“A very warm welcome.”

Ranked #7 of 7 Bathgate B&B and Inns
Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand
“A very warm welcome.”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

My Kiwi friends had just arrived in Glasgow airport and we headed here for first night stop. Excellent reception from Dave. couple of hiccups with our booking but turned out OK. Other very friendly staff . Hotel is central to some nice little shops, bit noisy in rooms from the noise of the bar under. The toilets have a macerate machine which is very noisy too so you tend not to flush the loo in the middle of night. A fabulous meal in the dining room, everyone thrilled with their quite attractive menu, and good price. Overall the staff held the rating, nice enough

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This is a fairly small pub but very popular with the locals. A few hotel rooms on the first floor directly above the pub. We stayed for 2 nights on Fri and Sat recently.

Positives: Free parking and a friendly initial welcome. Walking distance to Bathgate town centre and train station which allows you to reach both Edinburgh and Glasgow in under 40 mins.

Negatives: The main problem was the loud music and karaoke on both nights. The window to our room was directly above the entrance to the pub so we could hear every word of the people stood smoking outside. This continued until 1am on both nights when the bar closed and made it impossible for us to sleep until then.

We could also hear banging doors, drunk people walking past singing and shouting on their way home, plumbing and other noises from neighbouring rooms. Walls were very thin. We even got woken by the noise of a washing machine early on the second morning which sounded like it was right outside our room!

Room was very basic but had all of the essentials. This we expected from a £60 per night "hotel" and if it wasn't for the noise I wouldn't have cause to complain. We didn't bother with the breakfast due to the previous bad comments on Trip Advisor.

This is not a hotel. It's a very busy and noisy pub, popular with locals which has a few rooms directly above the bar. I didn't say anything to the staff because it would have meant going down to the busy, noisy pub which would have been very intimidating. When we checked out the card machine was broken - luckily there was a cash machine right outside but if I wanted to pay by credit card I would have been in trouble. The person that took the money didn't even ask me if we had a nice stay or if there had been any problems. If they had asked then I would have said something, but they didn't and I just wanted to get out of there as soon as I could and go to McDonalds for my breakfast.

Will not be going back here!!!

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, ask for a room furthest from the bar.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank AntGLeeds
Longniddry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

My friend and I stayed here as we were going to a wedding reception locally. On arrival the staff were very welcoming and carried our bags upstairs for us. The door at the top of the stairs has a security code entry system presumably to keep bar customers out of the rooms. Once through here there was a reception desk but it was never manned. We were given the family room with two single beds and a double. One of the singles I could see was a camp bed. The bathroom had some fittings missing and some protruding screws which would have been dangerous for children. The shower worked well. Breakfast was only served till 8.45 am and I can't comment on it as we never made it. The room was ok for somewhere to crash but needs a bit of an overhaul. We could have stayed at a premier inn for about the same cost would have been better surrounding.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
scotland
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Great hotel with the friendliest staff I've ever met. Can't wait to return . Stayed here for a wedding at the vu had lunch which was the best food I've had in years. Breakfast was excellent all in all eventing was excellent.

Room Tip: Room 1 was the business, can't comment on the others.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Glendaruel
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I stayed over for one night and found it to be an excellent small hotel! The staff were absolutely first class, friendly and helpful without being intrusive. I had their family Room, (£75 per night) two large double beds and a large single all to myself, and loved it! :O)

My room was over the Hotel's front door and the bar was extremely busy but no noise intruded. I had dinner in the restaurant and was also happy with that.

In the morning I had the Scottish breakfast which again met with no complaints from me.

When you go into the bar you are met with many friendly people willing to to talk to you and to help you. The whole place exudes an air of friendliness. The only complaint I heard was when someone moaned about there being no tomatoes at breakfast! Certainly not important enough for me to complain about.

The down side is the Hotel is a bit difficult to find by car and sat/nav is of no help. I ask four people before I found the one person who gave me exact details of how to get there but that's not the Hotel's fault. I would suggest they get a decent set of instructions on how to get there and that is my only criticism of the place!! LOVED it!

Room Tip: Try and obtain explicit details of its location prior to setting out.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Tumut, Australia
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Balbairdie in early May 2014 and it was the friendliest hotel we have stayed in. The staff and patrons were most welcoming towards us and made us feel at home. The restaurant served delicious food and certainly put up a hearty breakfast. Thanks to all at the Balbairdie for making us feel so welcome and taking excellent care of us!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DebS252014
Bathgate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Visited on Saturday afternoon. I had a Mexican style steak cooked to perfection.My partner had the steak pie.My daughter had home made chicken nuggets.The starters were out of this world.All in all a fantastic dining experience.Top nosh

Stayed April 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bathgate
Cairn Hotel
Macdonald Houstoun House
Tarrareoch Farm B&B
Tarrareoch Farm B&B
#1 of 1 in Armadale

Been to Balbairdie Hotel? Share your experiences!