“Working mans Inn”

Ranked #46 of 91 Portree B&B and Inns
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Working mans Inn”
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I stayed here for one night with my family (Wife and 2 kids).It was a booking I made on the night as I couldn't find another place in Portree with a family room on this evening.The lady who booked us in was very pleasant and showed us the room before we paid.The room was spacious and reasonably clean.The bathroom was rather small and the dividing walls between the rooms were paper thin , which meant when other guests who had been in the pub downstairs having a few drinks came to their room we could hear everything they were saying and doing.Staying there with 2 small kids and hearing the noise after 11 pm it wasn't very good.I was told that this is a hotel that bus trips use regularly.I would not like to see what kind of bus trips use this as I would class it in the working mans B&B and not a family or couples hotel.
The breakfast in the morning was a full english which I didn't really rate.It was made to order and when it arrived from the kitchen which was only a feww yards away it was luke warm.Again the staff were very pleasant.If I could find somwhere else in Portree I would recommend you stay there instead.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Western Isles. Scotland
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Stayed here on a Sunday night on my way back home. Room was smallish but perfectly adequate. Good shower, plenty of Tea and Coffee. Really comfy bed. Immaculately clean. The resturant was closed but the owners were only to pleased to allow us to eat our Chinese takeaway in the resturant and willingly supplied plates etc. Good bar. We needed an early breakfast in order to leave to catch the ferry. The breakfast was ready on time, served with a smile, plentiful, fresh and hot. Couldn't have asked for anything better.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Los Angeles. CA
Reviewed 15 October 2011

A hotel that does not have room enough on the stairs for your luggage. First clue that this might not be the room of your dreams. Room though was large enough, bathroom was small with a tiny little sink that seemed almost too precarious to use. Two people in our group slipped on the wet floor near the small shower stall and one had to be taken to the hospital. Food was terrible, should have gone out to the cafes around. Bar was fine. Good point about hotel is the location.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Portree hotels

Reviewed 13 October 2011

The rooms were tiny and needed cleaning. No bath mat supplied and 2 of our party slipped in the closet they called a bathroom. One ended up in hospital overnight. Staff rude and unhelpful. Food was the worst I have experienced. I would have been ashamed to serve this. It tasted like baby food mush and tasteless. I have travelled extensively and this has to to be the worst hotel/inn I have encountered. Youth hostels beat this hands down which is saying something. We were part of a tour and we will be writing to the organizers to strongly recommend that they do not subject their clients to this disgrace again. If you are unfortunate to be part of a group booking be very careful and find somewhere else to eat

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Muchtraveller
Worcester UK
Reviewed 19 September 2011

We struggled to find somewhere to ear in Portree on our first night there as everything was booked up. We chose this place as a last resort but the experience wasn't too bad. The attitude of staff varied enormously. The food was nice but unimaginative and quite pricey for what it was. I have to temper this comment though, as eating out in the Higlands and Islands of Scotland is more expensive than other parts of the UK but as there is less choice and probably higher transport costs you have to expect that. I feel that the quality of cafe/restuarant food in Scotland has improved over recent years though, but still has a way to go on average. So many of these places could be vastly improved with a bit of imagination and not much financial investment. On a general note I wish more hotels, cafes etc in Scotland offered semi skimmed milk. What is the obsession with full fat milk about? So to round up it was OK for a meal but I'm really glad that I didn't have to stay there

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Maggie Valley, North Carolina
Reviewed 14 September 2011

We were on a Trafalgar Tour that was advertised as "1st Class" While our Tongadale's room was clean and appeared to have been recently decorated, but it was oh so small. When we got in the room we understood why Trafalgar made us leave our luggage on the bus and take only a night bag to our rooms. We found the Pub to be no problem.

A three star hotel is classified as “1st Class. I don’t feel Tongadale qualifies as a one star.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jerry H
Reggio Emilia, Italy
Reviewed 24 August 2011

We stay 1 night in august, 2 adults and 1 child.
The room was just on the main road, first floor, but no noise, except for the people drinking on the street (for highlands games). Good shower and facility for the and coffee.
Breakfast very rich, the staff not so frendly.
Very good position to visit Portree and Skye.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family