Ardhasaig House
US$256
US$219
The Crown Hotel(Stornoway)(Great Value!)
US$127
Cabarfeidh Hotel(Stornoway)
US$183
US$176
US$249
No availability for your dates from our partners
Langass Lodge(North Uist)
Temple View Hotel(North Uist)
  • Restaurant
All reviewssmall hotelporridgeset menumain coursethe barnon arrivaldining roomensuite shower roomset dinnermelonlovely choiceselection of cerealstwo nightsinto considerationwonderful foodcooked to perfectionsea food
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 October 2009

Lovely little hotel, perhaps more of a restaurant with rooms. Great location, though there was some building work going on at the time, which meant that some local sheep had a free run of the hotel car park - very funny when they managed to eat all the plants and flowers! The breakfasts are something else - don't make the mistake that I did and ask for everything on the menu or you'll roll out of the restaurant! Although an evening meal appears to be a bit on the expensive side, it is well worth it. All produce is locally sourced and freshly cooked with care and skill by Katie, the owner, which made it an unforgettable experience. Thank you Katie, for an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank grbh
Reviewed 6 December 2008

This palce is fabulous. We stayed in the 'barn' our own little croft house - fabulously fitted out into a luxury hotel room - 20 paces from the main house. Now yes dinner is expensive (£48) and very rich food but it is 4 courses. So we only eat there one night - the other we picked up picnic food (in stornaway) and had a 'party' in the barn - so it evened out a bit. We would have eaten there both nights if there was an option of 3 courses for say £35.

Breakfasts were a complete joy- the best breakfst table I have ever seen anywhere - fresh juices (several), fresh fruits (many), porridge like I have never tasted, a whole menu of cooked items to choose from (including fish) and cooked to order. And all this on a fairly remote island - well done Katie - keep it up. Katie herself is a very good host. Wish I could have Katie's Breakfasts every day !!!!!

Atmosphere was very warm; this encouraged much chatting between groups of guest which all added to the stay.

This place is 10 mins drive from the Skye ferry port at Tarbert. And very convenient for exploring Harris and Lewis.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Broaden-the-mind
Reviewed 24 June 2008

We have just returned from a 10 day hebridean holiday and would like to wholeheartedly recommend Ardhasaig House on the Isle of Harris.
We were made to feel very welcome by Katie who's attention to detail for her guests - both in accommodation and restaurant - is second to none. We had two wonderful meals there with menus designed around our preferences which was much appreciated. As mentioned by other guests the breakfasts were quite outstanding and were unrivalled by any of the other hotels we visited. The atmosphere was informal without being claustrophobic - a delicate balance which many small hotels fail to achieve.
Considering the distance from the mainland that fresh fruit and vegetables have to travel to reach Harris we found the prices at Ardhasaig House better value than some of the less isolated hotels we visited. Thank you Katie and the girls!

Ian and Beverley, North Yorkshire

Stayed: June 2008
2  Thank elaineCanada
Reviewed 15 June 2008

I have to say that this is a very special place indeed. We were welcomed and shown to the barn which is a distinct cottage at the end of the drive. The views are stunning and the facilities in the barn are excellent with many nice touches to make you feel at home.

We sat outside and gazed at the loch as we drank our welcoming wine - beautiful.

Then it was dinner time and I have to say that the entire menu was a joy. We had been carefully asked upon booking, if there was any food we did not like and this was confirmed again on arrival. The bouche amusant of crab and avocado bode well for the rest of the meal. Sumptious. There was a well thought out wine list and also a small bar.

The menu on our visit was like a greatest hits of our favourite food, cauliflower soup, lobster, fillet of beef (cooked to our choice - blue in our case) and chocolate pear. Superb. This lady is a very talented chef and having eaten in some of the finest restaurants in Scotland recently (Glenapps, Martin Wisharts, Kitchen) the food was not found wanting.

We then adjourned to the conservatory for coffee and were once again presented with 'that view'. Fabulous.

Then we were off to the barn for a night of deep and blissful sleep and were delighted that we could have breakfast almost anytime we liked so we chose 9.30am and the bed was so comfortable that this was still almost a rush. The breakfast was selected from a long list of ingredients and was one of the best I have had in a long time. I love kidneys in a breakfast and had not had them since I was a kid.

In terms of value - I think it is excellent, we are not talking basic B&B or a cheap hotel here, this place should be compared to the very finest establishments on the island and graded as such. This is more of a luxurious small hotel with a great restuarant.

We'll be back. And soon.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JackMignall
Reviewed 12 June 2008

I spent four nights in Ardhasaig. The hotel offers some nice views over the East Tarbert Loch. A cleverly designed veranda on the front of the hotel enables you to enjoy the spectacle confortably seated in a luminous environment.

