“food ok but service not great”
Review of Cairn Hotel

Cairn Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Bathgate
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“food ok but service not great”
Reviewed 28 January 2014

the food here is ok but I would not go back.
I have been 3 times now with friends and we thought it would get better but sadly it did not.
think the staff need some training.
the décor is a bit dated and it could be doing with a make over.
the price is not bad but that reflects the quality of the food.
would avoid going back here.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Scotland
Reviewed 23 December 2013

As per previous reviewer I had a terrible experience, on eating my meal I crunched on what I believe to have been a small piece of glass, I advised one of the servers who questioned me about what had been broken on our table, when I advised nothing had been broken and suggested perhaps something had been broken in the kitchen she looked at me as though I were mad to suggest such a thing, she took the piece of ' glass' away and said she would notify owners.

The Female owner approached me and again questioned me about what had been broken on our table and preceded to unhygenically run her fingers round the inside of the jug and glass we were drinking from looking for something broken!! She never once apologised at this stage and asked for the piece of 'glass' I advised the server had taken this away.

She came back to advise this was not glass but actually rock salt and said she was so happy to have "got to the bottom of it" I do not believe it was rock salt but it was not open for discussion and on returning home I emailed the Hotel as I was extremely dissatisfied.

About 3 or 4 days later I received a patronising reply from the Male owner which was to me abrupt and passive aggresive in its wording. He told me that everyone else in the Hotel that day had given him excellent feedback.

To him it seemed my complaint was futile and he only seemed to be interested in his 'excellent feedback' which is a shame as a bad experience stays with you longer than a good one and a few differently chosen words in his reply could have made all the difference to my opinion of their customer service.

On a plus point the young servers and the receptionist were absolutely excellent and the overall cleanliness of the Hotel seemed good however I will never set foot in this place again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Cooshty

Travellers are raving about these Bathgate hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Thanks to everyone at the Cairn Hotel for a lovely meal on Saturday 14 December,

The food was delicious and beautifully presented and the staff were attentive and helpful. Well done ... we will be back.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank LizetteT
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

This year for our work Christmas night out we went to the Cairn hotel. We had arrived early so enjoyed a few drinks in the bar where the staff were very nice and helpful. Enjoyed the meal, never had any complaints at all from anybody in our party! When I first read the menu it looked like a typical Christmas menu, but the soup was something else, could have ate it all night! The rest of the dinner was lovely and was well and truly full for the rest of the night! The tribute acts were a great laugh, she got everyone on their feet and laughing especially! All the staff couldn't have been nicer, the service was very quick all night in the bar and serving dinner.
Great night!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kerro90
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Stayed here for 4 days, I simply loved it, the staff is very courteous nd helpful, I really felt so much in peace nd tranquility. Breakfast was excellent, the service is great, would definitely come here again and would recommend it to evrybody. 5☆from me.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank fizadastgir
Essex
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I stayed last night with a colleague on business.
A very nice hotel only 15 mins from airport, food good, room nice, but staff... excellent!
Couldn't do enough for me, so friendly, a really nice stay!
Thank you.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank MapManEssex
Bathgate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

I have to say I was very disappointed at the Cairn restaurant last night.Main meal was warm at best.Had to ask for dessert to be reheated.Service was poor also.Now i have been many times and found it faultless.but was so bad i feel i wont be back to repeat the experience.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank karenspence
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bathgate
Best Western Glasgow Livingston Hilcroft Hotel
Macdonald Houstoun House
West Port Hotel
West Port Hotel
#2 of 2 in Linlithgow

Been to Cairn Hotel? Share your experiences!