“Very Disappointed”

Airth Castle & Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Airth
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Just returned from our overnight stay, and extremely disappointed. Got deal for DB&B, arrived yesterday afternoon, check in was pleasent, turned out we were in exact same room as last time we visited! Got to our room and it was extremely shabby,very run down since last time (which was only in November) burn marks and stains on carpets, and just very tired looking.

We had booked our meal for 8pm, starter wasnt the best, but was just bad choice from me, then ordered a £26 when came it was wrong, sent it back to be brought another steak which was RAW, by that time I was just completely put off! Ordered desert again, they brought me wrong thing ! Once we had finished our meal we requested the bill, 45 minutes later the bill came, after requesting it 4 times, not even a discount considering Id complained about the steak TWICE!! We ended up only sitting and having 2 drinks and then called it a night! Once we got back to room remembered that part of our deal was also to get glass wine each with dinner, which we didnt get either!

When we woke up this morning we had note under door to say there was nohot water, fortunately we planned on going to spa anyway so that wasnt to much of a hassel.

Overall, very disappointed :(

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Joanna1507
AuroraHotels, Personal Assistant at Airth Castle & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2013

Thank you for sharing your impressions following your stay at Airth Castle Hotel & Spa.

Having read your comments, I am sorry to learn that your overall experience did not meet with your expectations and you left feeling disappointed with some aspects of your stay, particularly your accommodation.

I would very much welcome the opportunity to personally discuss the various aspects of your feedback. I can be reached at isla.kerr@aurorahotelcollection.com or on 0844 800 4000, at your earliest convenience.

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you once again for taking the trouble to write a review. Kind Regards Isla Kerr PA to the CEO Aurora Hotel Collection

Write a ReviewReviews (2,085)

Reviewed 28 April 2013

This is called arithmetic castle and hotel. They have both about 50 metres apart. the hotel does the rooms and meals, the castle does functions. During our stay they had a wedding in it and overnight ears from the wedding boosted the restaurant at breakfast. We had a very warm ,friendly welcome and the room was very spacious being equipped with all the little extras we have come to expect ( like tv,trouser press and tea/coffee making facilities). The room itself was quiet and comfortable but the decor was needing to be freshened up, particularly the en suite! The promised wifi did not work in the bedrooms,only in the public areas like the lounge. Not a problem for me but could be to a businessman trying to catch up with some work. The food was very good and the dining room bright and airy . It is a large conservatory attached to the rear of the hotel open from the piano bar.We never used the spa but a quick peek showed a pool, hot tub and sauna plus all the usual exercise equipment.

Room Tip: This hotel is set about a half mile from the quiet village of Airth which has nothing of interest! T...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences at Airth Castle Hotel & Spa We were extremely pleased to hear that you had such an enjoyable time with us. I have taken on board the points you raise about your accommodation and will pass them over to the General Manager. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon. Kind Regards, Isla Kerr, PA to the CEO Aurora Hotel Collection

Reviewed 27 April 2013

Been to this hotel/spa 2 years ago to attend a wedding was not disappointed when I returned with another two couples for a short break this week.From the moment we arrived at reception to the excellent staff from reception to the ladies who serviced our rooms made this a most enjoyable stay. The dining room and bar staff were all polite and friendly especially Helen our server at dinner and a little Filipino chap at breakfast had us all tired watching him scurry about looking after us and other guests.Anyone finding serious fault with this venue needs a reality check.
PS Food was great,well done to the whole team.

Room Tip: Room was fine, clean and roomy but if I had to find fault -- Squeaky floorboards ( no big deal )
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

What a lovely review - thank you for your kind comments. It is always wonderful to see a review with 'Wish we could have stayed longer' as the subject! thank you! I am delighted that you were well looked after and will be sure to pass on your feedback to the team there.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind Regards, Isla Kerr, PA to the CEO Aurora Hotel Collection

Reviewed 26 April 2013

Just wish to say well done to all connected with the Spa.

I work in The Beauty Industry and have previously set up and managed Spas in hotels throughout the UK.

I recently visited the facilities at Airth Castle having heard numerous reviews. I was met with a smile and professionalism as soon as I walked into the establishment which put me at ease immediately.

The people in companies are those who make them great and going by the therapist I had, this Spa has the makings to be one of the best. As Ive said I work in the Industry and probably have more treatments in a month than some people have in a lifetime so I really felt cpmpelled to post a review after my treatment with Marriane.

She was a total credit to the industry with her friendliness, professionalism and her knowledge. Sometimes first impressions can be wrong but not here. The treatment I reveived has honestly got to be one of the best. I cannot praise her highly enough.

I recommend anyone to try the treatments out at Airth. Thank you again Marriane and thank you Airth for having such a fantastic member of staff.

Room Tip: Never stayed in a room. My visit was purely for the Spa.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a fantastic review of your experience at the Spa at Airth Castle Hotel. We were absolutely delighted to read your comments, especially from someone who works in the industry. I look forward to sharing this great feedback with all of the team. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon. Kind Regards Isla Kerr, PA to the CEO Aurora Hotel Collection

Reviewed 25 April 2013

When you own/run a venue as grand (in theory) as a Castle, and see wonderful pictures of said Castle you might expect you are heading to a unique and memorable venue. Well don't.

As I drove past the Castle to park in the gravel area next to reception I hoped my room might be in the Castle rather than the plain looking office block styled living areas of the main building. But there was no Castle for me. Instead a 1st floor room in a building that, at times, made me think what the inside of an old peoples home might look like.

My room was tired, with creaky floor boards, curtains that did not fully close, broken bathroom tiles, and a mattress that might make mahogany feel like memory foam.

Dinner was quite tasty, in a great big room with an amazing daylit atrium, and an "automatic" piano - if I had a few more drinks that would have freaked me out even more! Breakfast the next morning was a bit predictable though tasted OK. Wifi connection was poor in bedrooms and meeting rooms. Mainly good staff.

So, overall, clearly well marketed to create images of the "wow" factor; the actual experience was more of the "why" factor.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank sleep007

Should you wish to take the opportunity to discuss this further I can be reached at isla.kerr@aurorahotelcollection.com or on 0844 800 4000, at your earliest convenience.

Reviewed 24 April 2013

First, the grand, magnificent building, which is the only building you see in the hotel's advertising is NOT the building that most guests stay in. We, as do most guests, stayed in the modern building, which is fine, but has absolutely zero charm. It seems really dishonest to lead people to believe they'll be staying in a "castle", when, in fact, the building is hardly better than a Premiere Inn. Also, don't stay here if you need wireless internet access. They claim to have it, but it is completely unusable. We were there with 4 other couples, and among the 5 rooms we had, all in different parts of the hotel, no one's wi-fi worked. It kept dropping the signal, and when it had a signal, it was so slow you couldn't use it. To the hotel's credit, the rooms were very nice, and quite spacious. The restaurant was good, although they served instant decaf coffee, and tried to claim it was brewed, before someone finally admitted that it was instant. As for the staff - all those with Scottish accents were very friendly and helpful. Most of the others were rude and bad-tempered. I'm sorry if that sounds narrow-minded; I don't mean for it to be. But the locals were wonderful, and I think the others need to be trained to treat guests like their Scottish colleagues.

All in all, I'd give Airth Castle Hotel a miss next time. It was more of a disappointment than anything else.

1  Thank RicoEduardo
AuroraHotels, Personal Assistant at Airth Castle & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2013

I would very much welcome the opportunity to personally discuss the various aspects of your feedback. I can be reached at isla.kerr@aurorahotelcollection.com at your earliest convenience.

Reviewed 24 April 2013

Stayed here overnight in April, the room was clean but fairly dated furniture and exceptionally warm. We had to ask for a fan which didn't help much. Food was exceptional and can't complain, staff were also very friendly. Got woke up at 3am by ladies arguing and had to phone reception, there was a large wedding on when we stayed and the hotel was fairly busy. Not sure if I would return again, fairly average hotel although the castle looked nice.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your experience of staying at Airth Castle Hotel & Spa. First of all, may I offer our sincere apologies that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

Please be assured that we take your comments very seriously. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your concerns further, so that we can avoid any repetition of your experiences in the future. If this would be of interest, I can be reached on Isla.Kerr@aurorahotelcollection.com or 0844 800 4000. Kind Regards, Isla Kerr, PA to the CEO Aurora Hotel Collection

Also consider these accommodations in or near Airth
The Royal Hotel
Grange Manor
#1 of 4 in Grangemouth
The Stirling Highland Hotel
Best Western Park Hotel

Been to Airth Castle & Hotel? Share your experiences!