2,291 results
All reviewsboth nightsbuffet stylesteam roomfood was lovelyspa areafrom start to finishjunior suitehaggisturretglasgowfalkirk
Reviewed 27 September 2013

this is a very comfortable hotel for both business and leisure trips, it is well positioned to cover from Edinburgh up to Dundee and beyond. The staff are all very courteous and efficient.
The food is also very good and reasonably priced, the waiting staff have a good knowledge of both the food and wine available.
The hotel is well run and kept nice and clean. There is also a leisure club & spa on site to relax after a busy day. I would recommend anyone to give it a try.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the castle.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank billmitchison
AuroraHotels, Personal Assistant at Airth Castle & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Airth Castle Hotel &Spa. We were delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay. The team at Airth Castle was pleased to read that you found the food to be good and reasonably priced and that after a long day you were able to relax and use our leisure facilities. We hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

Stayed here 2 nights on this remote location where the (in)famous haunted Airth castle prevailed with nonchalant stories from the staff about the "sightings" in the Castle. We were relieved that the main hotel wing is actually in another block about 100 meters away from the Castle (which is still used as a staff quarter with rooms to rent when the main block is fully booked). The main block is actually full of character too with squeaky floors, heavy drapes, large bay windows and dated but spacious rooms.

The Grill Room was a disappointment as we found the dishes too rich and seem to be cooked without finesse. However breakfasts were very good. If you are staying here, you need your own transport to go to outside eateries and luckily some friends picked us for a lovely & cheaper dinner at a lovely restaurant at the Bridge of Allan, a 20 minutes drive from Airth Castle.

The remote location could be boon or bane for some, depending on your needs and preference. For us, it is too remote and won't be back if we are in Edinburgh.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
AuroraHotels, Personal Assistant at Airth Castle & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Airth Castle Hotel &Spa. I have passed all of your comments on to the team at Airth Castle who will look into the comments regarding your meal in the Grill Room. I am pleased that you had an enjoyable breakfast, Airth Castle is in a peaceful location but you can also easily reach the cities if you have access to a car. We hope you had an enjoyable stay.

Reviewed 18 September 2013

My friend and I booked a spa break for us to relax and unwind on 17/08/2013 after our kids went back to school. We arrived and reception stored our cases as our room was not ready which was not a problem as we had treatments booked . We went to the spa, filled out a form given to us by a not very happy receptionist. (dont know why we filled them out as the therapist had to ask us any heath problems etc, also, I found a form lying in the relaxation room filled in, no one else was there, I could have taken it and used all her details, this needs improved) we got shown where changing rooms were etc, but was never given the robes slippers and towels (luckily we brought our own) that we were supposed to receive. Changing facilities were not nice, loose tiles on floor, did not look too clean, was rather grubby. I used the disabled toilet to get changed in and I have to say it was smelly, had to spray deodorant to freshen it up. Pool was rather chilly, the steam room was not working.

TREATMENT

We had a lovely hot stone back neck and shoulders massage which was lovely, the therapist was really nice, only problem was the lights did not get dimmed and hot stones where hardly used.

CHECK IN AND ROOM

We went to check in, got given a double room when requested a twin room, we had to call reception to get this sorted, waited about half hour for our new room. I could not relax as I was worried I would be late for my appointment in the spa for reflexology. Finally got into our twin room, which looked very tired. Furniture was chipped, very old fashioned, worn, not what you would expect in a 4 star hotel. chair was needing re-upholstered as could feel the base through the cushion had to use a cushion for comfort. Ironing board was very thin, was scared the metal would go onto my dress i was wearing for dinner. beds where like a brick, called reception after dinner to see if there was any mattress toppers but was told they did not do them, but we could get extra bedding to lay on top. thought about it and called back and asked for some more pillows, we waited a long time, and when the door knocked we where surprised when we were given 1 extra pillow as that was al they had.. needless to say, we did not have a good night sleep, very restless, our massages we had the day before was a waste of time as we ended up sorer than previously before we had our massage.

