“Lovely, just not wonderful.”

Duisdale House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Sleat
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I am afraid that despite the roaring fire and exceptional hospitality I can't say this place blew me away. I was, I'm afraid rather disappointed.
The decor is very new and modern to the point of garishness which was an immediate put-off. We enjoyed a lovely drink in a bay window as we waited for lunch. We dined alone in a long, narrow dining room with tremendous views to the gardens outside. There was something rather sterile and character-less about the designer furnishings which didn't fit in with the Heiland staff and their natural warmth. The lunch itself was very nice, my starter was the star attraction of salmon on oatcakes, I loved every bite. My main I'm afraid, wasn't all that special and even deviated from the menu.
Despite the stunning surroundings and lovely staff it didn't live up to what I expected it to deliver.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank misspickle

Reviewed 16 April 2014

This hotel was a last minute find and a real gem. They have customer care and hospitality down to a fine art and took eveything on their stride. The view over the water from the room was stunning and the food in the restaurant was amongst the best I have had. A brilliant hotel and very good value for money.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

We just spent a wonderful weekend in Skye staying at the Duisdale House Hotel. We stayed for 2 nights bed and breakfast. The hotel itself is really nice and in excellent condition. We stayed in a double room which is bigger than the cosy double but meant to be smaller than the 4poster rooms. The room was a really good size, nicely decorated with a really good sized bathroom. I don't usually bother whether there is a bath tub or not but I tell you after a long windy wet day and after falling in a river, a hot bath was amazing to come back to! The shower was a big rainfall type shower which I normally don't like but the water pressure is really good here so it was lovely. The bed was big and comfy and had loads of pillows and cushions which I love. Every thing was spotless so big thumbs up to house keeping crew! The breakfast was included in the cost and was just great there was plenty choice and it was not greasy but fresh and tasty. We had dinner here on the first night, we were on a bit of a budget so didn't go for the formal dining option but ate in the bar instead. We were expecting more of a bar menu but it's more like another restaurant menu and was quite pricey but cannot fault the food it really was delicious! There's nothing vegetarian on the menu but the waiter spoke to the chef who gave me a few options. I had spinach pancakes which were really nice. The portions aren't massive but plenty as part of a two or 3 course meal. We had dessert which was awesome. If you're expecting cheap traditional pub food then this is not your place but Broadford is just 10 mins away and Kyleakin has several pubs which isn't far either. On the second night we had fish and chips from the takeaway in Broadford overlooking the loch which was a treat. The staff at this hotel are really welcoming, helpful and friendly. The location of this hotel is fine if you have a car, think you might be a bit out of the way otherwise. I would definitely return to this hotel and would recommend it to others.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kelly C
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We recently headed back to Duisdale for our 5th visit. It was magical. We had a fabulous room with a sea view and the most gorgeous bathroom. Some of the staff are new , they are so good, helpful and very skilled at making your stay so relaxed.
The food is even better I think, we went for the chef's taster menu both nights, and I can honestly say we were blown away.
We are saving up for our next visit, two days and we felt renewed!

Room Tip: Sea view or garden rooms are gorgeous.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Spent a night here recently when I had to be in Skye on business. The hotel is elegantly furnished, with good informal service. Other then breakfast I didn't have a chance to eat, but if breakfast is a marker the food should be good.

Hopefully I'll get more time to enjoy the hotel on a future visit to Skye.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 March 2014

On arrival, we were informed that we had been upgraded to a room with four poster bed free of charge. Hotel has been refurbished beautifully. Everywhere is so comfortable and the log fires very welcoming. Staff were all very friendly and helpful - really felt "looked after". Can't remember names but everyone was fantastic - a real credit to the owners. We were there two nights and thoroughly enjoyed the dining experience. Had amouse bouche which included smoked salmon with sesame seeds - delicious. Not usually a fan of venison but was very very good indeed. And the desserts ..... well they were to die for and I don't have a particularly sweet tooth! Skye is beautiful even though it rained the entire time we were there. The Duisdale experience is special and we would love to go back again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Flemington_girl
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I just finished a 2.5 week trip through Italy and Scotland. I could have spent MUCH more time in Scotland than we did. What a wonderful place! We stayed at the Duisdale House while on the Isle of Skye. We certainly picked a WONDERFUL hotel! I can't say enough nice things about this little hotel. Out of all the places we stayed this was my absolute favorite. I was so sad to leave it. Rosemary is the hotel manager and such a lovely person. The entire staff was SO friendly and accomodating. Matt waited on us at dinner and was a real delight. Top notch customer service. Duisdale House was very posh without all the snobbery, old school yet modern and functional. The entire hotel feels exactly like Scotland...with all the charm you would expect it to have from the moment you drive up. The one thing you should NOT MISS out on is dining in their restaurant. The food was so incredible that we ate breakfast and dinner here our entire stay. Don't skimp on this treat as the chef is AMAZING....from the fresh and exceptionally high quality seafood and ingredients to the presentation and ambience of the dining rooms. The fish is so fresh they can literally tell you what fishing dock they bought it from that day! Duisdale is worth every penny you will spend. I miss it already and I will definitely visit again! Kuddos to Rosemary and her wonderful staff.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Karen S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sleat
Toravaig House Hotel
#4 of 6 in Portree
Bosville Hotel
Bosville Hotel
#3 of 6 in Portree

Been to Duisdale House Hotel? Share your experiences!