imagine she was as described.
If Zoomflip is the person we think, he stayed with us for 2 nights, after check-in he wasn't seen again till 11.30pm. He and his companions came back into the hotel at this time as my wife was closing the bar, everyone else having gone to bed. She was more than happy to re-open and serve them drinks - very unfriendly, unhelpful and unwelcoming. Although they were slightly earlier the next night it followed a similar pattern.
It takes two to be friendly, if a customer or customers choose to have a drink and sit as far away from the bar as possible we can only assume they want their own company and as such we try to respect their wishes.
Zoomflip obviously did not enjoy his stay and I'm sorry for that but I do think that he should be complaining to the person who booked the rooms. We can only do as we are asked.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2010

would stay here again in a heartbeat staff were friendly and food was fab i went at end of season with my dad and we decided to stay for 3 days instead of 2 due to service and the location have told family and fiends to stay here in future when going to skye.the food was lovely and service was fab.took me a while to get to sleep but the noise was kept fairly quiet and was getting used to the area noise anyway fab value for money

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank crissie1987
West Yorkshire
Reviewed 1 October 2010

I cant imagine how others describe this place as comfortable and relaxing, I just imagine the owners / friends must put their reviews on
The price was good and the room was clean and the breakfast was good but room was so lacking in simple creature comforts it was ridiculous, for the sake of a few pictures a couple of peices of bedroom furniture the room was less welcoming than a some barracks I have stayed in. The handbasin was cracked, a smell of damp everywjere, wallpaper coming off the ceiling and the stair carpet needed cleaning or replacing. There was however a brand new 3D TV in the bar perhaps this indicates the owners priorities. A place you wish to spend as little time as possible in. Maybe good enough for a 1 night sleepover but not for a holiday.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
highlandgerry, Owner at Hebridean Hotel, responded to this review, 8 October 2010
I'm sorry that mickaddingham didn't enjoy his stay, we don't claim to be a luxury hotel, there are plenty of top class hotels on Skye if that is what people are looking for, our rooms are basic but clean and comfortable - and are priced accordingly.

He says that he can't imagine how others can describe the place as comfortable and relaxing, but perhaps if he had spent some time in the lounge bar with the brand new 3D TV (which is there for the benefit of ALL our guests) then maybe he might have.

The Hebridean Hotel runs at 90% occupancy all year and more than 50% of our guests have stayed with us before - many of them come back year after year. The majority of our guests do not use Trip Advisor but I think that it is insulting to the ones that do, who have enjoyed their stay, to say that they must be friends of the owners.

He is right when he says that the paper is hanging off the ceiling in his room, unfortunately someone in the room above left a tap running, this will be rectified as soon as we have a 4 day spell with no bookings (with a busy small hotel this isn't easy but will certainly be carried out before next season - as will his cracked wash basin)

The stair carpet was a mistake, a white carpet in a hotel on Skye with our weather wasn't the best idea and although it doesn't look clean I can assure him it is not dirty. When it was put in it looked magnificent for about 2 weeks !!

I do not believe that there is a smell of damp everywhere.

I hope the rest of his holiday was more enjoyable for him, he obviously booked the wrong place when he booked the Hebridean, as I've said before, what we offer is a clean, basic room with a good bed, 8 channel TV, tea & coffee making facilities, free WiFi in most rooms and good home cooked food in the Lounge/ Restaurant - all at value for money prices.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadford
Dunollie Hotel
#2 of 6 in Portree
Saucy Marys Lodge
Saucy Marys Lodge
#3 of 3 in Kyleakin

Been to Hebridean Hotel? Share your experiences!