“Cheap, Clean, Functional but Very Austere”
Review of Hebridean Hotel

Hebridean Hotel
Ranked #12 of 26 Broadford B&B and Inns
West Yorkshire
“Cheap, Clean, Functional but Very Austere”
Reviewed 1 October 2010

I cant imagine how others describe this place as comfortable and relaxing, I just imagine the owners / friends must put their reviews on
The price was good and the room was clean and the breakfast was good but room was so lacking in simple creature comforts it was ridiculous, for the sake of a few pictures a couple of peices of bedroom furniture the room was less welcoming than a some barracks I have stayed in. The handbasin was cracked, a smell of damp everywjere, wallpaper coming off the ceiling and the stair carpet needed cleaning or replacing. There was however a brand new 3D TV in the bar perhaps this indicates the owners priorities. A place you wish to spend as little time as possible in. Maybe good enough for a 1 night sleepover but not for a holiday.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
highlandgerry, Owner at Hebridean Hotel, responded to this review, 8 October 2010
I'm sorry that mickaddingham didn't enjoy his stay, we don't claim to be a luxury hotel, there are plenty of top class hotels on Skye if that is what people are looking for, our rooms are basic but clean and comfortable - and are priced accordingly.

He says that he can't imagine how others can describe the place as comfortable and relaxing, but perhaps if he had spent some time in the lounge bar with the brand new 3D TV (which is there for the benefit of ALL our guests) then maybe he might have.

The Hebridean Hotel runs at 90% occupancy all year and more than 50% of our guests have stayed with us before - many of them come back year after year. The majority of our guests do not use Trip Advisor but I think that it is insulting to the ones that do, who have enjoyed their stay, to say that they must be friends of the owners.

He is right when he says that the paper is hanging off the ceiling in his room, unfortunately someone in the room above left a tap running, this will be rectified as soon as we have a 4 day spell with no bookings (with a busy small hotel this isn't easy but will certainly be carried out before next season - as will his cracked wash basin)

The stair carpet was a mistake, a white carpet in a hotel on Skye with our weather wasn't the best idea and although it doesn't look clean I can assure him it is not dirty. When it was put in it looked magnificent for about 2 weeks !!

I do not believe that there is a smell of damp everywhere.

I hope the rest of his holiday was more enjoyable for him, he obviously booked the wrong place when he booked the Hebridean, as I've said before, what we offer is a clean, basic room with a good bed, 8 channel TV, tea & coffee making facilities, free WiFi in most rooms and good home cooked food in the Lounge/ Restaurant - all at value for money prices.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
West of Scotland
Reviewed 12 September 2010

Stayed here for three nights while mountain walking on Skye. Found the owners friendly and quietly efficient. Bedroom was very clean, well equipped for the price, and had great views out to sea. The shower was powerful (better than many more expensive hotels). Didn't dine in the hotel other than breakfast, which was plentiful and well-cooked. This is not a multi-star establishment but represented good value for the price and I would certainly stay again. There was a large car park. Only downside of the second-floor room was traffic noise from the adjacent road as I am a light sleeper, however the road was not continuously busy.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Morecambe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2010

We had several meals at the Hebridean on a recent visit to Skye. Breakfast was very good with plenty of choice. Evening meals were excellent especially the Macaroni Cheese and the Hebridean Chicken. Jerry and Heather really put themselves out for you. Maybe that is why they appear knackered! Would certainly go back.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2010

The hotel is clean, friendly and has plenty of parking. Heather and Jerry make you very welcome and nothing is to much bother. Children are very safe in the hotel and there is plenty of room for them to play in without being a nuiscance to other guests.. The food is FABULOUS!!! The only downside is trying to decide what to have for dinner as everything is very nice - I have to recommend the Hebredian Chicken and the Macaroni Cheese - you will not taste better any where.

We look forward to going back many times.

Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 22 August 2010

Bed rather uncomfortable which gave me backache. Shower not working one night/morning so had to use the one downstairs.

On the plus side very good breakfast and employ a Spanish ? person who is very nice and helpful. Ample free parking across the road but it does need repairs as it has deep holes which need filling.

Left with the impression owner was exhausted / knackered.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
highlandgerry, Owner at Hebridean Hotel, responded to this review, 31 August 2010
What can I say, we have been working 7 days a week, minimum of 15 hours a day since March, we do try to be friendly, I suspect that most guests would agree that my wife is normally very friendly (although I am the grumpy old chef hiding out in the kitchen!!)

I'm pleased to see we got high scores for Value and for Cleanliness but would like to point out that the showers have always been working. One day we were informed that the shower was not working, but the guest had not switched on the power outside the bathroom door. ( I don't know if this was Honeymonsterontour.)

This is the first time anyone has complained about a bed, but if Honeymonster would care to email us stating which room he stayed in, we will certainly look into it.

Gerry & Heather
Owners
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 18 August 2010

I spent two nights at the hotel and was quite happy with it. The room was clean and had a nice view to the bay. The only problem was that between the hotel and the water there was a relatively busy road. So it was difficult to sleep with the window open. Also, the walls are pretty thin (I heard my neighbour snoring). The food at the hotel was very good, both for dinner and breakfast (try the smoked salmon).

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2010

I had a two night stay booked at the Hebridean but ended up staying for only one night.

The room was basic, but adequate and the communal bathroom spotless, with a shower I was very much looking forward to using.

However, I didn't get a chance to shower, so there wasn't even a silver lining.

At night I headed to bed early after a long day of travelling, and unfortunately was right above the bar/restaurant. There was a bit of a racket from downstairs, but it was early and I figured it would all die down by about half 11 (which is normal pub kicking out time). Alas, it wasn't to be and at half 1 the noise was still going on. Even my iPod headphones didn't drown it out.

The owners were seriously at fault for neglecting guests who weren't burning the midnight oil, at the very least they could have turned the jukebox off come midnight. And as they were serving drinks to their residents, I didn't feel comfortable making a complaint.

After a mere five hours sleep I decided to leave a day early, cutting my trip short.

Travellers beware - the Hebridean seems to care little about guests who don't want to fill their till with drink money.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
I'm sorry PrincessMuse didn't enjoy her stay, I can assure her that the jukebox was turned down at midnight and was turned off at 12.30.
Unfortunately a hotel has to try to cater for all its guests and some guests choose a hotel rather than a B&B because it has a bar, they are on holiday and they want to enjoy themselves. On the night in question some guests maybe were a bit noisy, but no-one was in the bar at 1.30 (other than my wife and myself, and we were certainly not partying !!). All our guests had left by 1.00am.

When we retired at 1.30 upstairs was noisy, the girl next to PrincessMuse was tatking to friends around the world on SKYPE - using the hotel's WiFi. She was asked to keep it quierer and she willingly did so.

A guest on the floor directly above had fallen asleep with the volume on his TV set quite loud and we couldn't wake him - he had a bottle of vodka in his room - this is something we have no control over. We had to switch the hotel's TV system off to stop the noise.

The reason we put PrincessMuse above the bar was she only had to share the bathroom with one other room. Had she said that she wanted an early night we could have arranged a room on the top floor, although with the TV problem, on this particular night she may still have been disturbed.

We can only apologise and can assure her we care about all our guests.

Gerry & Heather
Owners
Also consider these accommodations in or near Broadford
Dunollie Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,010 reviews
Broadford House Skye
Broadford House Skye
#25 of 26 in Broadford

Been to Hebridean Hotel? Share your experiences!