“Great Location”

Coolin View Guest House
Ranked #12 of 97 Portree B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We recently stayed 2 nights at the Coolin View. it was a great location, a 2 minute walk to the town square and all the restuarants, pubs and shopping. The rooms we had were on the 2nd and 3rd floors and had wonderful views of the mountains and harbour. The carpets in the hallways needed cleaned as well as the room carpets. One bathroom had no soap or shampoo in the provided dispenser. We had to order our breakfast the night before and set a time, which worked out well for us, it was just a little odd. Overall the stay was good but the propery needed a little TLC.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 18 June 2013

I had some reservations about my tour company's list of possibilities for two nights in Portree but chose this one due to its proximity to the township...and the fact my "usual" B & B wasn't available. The warning bells started as soon as I entered: experience has taught me that if an establishment feels the need to paste signs up on every wall (do this, don't do that), it is not one which needs my custom. After being regaled by the non-resident manager about her latest menopausal symptoms, I was directed to my room...a single in every sense of the word. I try and say something good about each destination and the only good thing was the view - out over the harbour which provided some great photos with the changing light and weather. This place is very tired and, like its staff, needs a makeover. Next time I'll try the Bosville Hotel or the Royal. I'm sure THEY don't have signs everywhere telling you to wipe your feet, and not to fiddle with the front door latch!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 May 2013

Having spent several months carefully planning our trip to walk the great glen way we decided to finish with a relaxing trip to Skye.
I feel we had a lucky escape, we had booked our room and discussed the fact that we wanted a sea view and had booked the family room for this reason.
We arrived to find this is not a proper Bed and Breakfast and with no owner resident we dialled the number posted on the door.
she answered I don,t have you in tonight, we then provided her a detailed account of the room the rate she had charged and why she had given us a family room for the view.
Still no acknowledgement just "I,m full and I don,t have time to deal with this".
We asked her for help as we now were in Skye at five o'clock and with no accommodation "not my problem" was her response.
At this point we actually felt lucky we were not staying!
we walked away and found a great welcome elsewhere and had a great evening.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Mark L
Ruth M, Owner at Coolin View Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2013

It amazes me that people are allowed to get away with putting lies on tripadviser. I wasn't going to reply but it seems very unfair.

Firstly, you did not have a room booked. You may have had a provisional booking, but you didn't get back to me to confirm it. I have 2 copies of every booking made at the guest house. Once a deposit has been taken then confirmation is sent via e-mail. You did not have confirmation, you had not paid a deposit. Therefore you did not have a booking.

Secondly, I did not tell you that I didn't have time to deal with it or that it was not my problem. I was very sympathetic with your situation. You and your husband were very abusive to me and your husband threatened to put a nasty review about me on tripadviser every week for the next 2 years.

When used honestly ,Tripadviser is very useful, but when used as a smear campaign it is dangerous.

Reviewed 1 May 2013 via mobile

My wife and me loved it here. Nice cosy room, small but what a view! Private parking for the car. Good beds. Good shower. Breakfast is a typical English one. Staff very friendly! Nice restaurant nearby "harbour view" with excellent food!! A romantic combination!!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 24 April 2013

Good location among the only ones in Portree from where U may see The Black Cuillins Mountains and the Portree Harbour. Nice conditions, heating at discretion, nice facilities, and a full english breakfast, which wasn't my favourite. Everything was ok, but a little more cleaning would be necessary in the room, and a little exepenssive but this Portree what can we do about !!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank maniac_the_evil
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Great location. Beautiful view overlooking harbour. Easy walking distance to restaurants and pubs Small rooms with not much space apart from bed. We had rooms 7 and 9 which had ensuites but were at the top of four short flights of narrow stairs. Parking was available for a small/ medium car but limited. But would stay there again. Lovely staff.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 April 2013

The room was adequate but the price was high, and a number of details were missed - the curtains didn't keep out the light, items in the bathroom had not been replenished, tea bags were not replaced after 1st day, an so on. Breakfast menu and time had to be ordered previous day, but despite this bacon was not freshly cooked, mushrooms were undercooked and coffee was tasteless; on 2nd day breakfasted elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple