“We were spoiled!”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Hebrides
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Tarbert
Reviewed 29 July 2010

On 28th May my fiancee and I booked in at the Hotel Hebrides just minutes after we'd got engaged on Luskentyre Beach. We went straight to the restaurant where we were offered champangne, canopies and soup all complements of the chef and waiting staff. Following this we had the most awesome meal, probably the best ever tasted. The rooms were so new, clean and well presented. As you can tell Hotel Hebrides will always have a special place in our hearts and on behalf of my new fiancee and myself I want to thank you so much for an awesome stay. I would highty recommmend the hotel and Pierhouse Restaurant and look forward to returning there soon, perhaps on the anniversary of our engagement. Thank you once again for your welcome and for celebrating with us.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 July 2010

My wife and I recently stayed at the Hotel Hebrides for 3 nights in July and it was the best hotel experience we have had in years! We were entertained on both evenings with traditional ceilidh music in the Mote Lounge Bar followed by local musician, Willie Campbell the night after. Despite previous reviews, Angus Macleod (owner) could not have been more hospitable and friendly – are reviewers referring to someone else??? During our stay we had a devine breakfast of local oak smoked haddock and hebridean pancakes with maple syrup and blueberries (I believe Angus’ wife is the breakfast chef – all I can say is AMAZING, AMAZING, AMAZING and not to be missed). I agree that this is not the quietest of hotels and if peace and quiet is the order of the day then this is probably not the hotel for you. However, if you want to stay in a hotel of the highest quality, be greeted with honest hebridean charm and be entertained with traditional/local music then look no further than the delights of Hotel Hebrides.

Well done, you deserve all the great reviews you have received.

Reviewed 26 July 2010

The head chef in this hotel was outstanding, unfortunately you could tell when he was not on! The service varied from the lack of customer service skills of the male owner, to the hair twirling antics of some of the staff to the friendlienss and efficency of the irish chap in the restaurant (a different chap from the chef) and efficency of the female owner who seemed to be the only capable manager on site. A great hotel and food that wowed that was let down consistently by some and I emphasise only some of its people.

Reviewed 23 July 2010

The Hotel Hebrides is located right by the ferry in Tarbert and could not be more convenient. The Tarbert carpark is right outside and is free! The hotel is the real gem of the town. The rooms are well designed and the toiletries made locally and of a very high quality. The staff are extremely friendly and are willing to spend time talking to guests in a very engaging manner.
The food in the bar is exceptionally cheap and of the highest quality. Try the local Hebridean ale.

We booked a table in the restaurant for our evening meal and I was very pleasantly surprised. It is as good as any flashy metropolitan restaurant on the mainland. We had the locally sourced scallops that were exquisitely cooked to perfection and beautifully presented. Even if you are not staying in Tarbert you should try the restaurant. It also opens at lunchtime. Make sure you book in advance in high season.

Reviewed 20 July 2010

I visited the Hotel Hebrides with my husband in July 2010. It is a beautiful hotel in a great location, overlooking the harbour/ferry terminal. As stated in some of the previous reviews, the sound of the ferry engine can be heard early in the morning - but I am a light sleeper and it didn't sour my experience at all. The room we booked (deluxe double) was spacious and the bed extremely comfortable. The decor was modern, attractive and the entire room/hotel were spotlessly clean. The quality of food was outstanding and excellent value for money e.g. beautiful lamb shank for about £8.

On the negative side, however, the male owner was unfriendly and did not so much as smile at guests, let alone speak to them. He was a constant feature at the hotel bar but did not acknowledge guests in any way, making us feel a little unwelcome. In addition, one of the bar staff was gruff in manner and was overheard publicly berating an American fellow guest who politely pointed out that he had been given a Cabernet Sauvignon instead of a Sauvignon Blanc, telling him abruptly "you could have told me before I poured the whole glass".

The rest of the bar staff, reception staff and hotel staff in general were excellent and welcoming and made sure our stay was a happy one. Some members of the team were outstanding (Murdo in the bar/restaurant and others who I'm sorry I've forgotten their names).

All in all, I would definately recommend this hotel and I would return in the future. The beaches and mountains on Harris are incredible and the "Golden Road" close to Tarbert is a must. I have been to all the islands in the Outer Hebrides and this is the most beautiful.

Reviewed 15 July 2010

Overpriced, understaffed, no telephone in room. Very noisy location. Extremely disappointing.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Mac020
Reviewed 8 July 2010

we stayed in the hebrides hotel in tarbert on our hebridean adventure as it was so handy for the ferry - located practically on the pier!!! apparently this hotel used to be a motel and was closed for a considerable length of time while the owners gutted it. it seemed a bit odd to walk in to a modern glass fronted hotel with grey stome flooring and go upstairs to a modern stainless steel/ black/whie/grey reception desk when you are on a remote scottish island; even more unusual to be then shown to a stark white/black/plum bedroom with ultra modern en suite. however once you have got over the shock you realise it is spot;lessly clean with everything the hotel guest would need.

we then went down to the bar for a pre dinner drink - it looked a bit unwelcoming through the glass door as there were modern pine tables in rows before us but once we looked round the corner there were a couple of comfy sofas, a closed in fire, a trio from skye playing their fiddles, lots of people eating ber suppers and loads of atmosphere.

through to the dining room and we were back in the 21st century with glass, stainless steel and modern cutting edge design. the meal was absolutely delightful, faultless cooking, beautiful presentation and friendly waitresses - I think daughters of the owners - guided by a head waiter who was very efficient. and very pleasant. if I were to be critical
I would say serving a sorbet on a piece of black slate that had just come out of the dishwasher was a bad idea - because it melted faster than I could eat it and it was just too delicious to waste!!.

if you're looking for tartan and florals then give this hotel a miss. but if you like modern hotels, excellent food, spotlessly clean rooms and a harbourside location then this hotel is definitely for you.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarbert
Ceol na Mara Guest House
#11 of 56 in Isle of Lewis
Harris Hotel
Harris Hotel
#1 of 2 in Tarbert

Been to Hotel Hebrides? Share your experiences!