“Tired Hotel!”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Livingston
bedale
“Tired Hotel!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

We have been using this hotel for a number of years now when we visit our daughter and her family. What we have seen is a steady decline over the years, this hotel is tired and in desperate need of a makeover. Our room had peeling wallpaper, awful pillows (suppose that's an individual's taste) and just really cried out for a bit of TLC. The girl on reception was efficient but talk about a frosty welcome, sadly she was on reception again as we left and she wasn't in a better mood then! Trying to think of something positive is difficult which is a shame because it's a convenient hotel, used to be good value, but I'm afraid we'll be trying to find somewhere else on our next visit, also I think for the standard of hotel all the drinks seem a bit on the pricey side.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Nick W, General Manager at Mercure Livingston, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your loyalty and I am sorry that our welcome at reception was not as it should have been – we’ll work to improve this. I do hope we might welcome you again and please don’t hesitate to contact me if I can assist with this.
Kind regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Watford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

This is the old Jarvis opposite the outlet mall and Asda Livingston and just very near the river. The hotel is a bit dingy, careworn and the carpets worn. However, our upgraded room had a very comfortable bed for a 3*, tea and coffee equipment, free wifi all for £25 extra per night.
Breakfast was grim. This hotel survives, among other things, on coach tour trip guests staying overnight. When you come down to breakfast, the food will have been raided by these people who leave the hotel about 8am. Often, items run out and could not be replaced until, e.g. the next delivery after the weekend. Poor catering. The choice was poor too, as there were guests from Far East, Germany etc and not everyone enjoys Scottish cooked breakfast. No rolls, no cheese, no cooked meats, which other nationalities enjoy - sometime no yoghurt either.
However, there is a half decent little river walk along the Amazon for a pre-breakfast stroll. The swimming pool is small and is a very hot bath!
Low on ambience - but o.k. for a B & B.

Room Tip: Get the upgrade!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for letting us know about this stay. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the upgraded Privilege room and do apologise for breakfast not being to our usual standard or for selections not to your taste.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

After a recent stay in the Plugit INN on the Deer Park round about, I have decided to try a different approach to my monthly two day stay in the area. I have spun the bottle and landed on the Mercure Livingston. I am now a couple of hours in and can say plenty of parking, only single bed available but small torture chamber and Pool (Gym) available. So far there has been a pleasant entrance with good décor, the Gym had the desired effect as you can probably see from my comment, and I am soon to try the Food. So Summary: Good Size single bed x2 (Can still play assault courses but no star fish impressions through the night, good selection of films, can now watch 300 Rise of Empire or 47 Ronin, "Films the wife hates". Catch up soon.
Nige "The Silent Voice of the travelling worker" .
Moving on and I am now much further away so can say what I like without the sauna door locking behind me....again just kidding Hotel Manager Sir.
So further to my previous statements : Food, Very good Olives with warm Walnut bread, and Salmon main. Nice change to be introduced to the alternative Cola (Pepsi) a fav and a rare treat, when asked for it to be delivered to the table with no Ice, it actually managed to arrive as requested. This is by experience found to be a difficult area for hotel staff to grasp, but I can safely say, chuffed with the service.
The only let down was in the weather, I was expecting rain but got glorious Sunshine...Disappointed........NOT.
great all round short stay god food, Fiz facilities, Good films to choose from...etc etc bla bla
So if I rate it average, this will provide me with a chance to get a double room next time with a bit of luck.

Oh I forgot to mention the rubber disk at breakfast called.....EGG seems to be a regular Hotel offering that I still cant get my head round.

Cheers All.

Room Tip: Sneak in and nick one claiming double booking, I am sure there are good ones around. Hope the Hotel...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Nigel W
Nick W, General Manager at Mercure Livingston, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for letting us know about your stay. I am pleased that you have given us a chance to welcome you here but was sorry that we did not have a double room available. We’ll always do our best to help but it is not always possible. I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your meals and the in-room movie selection. We do hope to welcome you back next time you are in the area and offer double room. Please contact me if we can be of assistance.
Somerset
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

Pleasant staff and reasonably good value but the hotel is pretty tired looking and in need of some money spent upgrading rooms, public areas etc. Bedroom was freezing cold when I arrived and I put the heating on full blast while I went down to the bar for a drink.

Had a pleasant breakfast in the morning.

A bit of a soul-less spot but pleasant enough for an overnight stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am sorry your room was not warm and welcoming for your arrival and we will address this. We were pleased to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast and we hope we might welcome you back in the future.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

Tired looking hotel. In total need of refurbishment. Totally overpriced. Beds & pillows hard. Breakfast very average- can tell they use a cheap supplier of food. You can get better value by staying in Central Edinburgh.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank OLA124
Dear Guest,
Thank you for letting us know about your stay. I am sorry if it was not a comfortable visit and we appreciate your comments.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed at the Mercure Livingston for 3 nights (June 2-4) and having stayed there previously under various guises i was not looking forward to it. However, my expectations were raised and exceeded by the wonderful staff (reception, bar and restaurant), lovely food and altogether great experience, i will be back again!! :-)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Nick W, General Manager at Mercure Livingston, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for telling us about your recent stay with us. We are pleased that you found the staff welcoming and enjoyed this above previous visits. We look forwards to welcome you back.
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stayed for two nights weekend of the 30th May. we found the staff to be very helpful, I asked to change our room to one on the upper level and this this was accomplished without any fuss.
The rooms were clean and tidy, only complaint was that the pillows are very firm, if we had been staying longer would have had to ask for softer ones or purchase some from the supermarket.
the food was well prepared and plenty of it.
One small gripe is the fact that it is presumed all English persons drink Tea at breakfast and are not asked for there preference.
Wi-Fi is free throughout the hotel but for some reason I had difficulty sending E mails but no problem receiving them.
I thought the eating time for dinner to be rather early (18.00) would have preferred later or a time frame in which to eat, but this was probably due to the fact we where on a coach tour.
All in all a good hotel and would recommend them to anyone (provided they solve the pillow problem)

Room Tip: choose the upper floor, the floorboards creak.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Nick W, General Manager at Mercure Livingston, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am glad this was a success but do apologise for any niggles – we will be working to improve on these do have other pillows available on request. I am sorry for any inconvenience presented by our Wi-Fi. I am not aware of any restrictions that would have presented the challenge you encountered but we are constantly upgrading this service. Just this week we have improved our Free Wi-Fi service to a High Speed connection for all throughout the hotel – lounges, meeting rooms and all bedrooms. We hope this will prove to a great convenience for all our guests and visitors.
I do hope we might welcome you back soon.

Kind regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Livingston
Princes Street and Gardens
Mercure Edinburgh City - Princes Street Hotel
Livingston Lodge Hotel
#4 of 4 in Livingston

Been to Mercure Livingston? Share your experiences!