“Great Night!”
Review of Mercure Livingston

Mercure Livingston
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Livingston
Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

I arrived late and there were two young men behind the main desk they were very helpful and well spoken I am not to sure of there names but after a long journey they really put a smile on my face and would definitely come back to Scotland as for the room it was very well kept no problems what so ever and the breakfast was absolutely fantastic top marks for the chef's and the staff in morning were fab couldn't ask for better.

• Stayed: August 2013
Nick W, General Manager at Mercure Livingston, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for telling us about your stay. I was pleased to read that you were well received on arrival and enjoyed your breakfast. It will be my pleasure to share your feedback with the teams. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 11 August 2013

Having arrived at this hotel, after reading some shady reviews, we were wondering what sort of place we were going into ........
We pulled up into the car part, and on getting out of the car was faced by a pair of knickers lying on the ground.... Mmmm not a good start.
However, on checking in, the girl at reception was very friendly and efficient. The room was fine, comfy bed and nicely presented bathroom. The shower was great, on a whole the room was fine for a nights stay.
We choose to go down to the bar for a drink, and although was nice, the furniture was really tired, and would do with being updated, if this was done, then it would make the place much more inviting, but due to the poor environment, we decided on the 10 minute walk over to mcarthur glen centre, where there's lots of places to eat and drink.
We had breakfast in the morning, which I must say was faultless, 10/10 goes to the chef, and think a mention should go to the staff that are on hand, they work there socks off, and were very friendly first thing in the morning.....
So on a whole an ok hotel, which could be great with a few tweaks and updated.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Nick W, General Manager at Mercure Livingston, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for telling us about this visit. We are sorry for the first impression but were pleased to see you enjoyed the location and breakfast. Thank you for your recognition of the breakfast team - it will be my pleasure to share this.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

This hotel is perfectly situated if you want to discover Edinburgh without using your car. For just a few pounds we took a taxi to the station where trains are running frequently to and from Edinburgh. Our room was clean, spacious, and the beds were most comfortable. Wifi worked perfectly well, although a bit slow, and the big, free parking for our car was most appreciated. The proximity, within walking distance, of a huge shopping centre makes that we will definitely return to this hotel for further excursions!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you for reviewing your stay. I am pleased the location and our free parking worked well for you and your visit to Scotland.
We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

This is now the fourth time I have stayed at The Mercure Livingston on business and it is a great hotel, very efficient and helpful staff, great parking, free wifi in the rooms, very clean and a good atmosphere.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Nick W, General Manager at Mercure Livingston, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

Dear Guest,
I am so pleased we had the opportunity to welcome you again to the hotel and we are very grateful for your feedback on the hotel and especially the team.
We hope to see you again when you are next in the area.

Reviewed 2 August 2013

My husband and I took our teenage grand-daughter and her friend to The Mercure, Livingston for a two night stay on a summer deal. We had a very pleasant time there. Everything about the hotel was good and there is plenty to do in the Edinburgh area.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit with family and friends. Edinburgh and the Lothians is a fantastic place at any time of year but the summer events are particularly memorable. It’s great that the hotel was convenient for your activities.
We hope to see you again soon.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 31 July 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Nick W, General Manager at Mercure Livingston, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

Reviewed 31 July 2013

I am so glad that I did not waste my own money on this hotel. I checked in rather late at night. There was urine on the toilet seat, stains on the bedding. Cracks in the sink. Holes in the window nets. Dried paint inside the bathtub. The trouser press does not work. The TV didn't work either as it kept switching itself off. I ordered room service, a tuna melt Panini and it was the worst I had ever had. Cold tuna on cold bread with warm, dry cheese. I ordered a steak dinner the next day for my evening meal. The plate was full of oil and the only nice thing to eat was the actual steak. During my meal I was subjected to listening to a waiter and waitress bad mouthing other members of staff, using swear words. The "free Wi-Fi" throughout the hotel as advertised is only available in the bar and doesn't work. The receptionist was appalled at my complaints my first morning and I came back to clean bedding, everything else she couldn't change.

You can tell that there has been a refurbishment on the entrance, bar and restaurant. This needs to be conveyed to the rest of the hotel immediately. The hallways and rooms are tired looking, chipped furniture and very outdated décor. The mattress is the WORST I have ever slept on as when you turned over the springs hit you on the way. One concern I did have is that my room faced an internal courtyard, due to the hot weather, I did not feel comfortable sleeping with my window open as it is a slide across window and I was on the ground floor. Maybe different windows would be something they could look into for the rooms.

The positives to my stay was the bar manager who was very helpful and attentive. He showed me where I could sit out the back to enjoy the sunshine and made a Pimms the traditional way with all the trimmings. The breakfast was the highlight of my stay overall as it was so good and the breakfast staff are far more positive than the evening. The maids left extra coffee and milk on my request which was really nice.

On my next business trip to this area, I will not be choosing to stay here and I have advised my colleagues not to either.

Room Tip: Ask for a first floor rather than ground floor simply due to the way the windows open especially if...