“did the job”

Ranked #6 of 7 Livingston B&B and Inns
doncaster
“did the job”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

stayed 20th/21st September very last minute booking for the area and struggled to get 2 rooms in the 1 hotel so we ended up there. Very long drive and arrived just minutes before restaurant closed but could not get a meal, improvised with a Chinese from the local takeaway, that's another story DO NOT TRY.... Had single room 3 and double room 7 I don't know if they are in the process of renovating as room 7 was okay, not good, very strange lay out of everything, telly where dresser should be etc, bathroom very small and shower only useable if you stood using it. Now room 3 daughter and granddaughter with a travel cot set up in this room, overall seemed cleaner but the bathroom, no bath but wow what a difference very modern and very clean.

Breakfast very average, had fry up first morning had quite a wait , not worth the wait next morning had cereal not a huge choice of cereal better than nothing I suppose. Daughter had fry up waited that long I took granddaughter to car as she was getting grouchy and we didn't want other guests to listen to a screaming baby.

Staff:- I think it all boils down to disorganisation, as the bar staff are trying to be the waiters to a full restaurant, and also serve at 2 bars that were quite busy I blame the owners as on both nights there was only 3 staff Friday night and 4 sat night and the service from 1 led us to believe he was training.
Would I go back no, the cost for a very late booking was not cheap and I would hate to pay the so called full price and stay in the accommodation we stayed in. Shame really, nice very quite area just the hotel let it down.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank cvbDoncaster

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

Got room 12 at the end of a corridor which was dark as no lighting. Got into room to find out we had no window handle which was very unsafe as we were on the first floor which meant anyone could get it. I thought that was bad but no the room was damp and bathroom was dirty definately had not been cleaned before we arrived. One good thing was the bed was clean which was the only reason we stayed.tv was held up by a bottle of water and there were raddom things in the room like a chair shoved in the corner and a vaše wi nothing in it. i know the room rate is cheap but i expect better especially working in the travel industry i would never recommend this property to clients until they spend a bit of money doing the place up. The livingston inn could be a fab place to stay if refurb as in a good location for shopping. the time we waiting on breakfast was shocking and it was ok but not worth the wait. There were not enough staff on just one had and the chef running about so wanted over 40 minutes to get food. The couple behind us wanted orange juice but there was not enough glasses out so had to share one. Someone else asked for coffee and got back waiting on kettle boilin. I would avoid this place as would never go back as think the property needs a visit from the hotel inspector as could be brillant if refurb to standard.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank katie178
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2013

After reading what other people had said I had to look this out for myself. Was I staying at the same Livingstone Inn as others , The staff were helpfull, chatty and hard working. The room was a bit small but it was clean . The breakfast was served by a young girl Claire nothing was too much for her . The barman was chatty and remembered our order from the night before. The car park was large so no need to worry about a space ( not like other places we have stayed in ) We got what we paid for , as we went in August . A place we will use again . When I get good service i always strip the bed this time I did .

Room Tip: If you enjoy the quiet this Inn is for you .
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
edinburgh
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Livingston inn at the weekend for 1 night only.....thank god!!!!
Booked online as it looked like a nice place.
Got to the "Inn" ....yes it looks like it may have been a good place once...... 50 years ago!
The car park looks like a council estate car park.
The entrance is poorly lit & very shabby.
The receptionist was on the phone to somebody for 15 minutes while we stood like lemons in the foyer.
Then eventually checked us in.
Room 7 double with an ensuite. Got to the room to find the window held open with an empty plastic water bottle.
Window blinds that had no cords to pull them down.
Had a look at the bed covers to see brown stains on the duvet cover, the sheets looked like they had been on the bed all week!
The ensuite bathroom was very shabby.shower head hanging of the wall, glass screen nearly falling of the wall.
Towel rail with bits missing, silicone seal around the bath absolutely disgusting.
2 hand Towels that had been washed recently as still smelled of detergent!
Flat screen TV that was on the wrong wall....at the side of the bed not at the end??
We didn't eat dinner as we were going to a party locally.
Breakfast was hilarious. Served between 0830-0930 said the receptionist the night before
Went down at 0910 to find all the set tables taken so sat at en empty table for at least 15 minutes before we were offered 2 place mats 2 napkins & cutlery each. Then asked by the young & obviously very inexperienced waiter if we would like a full breakfast each,yes please but no mushrooms......
The table with orange juice, milk & cereal was at the entrance to the room but no glasses or orange juice available.
We sat for 20 minutes before the waiter brought us 2 mugs & saucers & asked if we wanted tea. No offers coffee?
We asked for some orange juice & it duly arrived but there was only one las left so we shared.
There were 10 other people in the room & we thought they had all eaten. The waiter appeared 10 minutes later with 2 plates, brought them to us & we noticed there were mushrooms so we said there not ours, he then proceeded to wander around the other 5 tables asking if they had ordered the full breakfast. Eventually he found the "owners"!!
While waiting you could clearly hear a microwave going on & off in the kitchen.
He the arrived with another plate that the recipient asked has this been microwaved...".no all freshly cooked"
He eventually arrived with 2 plastic tea pots & proceeded to pour 2 Luke warm cups of tea. No sugar or milk on the table & no instructions as to where it might be hiding!!
We then realised that all the other people in the room were al waiting for their breakfast!
One guy asked for some toast & the waiter took it off another vacated table & handed it to the guy!!!!! WTF!
Ours & everyone else's breakfasts arrived within 2 minutes of each other & the same story, the poor young waiter walking round asking who wanted what!,
The couple behind asked for more tea & were blessed with the reply " we're waiting for the kettle to boil"!
They also asked if there was any more margarine to which the reply was"I'll have a look but not sure where it might be hiding"
The atmosphere in the room was comical with guest looking at each other making faces, eyes rolling etc.
The "Chef" appeared from the kitchen & my first impression was is that "Stig of the dump" he looked filthy.
To be fair the young waiter did say there was only home & the Chef on that morning & apologised for the delay.
The management ( if there is any) really need. To get a grip of the place or it will close down. Very short staffed, cleanliness & maintenance clearly lackin.
Never again will I set foot close to the place & I suggest you don't either.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nizooh
Reviewed 17 August 2013

