“quiet place to stay in”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kyleakin
Skye Backpackers Hostel
Reviewed 17 November 2011

I stayed in this hostel for two nights as it was part of a trip to the Isle of Skye. We were a group of 17 people so we had the place for ourselves. I stayed in a room with four other girls. The place isn't big but it was clean and I slept well (no noise). We had free wifi and a good breakfast alongside with free tea, coffee and hot chocolate. It is located in a small village so there isn't much to do by night but you can always have dinner and a few drinks at the local pub. Overall, I would recommend it for solo travellers.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 2 October 2011

I really enjoyed my stay at this hostel! Kyleakin is a lovely village and my room at Skye Backpackers offered the most gorgeous view. The staff are very friendly and happy to help everyone out. The place was really clean and just a really good atmosphere! I've recommended this hostel many times to friends.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 26 September 2011

This is such a fantatsic little hostel! It has a very homey feel and the communal kitchen and lounge are great places to meet up with fellow travellers.
The staff really know their stuff and I have visited some fantastic out-of-the-way places as a result of their reccommendations.
The place is clean and the beds are very comfy. It's easy to get around the island from the village and the staff are super friendly.

Highly reccommend Skye Backpackers to anyone looking for a good clean place to stay with lots of fun!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 September 2011

The visitors at the hostel were more friendly than the staff and the place wasn't clean at all. As soon as I entered after having an 8 hour journey there was nobody at the reception although I was assured there would be someone to welcome me. I was most dissapointed by this. When I finally got into my dorm I noticed the carpet was very dirty with stains as if it had never been cleaned. To top this off when I went to sleep, to my horror there were a few small pubic hairs on the sheets and a long ginger strand of hair near where I was meant to rest my head. I was so disgusted by everything that I had to sleep fully clothed using my own small blanket. I found the staff most unhelpful and unaproachable and will not ever go there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Irene M
Reviewed 20 August 2011

I booked a room with three single beds for me and my parents to stay overnight. The receptionist seemed nice and charged me £60 for the room but when we got there, which was a 4 hour drive she told me that she accidentally booked the room already but gave us a small dorm instead. This was absolutely ridiculous as she didn't even call me to say that a mistake had been made. On top of this when I asked for a discount for the change she said she couldn't, bearing in mind that the price per person for a dorm is £18 and she was charging me and my parents £20 each for the dorm. The staff are very unfriendly and the location is terrible as it's an hour at least to anything worth seeing. I have been to Portree Independent Hostel before and wish I had gone there instead, but I saw the ratings on this website and was sucked in. Basically a rip off hostel.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank zara I
manager026, Manager at Skye Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2011

We apologise again for this unfortunate mix up, however, the 4 bed dorm (with a view over the water) was provided as a private room and for price comparison, the dorm is more expensive than the triple room and as such, no discount was offered. Unfortunately, because the room was booked only hours before arrival, we were unable to contact you to let you know. Reception apologised for the mistake at the time and were available for any questions, advice and support during your stay which appeared to be appreciated at the time. Sincere apologies again for the mistake and I urge you to voice any concerns you have during your stay to allow people to provide solutions to your problems.

Reviewed 1 August 2011

I came to Skye backpackers from the mallaig ferry- they were easy to get to using public bus and the hostel is a 90 second walk from the bus stop...very easy to find. The ladies at the front desk are wonderful and helped me rearrange my plans once I realized my original plans weren't doable- super helpful and resourceful! The bar next door was amazing fun both nights I went: great food with live music was offered at very reasonable prices with a fun and friendly atmosphere! I stayed in the converted caravan which was great! I would probably even choose this option first next time I go...

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 1 August 2011

We had a great welcoming. Staff was awesome. But the room (double room) was not that impressive. The bed was not really a bed, but rather a mattress on top of some strange wooden construction. The was an in-room sink, but toilets and baths were shared with the other guests on the floor. These are not flaws as such, but the price was actually higher here compared to our en-suite room in Backpackers Plus in Oban (which offered hotel-like facilities). Judging from this, this hostel is quite expensive, depending on what you require or are looking for.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kyleakin
Dunollie Hotel
#4 of 6 in Broadford
Portree Youth Hostel
Portree Youth Hostel
#8 of 23 in Portree

Been to Skye Backpackers Hostel? Share your experiences!