“Excellent”

Coolin View Guest House
Ranked #12 of 95 Portree B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Not sure really why people are complaining- Skye is often overpriced and crowded sadly, but this place although small did what it set out to do- clean, warm, well placed, excellent service (Mila this time) rooms are smallish but it's a guest house not a hotel, and on Skye you shouldn't be in your room that much! Clean, tidy (my life is too short to worry about age of curtains etc!) good breakfast, good value, lovely view, warm, welcoming staff. Wifi only really available downstairs, and as on all the highlands and islands a bit slow - no 3G up here! (We live on Arran. ) to be honest probably not for you if you've got young kids, but otherwise a great wee place.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank standingstone77

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Booked for two nights but only stayed one. If we had not pre-paid for the first night we would not have stayed at all. Our greeting by the reception person was very rude and all she was interested in was getting immediate payment for the second night - she didn't get it!
Room was OK but bed and pillows were very tired. Breakfast was very basic and the breakfast room was very small and over-crowded.

Room Tip: Don't stay at Coolin View
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Russ M
Reviewed 2 November 2013

The building was great, with a great view, however apart from the girl who was hired to run the place who made an effort, it was disappointing. The room was small, bathroom not properly cleaned, curtains, carpet and linen looked like they all needed a good tidy up or replacing. Wi-Fi was shown as available throughout, however we were told and it work out that it was unavailable on the third level. Breakfast was good, but out weighed by the minuses. A good project for the Hotel Inspector to bring back up.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I stayed at coolin view guest house recently and i thought it was fantastic. The girl (Britney i think her name was) who welcomed me in to the guest house was extremely polite and very accommodating. She offered to carry my bags up to my room for me which i was glad of as i have a bad back, she also told me a few places that were good to have dinner and a drink. (i was starving at this time so i appreciated this information). The room was the perfect size for just myself and even though i have read previous comments about uncomfy mattresses i thought mine was extremely comfy. The view from the room was outstanding. (even if it was a little rainy outside). The breakfast was good, the woman who was serving was also very polite but seemed like she was in a bit of a rush i think she could have done with some help. There was a good selection of yoghurts and fruit which was good and you could help yourself to tea and coffee and juice from the jugs provided. I only stayed at this guest house for 1 night but i wish my stay was longer. I cant to wait to go back and visit again. I will certainly stay for longer next time. Thanks to all the staff at coolin view guest house for making my stay there as lovely as it was.

Room Tip: Have a room with a sea view if possible, as its a beautiful view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank 97little_chicken_13
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We chose this B&B because of its convenient location in Portree and its sea front view. We were not disappointed. Its just a short walk to various restaurants. Sunrise & sunset views of the Portree Harbour were stunning. There is no lifts & the room is basic but comfortable. The lady preparing breakfast was very friendly & helped us in our early check out. Food was standard , dining room not big but comfortable. Wont hesitate to recommend this B&B to others.

Room Tip: Try get a room with seaview
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank STAN2010_12
Reviewed 13 October 2013

The only thing we liked about Coolin View was the lady who worked there. Not the greatest professional, but a very nice lady who liked to make us laugh. She made a big effort to make our breakfast time an enjoyable one, but unfortunately the old bedroom we stayed in is taking over the memories we have from that one night. We didn't have the view (which is a good one I have to say), but we knew that already when we were booking so that wasn't an issue. However, the old mattresses were an issue and the bathroom was as well. We didn't even take a shower that morning because we felt extremely uncomfortable there. We were happy to leave. So... I hope they take advantage of these comments and start renovating. There is certainly place for improvement!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Katy4Smile
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I stayed at this B & B on the 3rd sept for 4 nights with my friend Dot. The room was small but pleasant, adequate and clean. The view from our room was wonderful. The breakfast menu offered a good variety and was cooked well. I have read the recent reviews and I'm quite shocked, I found the manager/owner (not sure which) and her cook to be extremely warm and friendly. The key to the building is in an outside security container which allows for the freedom to come and go as one chooses, I don't expect someone to meet and greet me when I have no idea of my arrival time!.
There were a couple of very light stains on the light coloured carpet in the lobby area and if you didn't have an active itinerary I suppose you might notice them, but after watching other guests trod in out of the rain with muddy walking boots on without wiping their feet i'm surprised the entrance area was as clean as it was.
I would recommend this b&b and definitely plan another visit.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends