“Good”

Cuillin Hills Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Portree
“Good”
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights in March as a treat for my mum's 65th Birthday.

Hotel was lovely, room was a decent size and clean the only complaint I had was the bed wasn't what I'm used to so not the most comfy.

Location was ok if you drive, quite a long dark(espec at night) hilly road into town if you wanted to walk the 15 mins to get there.

Views out to portree bay from the front of the hotel & dining room were lovely, food in the hotel was good too, decent choices at breakfast incl cereals, yogurts, fresh fruit etc then a choice of something from the cooked menu which didn't disappoint. Had an evening meal on two occasions, not much to choose from as menu is quite limited, however 1st night we had rib eye steak which was lovely & cooked to perfection, on the 2nd night both meals weren't as nice nor upto the standard they were the previous evening which left us a bit disappointed at the poor quality.

All in all if I was back in Portree again I would probably pay the Cuillin Hills Hotel another visit.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Nice hotel on a hill just outside of the village center. If you’re not in the mood for B&B, this is probably your best bet in this small village.

Pros:
• Amazing view from the front lawn and restaurant
• Quiet
• Great breakfast

Cons:
• Bed is a bit firm
• As a trade-off for its quiet location, it’s a bit of a walk to get to shops & restaurants

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
London, UK
Reviewed 24 April 2014

A converted lodge, overlooking the water and the Cuillin Hills – just one of the best locations and views I have ever experienced at a hotel. We were too late to book rooms with a view and had to accept rooms in the Annex, next to the car park, without the view. I am sure our overall experience would have been better if we had stayed in rooms with a view, but without the view we definitely felt short changed.

The rooms were of a reasonable size, just queen beds at the point of needing to be replaced. No face towels or bathrobes in the bathroom and a very temperamental shower. So OK, but just on the border of good enough.

Not having paid the top rate for a room with a view, you then had to suffer being at the back of the restaurant and not quite the best service – certainly a bit of attitude that took the pleasantness off the occasion. We had dinner one evening and breakfast two mornings. Well presented, tasty, but not exceptional. The dinner menu doesn’t change, so beware if you stay more than one night.

On balance not much more than an average experience for us. If I ever went back to Skye. I’d probably give it another try – but only if I could get a room with a sea view and I would certainly take dinner elsewhere – and there are many excellent places to eat in Portree.

Room Tip: Only stay hefre if you can get a room with a sea view - just magnificent. Without the view, I would...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Peter_R_Smith
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Havent stayed here but eaten several times at the restaurant. Excellent location, superb views and ambience. Good food, family friendly. Great collection of malts. Good value for location and setting.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Lockerbie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We had a two night weekend stay at this hotel and we were very impressed. The rooms are very clean and well appointed. The staff are very friendly and couldn't have been more helpful. The breakfast menu is fairly wide ranging and the cooked breakfast was hot and tasted freshly made. The porridge would have filled even the heartiest of eaters for a large part of the day. We ate in the restaurant on night two and the food is of a very high quality and the staff were very friendly but professional. I didn't sample anything from the whisky bar however I'm sure there is something there for everyone.

We had booked a room with a sea view and we were delighted with it. Overall our visit to The a Cullins Hills Hotel was very enjoyable and we would certainly revisit this hotel in the future.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I like TA very much and use it often. So when I discovered an error I tried to contact you but was unable to find a link to do this. Consequently I am posting this as a review and I hope someone from TA wil read it, note the error and then delete this.
I was looking for a place to stay in Portree. On possibility was Cuillin Hills Hotel. When I clicked the interactive map, the hotel appeared fairly close to the center of town, which is what I wanted. For some reason I clicked the directions button and saw that the location had changed, It is now shown as not being in the center. I'm glad I did this before making a reservation.
Hope you can fix the problem

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank rufus63
Prestwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

The Cuillin Hills hotel is a lovely traditional hotel with a fantastic vista.

My room was plush with a Victorian bathroom style and even a bidet. I had a great sleep on a very comfy bed. I only ate cereal at the hotel, but the cooked breakfast look very nice.

Ample parking.

Before breakfast I took a run around the Scorrybreac circular path which was lovely route a little over a mile and half long. Very scenic.

I would stay here next time I visit Portree on business or pleasure.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portree
Hotel Eilean Iarmain
#5 of 6 in Portree
The Flodigarry Hotel
The Flodigarry Hotel
#1 of 1 in Flodigarry

Been to Cuillin Hills Hotel? Share your experiences!