“"Perfect Retreat"”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Portree
Rowan Tree Cottage B&B
Ranked #16 of 92 Portree B&B and Inns
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“"Perfect Retreat"”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

This was my 1st visit to Skye and I was not disappointed. Our stay at the Rowan Tree Cottage was everything and more anyone could ask for, from the gorgeous bedroom, breathtaking scenery and not forgetting our fabulous host Alan. The attention to detail made this trip that little bit more special. Alan's fantastic breakfasts together with his expert knowledge of the area, complimentary drinks on arrival and his delicious lemon cake & homemade jams (mum loved them Alan!) added to one of the best experiences ever.
Alan you are fantastic, we will deffinately be back!
A must stay for anyone wanting to experience Skye!
Thank you Alan for your hospitality, Cathy & John x

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 6 June 2014

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Rowan Tree. The room is impeccably clean, and every detail is thoughtfully considered. It's on a pretty lane in the country, overlooking the water, a great location. Portree is only minutes away for restaurants, etc. Probably the most relaxing nights in our 2-week stay in Scotland. Alan is a wonderful host, enjoyed his company and stories. Breakfasts are superb. You'll enjoy your stay here!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Leven, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014

My partner & I have just recently returned from our 2nd stay at Rowan Tree Cottage & it was just as perfect as our 1st. Everything about Rowan Tree from the location (quiet, peaceful, stunning views & only 5mins from Portree), accomodation (huge comfy bed, bathrobes, silent fridge, lovely bathroom with power shower & separate bath) & Alan's hospitality are just fabulous. Nothing is too much trouble for Alan, he will go out of his way to ensure you have a great stay. I also have to mention his ccoked breakfasts, served with homemade bread & jams-amazing!
We cannot rate Rowan Tree highly enough & would recommend it to anyone visiting Skye!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Bonbeach, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 20 May 2014

An amazing country setting and a short drive to Portree, this B&B is very nice. Friendly host Alan has thought of everything and has great attention to detail. The room is wonderful, with large comfy bed and full size separate bathroom. Breakfast was lovely including full cooked, fresh fruit and all the trimmings. Alan is obviously a great cook and makes all his own jams and spreads too. The view from the cottage is quite something, right across to the mountains. We visited in May, which meant it was light until about 10pm and we could drive into Portree and back before dark without a problem.

Room Tip: One room only!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sophia3196
Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We couldn't have chosen a better place for our first visit to Skye. Alan is a wonderful host.
Everything about his cottage is of the highest standard. Seeing golden eagles and a flock
of goldfinches from the breakfast room window were the icing on the cake.

As explained the cottage is some way off the main road in a very quiet part of Skye but looks out towards the sea. Allow 15 mins by car to get to Portree or down to the sea. There are no shops or eateries any nearer.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jamesandviv
RoowanTreeCottage, Owner at Rowan Tree Cottage B&B, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Bizzare. You submit a Review on the ‘freetobook’ website giving me a 5 out of 5 (Excellent) for everything - Location, Service, Facilities & Cleanliness.

I invited you to do a Review on Trip Advisor and there you rated me 4 out of 5 for Location, Room & Service! When questioned, your response was “On reflection I should have put excellent for service ..... it was kind to have allowed our 2 dogs to stay. I should also have allowed for that.”

I need to point out that Portree in 5 miles away - the website makes it very clear that it is 10 minutes by car. Guests choose to stay here often for that reason alone - to be away from street light pollution and for the space and tranquility you can't expect in a small town (with pubs and eateries).

On you last night you invited me out as your guest for a meal and at no time during those 2 hours or so did either of you indicate any aspect of your stay was anything other than ‘Excellent’. I have so say, I did find it disconcerting that you locked both your dogs in a cage in the boot of your (salooon) car whilst we ate in the restaurant!

I accommodated your ‘well behaved’ dogs for no extra charge and even spent the best part of 90 minutes (in the rain) cutting and securing stock proof fencing to the front gate so they could have full run of the grounds without escaping.

On the first night your wife managed to unplug the refrigerator and pull out and damage the TV coaxial cable in your room. After your departure I need a blanket dry cleaned (used to cover the sofa your dogs sat on) and will have to replace bedding - as the laundry service couldn’t remove the stains left on it.

I also discovered one of the customised coasters I had made was missing from your room. When I enquired whether this had been taken by mistake, you told me your wife thought it was a gift from me! Try doing that in a shop ....

You subsequently told me “we felt really at home and are smitten by all we saw and really appreciated all you did for us”. If that was the case, then it is a pity your behaviour hasn’t reflected this.
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We stayed at TRC for two nights in late March 2015. The experience was just fantastic-- the only downside being that it's ruined us for other B&Bs, which inevitably pale in comparison! RTC manages to achieve effortlessly what all boutique hotels claim to offer but invariably do not. The Cottage is beautiful: tastefully decorated, peaceful, with all the facilities one could ask for. Alan is a brilliant host, who makes his guests feel as though they have the run of the house. A complementary bottle of fizz, along with beer and soft drinks, greeted us on our arrival, and things only got better from there with Alan's divine breakfasts (the fruit salad is something to behold). The location of the Cottage is also brilliant: in a quiet area you'd never find otherwise, with great walks around Braes beach and up Ben Tianavaig. Alan provides guests with maps, guides etc-- along with absolutely everything else you could ever need. We'll most definitely be back, although if there's any justice Alan's diary will be booked up years in advance!

Room Tip: There's only one guest bedroom, and it's fabulous!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We loved our 2 night stay at Rowan Tree Cottage for many reasons. We liked being “out a bit” from Portree, but then able to easily go into town for dinner, etc. (We ate both evenings at the Granary Restaurant. Liked it so much the 1st night). Alan is a charming host. You will be the only guests as there is just the one bedroom. Your room is in the main house (not the little “cottage” at the side of the house. That is the storage shed!). Your bathroom is private and just outside the door to your bedroom. There is a mini fridge in the room which was nice to store drinks, etc. Alan’s quarters are upstairs so you do not feel you are imposing on his space. Alan prepares delicious breakfasts and serves with white glove style! Your breakfast table is set up in the home’s living room with a glorious view and fabulous artwork. You will indicate to Alan the evening before your menu choices and seating time preference. I especially enjoyed the fresh fruit and home made jams. Alan allows for a later breakfast than many other B&B’s. Speaking of views, we loved sitting outside with a glass of wine watching the sun set. I learned what midges are, however! They can be bothersome! If return to Skye, we would definitely return to Rowan Tree Cottage!

Room Tip: There is only one room. It is in the main house.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portree
Cuillin Hills Hotel
#13 of 92 in Portree
Skeabost Hotel
Skeabost Hotel
#2 of 6 in Skeabost

Been to Rowan Tree Cottage B&B? Share your experiences!