“Shocked and dismayed” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Livingston
Carnoustie, United Kingdom
“Shocked and dismayed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

Was really looking forward to a shopping trip with my sister . finished work drove through in the busy Friday evening traffic . Luckily we had decided to visit Ikea and ate there .
Arrived at the hotel to no welcome at all !! Had to call on a phone in reception to find that the receptionist was sitting in the office behind the reception desk ! When she finally came forward she said WELL the visit just got worse and worse
We got our key card and had to ask for directions to our room. On closing the curtains I came upon the biggest cobweb I have ever seen indoors .There was a dripping pipe outside the window that went on continuously !!!!!!
In the morning I put the toilet seat up to find someone else's dirt under the seat.
We recounted the story to the on duty manager who offered us a 50% discount
I will NEVER visit a Mercure again !

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Nick W, General Manager at Mercure Livingston, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Dear Guest,
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your visit. We continuously review our offer and services and we are grateful for your feedback that contributes to the process of improvement.
Kind regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

Hotel is fairly basic and has a gym and pool. Very dated bedrooms, although the lounge/bar area is very comfortable. No lift, but it is only two floors and staff were very willing to assist with luggage! There is a large supermarket a 2 minute walk away as well as a large shopping complex.

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Nick W, General Manager at Mercure Livingston, responded to this review, 7 July 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about this visit. I am please the hotel’s location proved convenient for you and we appreciate your feedback. I hope we might see you again soon.
Ayr, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

I suffer from arthritis and the only problem was for me to go into the bath for a shower, and found it difficult to get out of bath. Would be good idea for even a few rooms which cater for people with physical disabilities. This would add to the great reputation of hotel , and would benefit from further bookings from others with physical disabilities. Would return for a stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank caroline k
Dear Guest,
Thank you for telling us about your stay. We do have rooms that may have proved easier for you but unfortunately, these adaptations are not available in every room. I am sorry if you were unable to reserve one or we could not offer the alternative on your arrival. Please let us know if you return and will do our best to make your next stay even more comfortable.
Ashington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013 via mobile

Reception staff are great. Restaurant staff, mmm. All I csn say is how can a major chain three star hotel run out of milk at 8pm!!! Rubbish. More the reason that you xan't be bothered. Stay here at your peril.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Nick W, General Manager at Mercure Livingston, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for telling us about your visit. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused and we are reviewing our procedures. I will also be working with the restaurant team to improve our service. Thank you for the recognition of our receptions team – we endeavour to emulate throughout the hotel.
Kind regards
Sunderland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

Me and my partner with our son stayed at the Mercure Hotel last week and was our first stay in this Hotel and what a first experience it was!
The staff was lovely, the food was great although we did have a bad experience with one of the members of staff and could not get her name due to covering her name badge with the clip board. She was rude, blaming everything on us and snapping at us at what we were doing and the house keeper saw this and didn't agree with what she was doing! But other than that one staff members all the others were great specially one part of the night staff named Sarah! She was so warm, welcoming and great with our son, She had the best jokes and always made us feel welcome and when ever we did bump into her she was always full of smiles and always stopped for a good chitchat with me and my partner. She was there first hand when we needed room services, tea;s, coffee's everything she was straight there without a fuss and helped us up the stairs with our luggage and our pram due to me having a bad back.

I can't say one bad thing about this place as we will definitely be coming back again!
The receptionist were great.
Night staff were great
Food was good
A very welcoming hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest, I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and we are very grateful for the feedback. I am sorry that a member of my team tainted your visit. I will be investigating this with our housekeeper so we can complete the necessary retraining. I do hope we might see you again soon.
Kind regards
Bath, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights for business. The whole place looks tired and run down. The member of staff at reception told me it was her first day and she wasn't entirely sure how to check me in (although she did a great job and was the most pleasant and approachable team member throughout my stay) and there were no staff to help her.. she had to go find someone and ask for help.

My room on the ground floor was in the corner and was very small, not comfortable, no iron just a cranky old trouser press in the wardrobe (sideways so you had to squeeze into the wardrobe to see the controls), no airconditioning, windows that only opened about 3 inches, a tired dirty feeling bathroom and a view of... a wall!!! Oh well, it's business, views aren't what you're there for.

First night I decided to eat in the restaurant. The prices were high and the menu not very interesting but I couldn't be bothered to go looking for somewhere else. I stood around in the bar area by the podium for 15 minutes looking at a menu before any of the staff acknowledged my presence.. after this the food arrived without any more fuss but to be honest it was nice, not great

Then off to bed ready for a days work the next day.. 2:30 am the plumbing started up and it seemed all my neighbors were banging and crashing round their rooms.. feeling groggy and dehydrated after an hour I decided to go find a drink. The vending machine was out of service so I headed to reception where I cam across the coach party getting ready to leave.. that explains the noise levels but not why I was put in a room surrounded by early departing guests.

To give the night staff their due they did sort me out a drink of coke.

At breakfast I had to 'negotiate' with the gate guard to get breakfast because I couldn't be certain of my room number and didn't have the card with me. Another member of staff took over, obviously seeing things weren't going well and the rest of the standard no frills buffet breakfast went smoothly.

On the second evening I didn't bother with the hotel and went for a walk round the local outlet centre and dealt with food that way. I skipped breakfast, not wanting any hassle, and went to reception to check out.. the queue was appalling..

Sorry Mercure, I wont be back..

Room Tip: try a different hotel or at least make sure you aren't in the corner