DINNER

Went to restaurant, got seated, then whilst we waited to get served, a drip from the celling fell and marked my dress, we were not able to move tables but got moved to the other side of the table which was ok. Ordered food, my prawn cocktail was the tiniest prawn cocktail ever, then main course of beef cheeks came, looked nice, but tasted like corned beef, could not eat it, got it replaced with the tuna which was lovely, my friend ordered the chicken, but when it came the chicken was cold, when my friends replacement arrived, she had gone off it, felt a bit sick so went to the room to lie down.

BREAKFAST

Was nice, only problem was the toaster, would only toast one side and when you put it in the other way up it came out burnt.

WIFI

Tried to get connected but just could not get connected.

CHECK OUT

Upon checkout, we were getting charged £30 more than we were quoted when booked, (i even called the day before to confirm my TWIN ROOM booking and to get the cost). The receptionist got someone for us to speak to about our stay. She sorted the cost for us and refunded some of dinner, which was nice but not ideal as we really deserved the break away. She told us someone would be in touch with us reguarding our stay, one month later, no one has contacted us atall. Very disappointing.

OVERALL EXPERIENCE

We booked it because my friend had stayed there previously and raved about it, so thought it would be ideal. how wrong we were. Was not worth the 4 stars the hotel is rated, I have had better at the holiday inn, more comfortable than Airth Castle. If you want somewhere to go and relax, then avoid Airth Castle :(

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Irenef74

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your experience of staying at Airth Castle Hotel & Spa. First of all, may I offer our sincere apologies that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. I am concerned about several of your comments, which have been taken on board and passed on to the relevant Department Heads.

Please be assured that we take your comments very seriously. I am aware that your comments are being looked into and the General Manager will get back to you as soon as possible
Kind Regards Laura Barry, PA to the CEO Aurora Hotel Collection.

Reviewed 18 September 2013

This was our first time stay at Airth Castle, and it certainly won't be our last!! Our room was very spacious, bed was comfortable, room itself was airy, no noise was to be heard during the night, even though we were next to the fire exit which lead to the smoking area. We had our evening meal on our first night and everything from the staff to the liqueur coffees was fantastic! Our second day, we spent a while in the spa area, which was pleasant and very relaxing, although there was only one steam room which was hotter than normal. The Hotel grounds, were well maintained and pleasurable to have a walk round. All in all our 2 nights visit was very enjoyable, peaceful and pleasant!!! We will back at some point as we do take regular 'short stay' holidays. The Staff were always very pleasant and professional, keep up the fantastic work!!!
Jan & Kevin Carnochan, Lockerbie.

Room Tip: If you are wanting to stay in the actual Castle, please state this in your reservation booking. We were happy with our room in the annexe building, a short walk from the Castle.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

What a lovely review – thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay at Airth Castle Hotel & Spa. I was delighted to read that you both had a fantastic two night stay with us. The spa can be a great place to relax in and there are nice walks around the castle. I will pass all of you kind comments on to the team a Airth Castle who will be very pleased and we hope to welcome you both back very soon.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights. My luggage got mixed up by the porter, waited for 2 hours and nothing arrived at my door so i went around to look for my luggage. Found it outside room 112, but my room was room 211.

Hotel is far from civilization; had no choice but to dine in their restaurant THE GRILL ROOM because the nearest restaurant is about 20minutes walk along the highway.

The airth castle is a little creepy, went there and it seemed abandoned. Can't believe there are guests who stay there.

There is no heating in the lobby and hallway, it is freezing cold inside the hotel and restaurant. Thank goodness the radiator heats up easily inside the room.

There are complimentary soaps and shampoos inside the bathroom.

Was happy to stay here for 2 nights but would not like to come back again as this is too far to everything and it gives me the creeps to know the castle is haunted

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank helbanes

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Airth Castle Hotel &Spa. Airth Castle is used mainly for weddings and private events; there are some bedrooms within the Castle that are more in keeping with staying with the surroundings. I will pass all of your comments on to the team at Airth Castle and we hope to welcome you back again.