“Better than expected ”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Livingston
London, United Kingdom
“Better than expected ”
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

After reading some of the reviews I was a little bit pessimistic about the stay here. But on arrival the staff were polite, the rooms are large and clean, and the driver was fantastic. What more do you want for a stay over business trip? Would stay again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Nick W, General Manager at Mercure Livingston, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for telling us about your stay. We are pleased this was a success and that you found the hotel clean and welcoming.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Kind regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Europe
Reviewed 4 July 2014

As Mercure hotels go, the Livingston Hotel is one of the better ones. It's all on one floor (I think, anyway) so there's no lift, but it is set in quite a large area of land so there's nothing close by to disturb you.

The staff are helpful and friendly. The restaurant is very good, by the standards of Mercure, even when you consider they they are serving a standard menu that is the same in all the hotels across the group.

Bedrooms seem to be larger than usual for a Mercure, but that's probably because there is just more physical space available. I had a twin room (two single beds) and only used one, but it was big and comfortable even for a single bed and I slept like a baby.

There's a big shopping mall about three minutes' walk away, but it's hidden behind trees and there is no little or noise. Convenient for going out (there's movies and shops, although the restaurants are pretty limited: an Ask, a Wagamamas, a Nando's and, er, that's it. (Livingston is the Milton Keynes of Central Scotland so that might explain it.)

it's about halfway between Livingston's two railway stations. Taxis are more expensive than the hotel website suggests: be prepared to pay £8 from Livingston South, and more from Livingston North.

If you have to be in LIvingston, go to the Mercure; it will make your stay seem much more relaxed. Recommended.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for telling us about this visit. We are pleased that you enjoyed the hotel, your meals and had chance to visit the town. The retail areas are easily accessed from the hotel and are a popular with many of our guest but there is much, much more nearby such as river walks, parks and historical attractions plus family days out too. We appreciate these might not suit a business trip but the staff will be happy to advise if you are looking for something different to the shopping malls.
Thank you for your comments regarding the team and we hope we can welcome you again soon.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The desk staff were so nice I couldn't mark this lower than a 3. As for everything else, I wasn't blown away at all.
Was given a ground floor room on a sunny day. Opened the door and they'd have the heating turned to 30 on the wall. Windows screwed shut and no zircon. Obviously asked to move ASAP. They related me upstairs and had to call a maintenance man to open that window. Was nice to have a breeze after that for my 2 days stay.
The desk lasses recommended places to go for a run, to eat and local hospital that I needed to find. All with natural friendliness - Thanks girls.

Other good points

-Nice sized rooms with god space to do work at a desk - if that's your thing
-NIce location close to some great shops and factory discount outlets. Make sure you go visit and they close at 6 mind!
-Free Wifi with no hassle. just one passcode.

Where they could improve
-Shower is terrible, you have to get both taps right temperature then pull a lever. Only thing is even when its coming out the shower, for some reason it pours only the hot out the bottom tap burning your feet. WORST shower ever in fact.
-Pool - The pool is tiny and you can see the amount of chemicals just by going down to the pool height. I'd love to know what the PH reading was today. Never went in obis
-Gym- Although they do say mini gym. It's very mini. Also the buttons on the cross trainer just didn't work. I lost patience and went and bought loads of food instead. Was eel up for getting massive at the gym before that too.

Would I stay again? I would, but I'd be looking on Hotels.com for other places with a better gym and pool as thats my main need when away.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Nick W, General Manager at Mercure Livingston, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for telling us about your stay. We are grateful for your feedback for our reception team and of course this will be relayed to them. I am sorry that the shower was miss functioning in your room and for the difficulties you encountered with the cross trainer. We’ll address these but do understand that our gym is not equipped for a thorough work out and appreciate this is of high importance to you.
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel is convenient and because of the lack of competition in the area is an advantage as the hotel has few redeeming features. Rooms and general decor is tired but clean enough and staff generally helpful and polite. The most annoying thing is the complicated and slow TV access menu and really annoying and slow streaming of the channels. It takes ages to go through the channels it's hopeless. I can't stand it so use my I pad. Food is ok and best thing about the hotel is car parking. Reception staff need a bit of training. I have been to the hotel 3 times and twice had to go back to sort my access card out and also because the room I was given was already occupied. I am a member of the chain and a repeat guest but still asked at check in for all my details, email address, home address blah blah. What's the point? Am looking for alternatives but there are few nearby!! Fix the TV!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank BorisWild
Nick W, General Manager at Mercure Livingston, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. We are grateful for your comments in addition to those received directly. We might not have an immediate fix for some of the frustrations you encountered but I do hope we might welcome you again when you are next in the area.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed there one night on business. No complaints about my room on the ground floor. We had dinner in the restaurant which had a reasonably long wait but the staff were very helpful. There were not many vegetarian options but the linguine I had was very nice. Would stay again if in the area.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for telling us about your stay. We are sorry for any delays in the restaurant and are grateful for your comments regarding the team. I do hope we can welcome you back in the future.
Yours sincerely,
bedale
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We have been using this hotel for a number of years now when we visit our daughter and her family. What we have seen is a steady decline over the years, this hotel is tired and in desperate need of a makeover. Our room had peeling wallpaper, awful pillows (suppose that's an individual's taste) and just really cried out for a bit of TLC. The girl on reception was efficient but talk about a frosty welcome, sadly she was on reception again as we left and she wasn't in a better mood then! Trying to think of something positive is difficult which is a shame because it's a convenient hotel, used to be good value, but I'm afraid we'll be trying to find somewhere else on our next visit, also I think for the standard of hotel all the drinks seem a bit on the pricey side.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your loyalty and I am sorry that our welcome at reception was not as it should have been – we’ll work to improve this. I do hope we might welcome you again and please don’t hesitate to contact me if I can assist with this.
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

This is the old Jarvis opposite the outlet mall and Asda Livingston and just very near the river. The hotel is a bit dingy, careworn and the carpets worn. However, our upgraded room had a very comfortable bed for a 3*, tea and coffee equipment, free wifi all for £25 extra per night.
Breakfast was grim. This hotel survives, among other things, on coach tour trip guests staying overnight. When you come down to breakfast, the food will have been raided by these people who leave the hotel about 8am. Often, items run out and could not be replaced until, e.g. the next delivery after the weekend. Poor catering. The choice was poor too, as there were guests from Far East, Germany etc and not everyone enjoys Scottish cooked breakfast. No rolls, no cheese, no cooked meats, which other nationalities enjoy - sometime no yoghurt either.
However, there is a half decent little river walk along the Amazon for a pre-breakfast stroll. The swimming pool is small and is a very hot bath!
Low on ambience - but o.k. for a B & B.

Room Tip: Get the upgrade!