MacKinnon Country House Hotel
US$147
US$142
  • Breakfast included
Kyle Hotel(Kyle of Lochalsh)
US$128
US$235
US$427
US$196
Orbitz.com
Hotel Eilean Iarmain(Sleat)(Great Value!)
US$221
Priceline
US$232
US$164
All reviewshonesty barisle of skyedining room isstayed here for two nightsfull scottish breakfastbreakfast was excellentpoached eggscarolbridgeearsmainland
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 October 2011

We stayed for 2 nights here. When we arrived the receptionist really did not speak to us during check in process. This was uncomfortable. I had asked for a ground floor room so we were in the lodge building behind the main hotel. The room was large and comfortable,but, we could see that the carpet had not been vacuumed before our arrival. We did eat one evening meal here and it was very good.This place has the potential to be very nice.

Reviewed 16 September 2011

I booked the MacKinnon Country House hotel for an evening meal on the recommendation of another guest-house further down the road. I almost didn't bother to turn up as the receptionist had been distinctly unfriendly on the telephone, making me feel that perhaps outside dinner guests were not really welcome. However, as there didn't appear to be any other good restaurants in the area we went ahead with the booking. I have to say that the lady on reception was as disdainful in person as she was on the phone - not even bothering to smile or look me in the eye when I confirmed our arrival! Once in the dining room however, the atmosphere completely changed, and we were served a delicious meal which everone enjoyed, so our compliments to the chef. Many thanks also to Sandra, the wonderful waitress who went out of her way to make us feel like special guests. She is a real treasure!!! I am glad we saw the evening out and stayed (in spite of the initial frosty welcome).

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sawbo_Tripper
Reviewed 15 September 2011

First impressions of this hotel are really good. It looks very stately from the exterior, with lovely grounds. The entrance is grand and, although a bit worn, still has an air of grandeur. There is much potential; but there's just something about the MacKinnon that makes you feel like you need to keep your voices down. We received no greeting at all from the woman at the front desk. Not a word. In fact, I felt unwelcome. I basically carried what little conversation there was until she presented us with our two room keys and proceded to give us a hard time about providing our passports, although we are UK residents (albeit with foreign accents.) Oh, she did announce that she was "proudly English" which seemed a bit of a strange thing for someone to say who is running a Scottish inn. Nonetheles, our two rooms in the annex were clean, warm and very comfortable. Loved the touches of plaid--carpet, draperies, cushions, etc....also appreciated the complimentary dram of whiskey provided in pretty decanters in both rooms. The honour-bar off the main entrance adds to the quirky charm of the main house. One of our rooms was a family suite which had ample space for the four of us. My elderly parents were accomodated in a first floor twin room, with easy access as requested. The diningroom is formal and although the food at both breakfast and dinner was supurb we still had this uneasy feeling, like we needed to whisper. I think what this place needs is a good dose of customer service. A friendly greeting upon arrival and more cheerful staff in the diningroom. Still, I would stay here again if only to give it a second chance to redeem itself.

Room Tip: There is no lift in the annex for disabled guests.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank summafunmum
Reviewed 11 September 2011

We stayed here for two days in September as a base for exploring the Isle of Skye. The hotel has an "honesty" bar, two comfortable sitting rooms, a restaurant, and is surrounded by lovely green gardens. It is right across the bridge from the Scottish mainland. The hotel serves dinner as well as breakfast, and we ate here both nights. Dinner is a leisurely affair, beginning with a menu perusal in the sitting rooms. The restaurant is in a room lined with windows overlooking the gardens. The food was good to excellent, as was the service. The room we stayed in was located a short walk from the main hotel building and was comfortable, if not luxurious. Overall, the hotel is a little shabby, but the timeworn quality adds to the appeal, perhaps. The internet worked well. The hotel has a very friendly, home-like ambiance, and the atmosphere was certainly conducive to chatting with the other guests, which adds a lot to travel. The hotel is in Kyleakin, which is some 37 miles from Portree, the true "center" of Skye. If we had wanted to dine somewhere other than the hotel, we wouldn't have had a lot of choices without a long drive.

Reviewed 9 September 2011

We got married near by Eilean Donan Castle and booked into the Mackinnon Hotel for both our wedding meal with friends & family and also our wedding night . We had the Honeymoon suite which was gorgeous....beautifull four poster bed draped with tartan swags. The room was clean and very spacious and the bathroom looked like new. The water pressure is not the best in the shower due to the Edwardian pluming, but it does its job. Ian the owner and Heather the assistant manager did everything they could to make us feel welcome and at ease, going that extra mile which makes you feel very special guests rather than paying customers. The food (also cooked by Ian) was out of this world....truely delicious and everyone loved it. My Husband had the venison which just melted in the mouth and was so tender he cut it with a normal knife. I had the chicken wrapped in parma ham and stuffed with haggis and I can honestly say it was one of the best meals I have ever had. Ian is a genius! Our wedding breakfast the next morning was also perfection with plenty of coffee and juice available.
We loved everything about our stay from the honesty bar to the cosy lounge with open fire....and not forgetting Moss the dog! The only slight downer was Ian's rather ignorant and unsmiling wife who I believe is probably the cause of any of the bad reviews staffwise on here. I wander why she is in the Hotel trade as she obviously has no interest in making anyone feel welcome.....from myself and my Mom to the Best man and Groom. I would highly recommend this Hotel and the food to anyone, but it is a very relaxed 'Highland' attitude and not a posh luxuary hotel. If you insist on perfection then look elsewhere, if you love the unique and the homely then book yourself in (just deal with Heather and Ian and avoid the wife!).

1  Thank CelticPhotographer