“Lovely hotel in a quaint historic building; fantastic staff!”
Review of Balbairdie Hotel

Balbairdie Hotel
Balbairdie Hotel
Ranked #7 of 7 Bathgate B&B and Inns
Dayton, OH
“Lovely hotel in a quaint historic building; fantastic staff!”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We enjoyed a Saturday and a Sunday night in November, 2013 at The Balbairdie. We found every staff member to be exceptionally pleasant and welcoming. From the time for cleaning our room to what we would like for breakfast, the service was nicely personalized. Our bedroom and bathroom were very clean and comfy and were much larger than what is typical for an historic hotel in the U.S. In addition to the full breakfasts included each morning, we also ate dinner one evening in the Balbairdie Restaurant--all very delicious. The positive comments I've heard about the Chef, Colin, are well-deserved! The pub is also popular, and there was karaoke Saturday evening. We could hear it just a little after retiring to our room, but certainly not loud enough to bother us or keep us awake. Thank you to Lorraine and daughter, Colin, Kay, Alec, and Donna for a lovely stay at The Balbairdie. Doris & Dave

time at The Balbairdie.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank FrequentVacationer99

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

We were unfortunate enough to stay in this 'hotel' last night. We booked a room here as my best friend was getting married at the registry office in Bathgate and it looked nice in the website photos. As we were staying there and it was near the reception venue, the bride and groom also decided to book a room along with the best man and another guest. I massively regret choosing this place now as it resulted in my best friends wedding night being ruined.
First of all, the staff were informed at the time of booking by the groom that it was for their wedding night. He was told they would get the best room. Instead they got a tiny room with old and faded stripey bedding and a dirty bath overlooking a messy beer garden. When they eventually located my key I was put into a family room with one of the single beds actually being a camp bed. The double bed looked filthy and when I sat on it, I nearly hit the bed base the mattress was so saggy and soft. When I stood back up the mattress stayed flat. Add in the marks all over the walls and table, the hole in the bathroom door and the screws sticking out the wall where my daughter could touch them and I was very unhappy - especially for the £75 price tag. After complaining, I was moved to another room which overlooked the beer garden too. I was short on time so quickly got ready and left for the wedding. After the ceremony the bride informed her husband about how crap their room was and his father complained, so they were moved. Upon our return we had to fight our way through a jam packed pub with my sleeping 5 year old. Then we noticed the bride and grooms new bed was held up by a tin of paint and pulling back the covers we found pubic hair on the sheets. I went down to the bar and asked for them to be moved again. The woman was lovely but she informed the newlyweds all she had to offer was a room with 2 single beds. The bride was now in tears. A swap was made with the best man who took the room with the single beds. We all fell into bed but we had a very disturbed night. People shouting, swearing, fighting and slamming doors all night. The newlyweds said their bed was so uncomfortable they hardly slept. A staff member then walked into their room unannounced while the bride was standing in her underwear. When the groom decided to complain about the whole experience in the hotel he was told if he didn't like it he should have gone elsewhere. The best man awoke to find his toilet didn't flush and he had actually just slept in a bed stained with menstrual blood. He had been so tired he hadn't noticed when he got into bed and had slept on the sheet all night. My fiance and I had a terrible and uncomfortable night, as did my 5 year old. I then tried to shower...it sounded like a power tool was in use, it sprayed water from the hose and the pressure was so low I struggled to wash my hair. Breakfast was included in the cost of our rooms but we had all had enough - we were not eating in that hell hole. The managers were on holiday so their daughter came in to speak to us all. When we explained it all she said all she could do was apologise and we should just settle the bill and her parents would deal with us on their return. The bride burst into tears again as she tried to make it clear to this woman that her wedding night had been destroyed and we told her she was mistaken if she thought any of us were paying a penny! The woman informed us that it must have been a one off as they normally get great reviews. I laughed and told her she must be joking, I would have been better off sleeping in a bus station. She agreed the rooms 'need some refurbishment'. Understatement of the century.