This place was the worst b&b I have ever experienced.

To start with the outside of the building looks very tatty, hanging baskets with weeds growing in them and dead plants, signs needing to be realigned as they're wonky, cladding falling off the walls etc. But the restaurant didn't look too bad so we thought it might be ok.

We were wrong. Part of the ceiling is falling off as you head up the stairs to the rooms, the light in the hall was broken so we had to walk in darkness to our room. We had requested an early checkin and were told thus was fine, however our room was not ready and a girl came walking in without knocking and said that the room wasn't ready so we were asked to give her 15 mins. We did and found clean linen had been put on the bed (which was falling apart).

However this did not make up for the horrendous room. It clearly had not been fitted out since the 70s or 80s. The fitted wooden headboard had turned white due to age and the chrome fittings were all tarnished or rusty and had cobwebs. The walls had been painted magnolia in an attempt to modernise however they had just painted over the wallpaper and border underneath. The tv was flat screen but was held stable on the wall by a water bottle shoved behind it so it didn't fall off.

Nothing in the bathroom had been fitted properly, towel rail and toilet roll holder etc were all loose. There were yellow stains down the back of the door, round the bottom of the shower had clearly not been cleaned for some time as there was a lot of dust and hairs. The extractor fan just went to a hole in the roof and I presume because the rain had been allowed to fall onto the fan it didn't work so the bedroom steamed up a lot when the shower was used.

The worst part was that our window didn't shut. The handle had broken and therefore it was totally insecure and as it was first floor it really wouldn't have been hard for someone to climb in. How any place can hire out a room like that is entirely beyond me.

I did wonder whether some of the rooms were being refurbished but after hearing some of the other guests at breakfast i don't think this is the case.

I asked for toast at breakfast and got some made from bread that clearly went stale days ago.

I have to say the staff were very friendly and helpful but I seriously get the impression that this was out of pity as they knew what our rooms were like. This place needs closing down for a complete refurb especially as the pictures of rooms on various websites show clean modern rooms.

My advice is to avoid this place at all costs.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank misskiti
scunthorpe
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Stayed at Livie inn on Saturday 3rd august 2013 ,in room three ,pane of glass held in by nails no putty. The shower curtain was filthy. Ran out of orange juice at breakfast on sunday and the butter jam was shared between six tables. Place could do with a good makeover .

Room Tip: Do not bother
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank colin g
Reviewed 28 July 2013

My daughter and I stayed here on 20th July 2013 for 2 nights, on our arrival we were greeted by Terri, who was the most helpful person I ever met in this industry. She checked us in straight away and told us about a beautiful farm/adventure playground place just around the corner, which we went to that afternoon. My daughter had a fantastic afternoon there.

We had dinner, which was really lovely and was served by a very nice young man who couldn't do anymore to help us enjoy out lovely meal.

We slept very well in our wonderfully clean room...the bed was extremely comfortable. Our breakfast was really lovely, we went for the 'fry up' option but could of had anything we wanted. The breakfast was yummy! And so much of it!

I could not recommend the livingston inn more! And I will be returning at the next opportunity!

Thank you so much for a wonderful weekend.

• Stayed July 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Livingston
Mercure Livingston
Bankton House Hotel
Bankton House Hotel
#4 of 7 in Livingston
Home from Home Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Livingston Inn? Share your experiences!