“Fantastic Views”
Review of Kings Arms Hotel

Kings Arms Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kyleakin
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Stayed at the Kings Arms Hotel on the lovely Isle of Skye for 3 nights on an easy-breaks, dinner, bed and breakfast deal. Check in was quick, room was good size with a nice bathroom, all very clean. Dinner and breakfast were delicious. The staff were all very friendly. Weather was sunshine and showers but didn't dampen our holiday and the views were spectacular, would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: upstairs rooms are definitely larger.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Patricia M

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I was really disappointed with my stay here. When I checked-in, the woman behind the counter seemed put-out by my arrival (at 5pm) and she was anything but hospitable. I had a shower as soon as I got into my room only to find that the shower-head-holster was broken and I had to make do as best I could. I reported the fault at reception as I headed out for the evening but it still hadn’t been fixed by the time I returned and I had to make do with the same arrangement in the morning. I complained about the shower in the morning but my concerns were only met with rudeness (this time from a different receptionist) and no apology was offered. I’m no stranger to staying in budget hotels (although most of them are considerably less than £91 pn) and I can live with a dodgy shower & the wifi not working but what bothers me most about this place is the attitude of the staff. I very rarely put negative reviews on Trip Advisor and I am not easily offended but as my OP suggests “if you can't be hospitable, don't work in hospitality!”

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SuicideSheepdog
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We arrived around six pm and got checked in quickly and efficiently. Our room was at the rear looking down into the car park. The room was clean and tidy, the bed very comfortable and the shower worked very well with lots of steaming hot water. TV in room, kettle and tea and coffee supplies and four nice clean towels in the bathroom. This hotel has had a few negative comments recently so we were a little apprehensive before our arrival, no worries, it could do with a lick of paint and a touch up perhaps, but we found it well suited for purpose, plus the cheery staff in the dining room and the excellent breakfast really were first class.Enjoyed our stay and would have no worries about using again.

Room Tip: The views from the front rooms are excellent!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank thesandyman
Reviewed 30 June 2014

we arrived on saturday and found easy breaks had mixed up our booking i needed a ground floor room with walkin shower the receptionist changed our booking right away to what we needed we got room 10 not very big but clean and in good decorative order the only problems with it were the door was hard to open and the shower control nearly impossible to turn on , otherwise every thing was ok. as for the meals they are the biggest platefulls ive seen in any hotel if you stay here try the fish and chips they must rank as nearly the best in scotland and one platefull could feed two people the breakfasts were good as well with good sise portions well cooked the reception are is very welcoming with a fire , most the staff are non locals but speak great english and are very pleasant and good at their jobs the whole hotel seemed in good order and i seen nothing for any one to complain about the hotel was busy with one bus tour in on saturday but by timing meals it was ok its a place i would definately go again especialy for the food

Room Tip: any special needs phone hotel direct
2  Thank john g
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Never seen anything like it! Very run down in all aspects and needing a total refurbishment. Paint peeling off windows and the front door was not a welcome sight and the interior oh my goodness was awful! Smelt damp from the minute I stepped in side and as I walked along the corridor of the first floor to my room it increased and nearly choked me .... Room was average size and the ensuite was just old and needing ripped out and replaced. The room window was jammed shut and I tried to pull it open but feared the handle was come off in my hand. Shower screen was ill fitting and water all over floor :-(
Carpets in the hotel are thread bare and not acceptable standard as it wasn't cheap staying here ... Approx £80 for bed and breakfast per person per night I expect more than the kings arms hotel gave me. The place is ridden with bus tours and that's all they seemed interested in, I was told they could squeeze me in for evening meal but was informed they were chocka with buses ... Made me feel welcome NOT! Breakfast was like a dinner hall and average tasting, nothing startling but not much can go wrong with cereal toast tea etc ... Again I felt in the way as a coach load were booked in at 815am and I turned up at 8am .... Definitely would not return unless revamped to a reasonable standard.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
8  Thank JMCDBWS
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Fabulous view from front of hotel across Skye Bridge. On arrival hotel looked tired and drab. In the bedroom the curtains were dirty and damp. Windows were running with condensation. We chose not to open them as buses were parked outside with engines running at times with smell of diesel fumes.
The shower was over the bath and the pressure was hopeless. Condensation all over the bathroom and mould on the window wall. The bathroom floor was permanently wet and not fit to walk on without shoes.
There was a hole in the plasterboard by the door and no wardrobe. The rail to hang clothes was by the bathroom and, despite keeping the door shut at all times, our clothes got very damp.
Bed was VERY VERY creaky but slept OK. Food was like school dinners but OK

4  Thank Bella2009Midlands
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel out of necessity because we booked late and were short on options. Reception was chilly, a far cry from the scottish hospitality to which we'd become accustomed. The foyer is deceptively atmospheric with a warm fireplace, but it couldn't be more different from the rooms. Our room was shabby, worn out, and musty. Breakfast was average. This hotel clearly gets most of the tour buses because of its size, so they clearly don't feel the need to make any effort for their captive clientele.

3  Thank Gabalaw
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kyleakin
Dunollie Hotel
Toravaig House Hotel
The Flodigarry Hotel
The Flodigarry Hotel
#1 of 1 in Flodigarry

Been to Kings Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!