You can feel that the whole hotel has been decorated with love & care. What I mean is that the owner has obviously put her heart in this task. This gives the hotel and its rooms a warmer and more "familial" atmosphere than in larger establishments : when I discovered my tiny pretty room, I really felt like visiting my grandmother's home in the French Alps.

However, in my opinion the hotel still has some severe flaws - mainly in terms of tarification - which can leave you a bitter impression afterwards. That's why I'd give it 3 stars only.

See below for the detailed review of the + and - of this hotel :

===================================

1/ Room : Good

* Positive : My room was small but, as I said, pretty. It was clean, rather quiet, the bed was ok and the furniture traditional (e.g not Ikéa-style) which really contributes to "feeling at home". Tea & instant coffee with biscuits are offered in the room, as well a a small bottle of wine (Italian [Montepulciano ?], in my room).

===================================

2/ Food : A rather diaspointing experience.

* Positive : The hotel manager is the cook, and she really does her best. She cooks each client's breakfast herself, always try to use the freshest products available, and takes care to adapt to her clients tastes or allergies (if you book for dinner, she'l ask you in advance what kind of food you'd like to eat or avoid).

If anything goes wrong, she tries to compensate. For instance, after serving an insufficiently cooked fish dish, she took back the dishes for additional cooking, and offered a glass of wine to all clients.

* Negative :

1 - Food is very expensive. 48 pounds for a meal with lobster. That's really too much for what it is, especially since the lobster wasn't that great ... If you compare with other restaurants in the area (Sacrista house excepted), you soon discover that you can eat quite well for 60% less almost everywhere.

Besides, clients are encouraged to wait and have a drink in the lounge before the meal is served. And of course, although you're not warned of this (very bad - prices should always be displayed, so that you can know what is free and what is not, and how much you'll need to pay), the drinks aren't free.

2 - Food is not so great (especially given the price). This is certainly a matter of taste, but here is the issue, in my view : the (half) lobster was cooked in some sort of buttery sauce. If you don't like this kind of sauces, you'll be disappointed, especially since it makes the lobster's meat lose all firmness and hides its natural taste. Of course you could like that ... but I didn't. The other dishes were fine (fresh products), but, still, that really doesn't deserve a 48 pounds bill. Price should really adjusted downwards.

==============================

3/ Service : Balanced, but with some very annoying flaws

* Positive : The owner and her team are charming and really willing to help. They do offer some nice extras : for instance, one afternoon, I was offered tea with and excellent piece of cake free of charge (although, as always there, you never really know what is free of charge and what is not until you settle your chack out bill). The owner also most willingly prepared sandwiches for a couple going on a day trip in the wild.

* Negative : Well ... Here are drawbacks typical of small, familial hotels :

First of all, although the hotel team tries to adapt to your desires & timing, you're still not encouraged to follow your ways. Diner is served at 8 o'clock pm for everybody, neither earlier nor later. For breakfast, you're not encouraged to have it before 8:30 am. Of course, if you ask beforehand, you can still have it earlier, but you'll clearly feel you're bothering the hotel staff. So avoid planning any early trips in the countryside (if you need to be at 7:30 at Leverburgh, well ... too bad for you !) and wake up late.

Then, as I said, is the price issue. Appart from the room rate and diner menu price, prices for addtional service are not displayed. You never really know what is free and what is not. You'll learn when you check out.

And behold, here will come the nastiest surprise. If you attempt to pay with your Visa credit card, you will be asked to pay +3% on your bill. That's really below international standards (if you compare with the neighbouring Harris Hotel, the room rates are a bit higher, but they do not charge you any additional money for credit card use). Ardhasaig should really include the cost of using credit cards in its rates. Otherwise, the surprise of having to pay extra money will be the last impression its clients will get on leaving the hotel. Not very sensible, from a marketing point of view ... especially since, given the high price of diners, I don't see how could one settle his account using cash, unless he belongs to the mafia and has some bucks to white-wash.

================================

Conclusion tip :

If you want to try the hotel restaurant (you're a millionnaire, aren't you ?), do not forget to book your table in advance. And, if you want to eat out (which I recomment to all budget travellers), book as well in the restaurant you're aiming at. The Tarbert area is small, restaurants are rather scarce and since it is a touristic area and the arrival port of the Uig Ferry, they tend to get fully booked quickly. So, of you don't want to starve, ALWAYS book beforehand (or prepare for a 36 miles trip to Stornoway !).

***********************************

Overall conclusion :

Although the Ardhasaig House has more idyllic settings, beautiful rooms and a friendly staff, I do not recommend it to "adventurers" and low budget travellers. Although (apparently) a bit more expensive, the neighbouring Harris Hotel might be a better investment, with more facilities and a more flexible service (early breakfasts, flexible diner time, a payphone, no additional charges for cradit cards, and closeby the town centre).

On the other hand, if you're here to quietly enjoy your time, spending your morning in bed, before having super expensive diners (isn't that the definition of a "romantic" trip ?), then aim for Ardhasaig.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled solo