I do not recommend this 'hotel' to anyone! It is made out to be lovely on the website but it's a grotty hole. My friend will never get her wedding night back. She is completely gutted and so am I. Shut the place down and get your acts together!!

• Stayed November 2013
5 Thank MissCC2B
West Lothian
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I stayed here with my partner , and will be the very last! This hotel is far the worst. All weekend we stayed and not once did i see any staff! I never got told breakfast times no information at all! Witch is rediclious. Saturday night it was like the party was in our room! I think use should sort this out and not allocate people directly above the bar!! Housekeeper never once seen anyone either never got clean cups more tea coffee only thing was housekeeper left clean towels outside room witch had holes in it, I think they need new ones!! When having a shower it sounded like there was a generator in the shower with you same when you flush the toilet. I think this hotel should just shut down! Its rubbish!! the only thing i will say is the linen was spotless! But the beds were not comfortable atall, my partner woke up with a sore neck in the morning!! There was just a single wire hocked upto the television NOT A GOOD IDEA!! The plug socket was cracked and had food all over it (BOKE) The kettle needs updated as it all rusty and bits of the rust could go into your tea/coffee!!! As for food never even attempted to try this so cant comment on there food! So if your looking for somewhere nice and quiet this is most definitely not the place!!

Room Tip: do not visit!!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Stephanie M
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I have just returned from staying here and I have to say it was poor, very poor. My room was bordering on disgusting (see photo's), at least the bed linen was clean or I would have left there and then. There was noise from the pub below and from the smokers outside so be prepared for the colourful language and music. The food in the evening was OK to be honest but the service from the lady in the 'restaurant' was interesting to say the least, nearly throws the plates at you. There was one guy in there who I believe worked in the kitchen who was very helpful and polite. My room well the radiator looked like it was covered in grease, the bathroom window was prevented from opening by toilet paper, the chair in the room was covered in stains (I didn't bother putting anything on it), the bathroom itself is badly in need of painting, the carpet could do with cleaning to say the least etc etc.
Breakfast consisted of a toaster, two loaves of bread, some butter, jam etc, a bowl of sugar, a bowl of instant coffee, a bowl of sugar and a bowl of tea bags. I was told my breakfast would be out in a minute, not asked what I would like.
The hotel needs work a lot of work in my opinion and that is all this is, you make up your own mind if you choose to stay.
I will NOT be staying there again, of that you can be sure.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Gary P
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2013

When we visited, the dining room/lounge had a large party at one table, which, due to the low ceiling, made the place very noisy.
The menu is nothing particularly fancy, with your traditional pub type food.
That said, the meals we had were very good, with fresh vegetables, tender meat and well presented on hot plates!
I could not fit a dessert in, however, I did see some on other tables, and they looked very tasty, and, again, all fresh and homemade.
This place is definitely well worth a visit, if you're in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Bathgate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Just been here for lunch with a party of 9 from work. Our meals all turned up at different times and 1 of our party waited an hour for his to arrive.
By the time his meal came out, the rest of our party had finished eating and been in the place for over an hour!
Can't complain about the food but really not impressed with the service and time we waited. Would not recommend on this basis.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank BMWGhirl
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We stayed here two nights while visiting Edinburgh, which is just 20 minutes away on a train. The hotel is located in the centre of Bathgate, although it is a bit difficult to find it (you have to drive from the back street). The rooms are on the first floor over the pub, but there is no problem with the noise - and we stayed on Friday, when there was live music downstairs. The room was clean with a comfy bed, although it was rather small - but that is no problem for a night or two. The bathroom was okay with a big bathtube. Overally, I would recommend a stay here as a really good value for money.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bathgate
Cairn Hotel
Macdonald Houstoun House
Tarrareoch Farm B&B
Tarrareoch Farm B&B
#1 of 1 in Armadale

Been to Balbairdie Hotel? Share your experiences!