2,327 results
All reviews both nights steam room spa area from start to finish junior suite haggis turret glasgow falkirk
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I was allocated a room on the 3rd floor, after a wait of about an hour on check in as the check in IT had crashed! Eventually I was given my room and key and off I went to unpack etc. The tiredness of the room hit me straight away, it needs some work with the bathroom in particular being desperate for some attention. Next morning I was at the desk asking to be moved rooms, which they agreed to and I was told that when I arrived back at the hotel after work I would be in the Castle and given my room number. I was assured all my belongings would be moved over. On my return, I picked up my key from reception and set off for the castle. I got into my room to find none of my belongings were in the room. I phoned reception and the guy had no idea I had been moved from another room nor why. I was told he would call me back but after 20 mins no call so off I go again to reception. There were 2 Guy's in reception neither of whom knew the saga of my move nor where my belongings were. Eventually I suggest that they should go and look in my old room and sure enough my kit is found. So off I go again to the castle carrying my bags and clothes after requesting a table for 8pm. Back I yomp once again for my table to be told too busy to accommodate a table for one and have to wait until 9.15 for a meal despite there being numerous empty tables. I have deliberately not mentioned why I moved rooms but suffice it to say I did expect a degree of understanding from the staff but the lack of awareness amongst the staff I had to interact with throughout my stay just showed there was no awareness, no continuity of service and care. At checkout initially I was asked to pay the full amount and once I challenged it and explained why I was not happy to pay in full I was told, "I'm sorry I wasn't aware of that" I rest my case

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank HarleymanNotts
AuroraHotels, Personal Assistant at Airth Castle & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

Thank you for sharing your impressions following your stay at Airth Castle Hotel & Spa.
Having read your comments, I am sorry to learn that your overall experience did not meet your expectations and left you feeling disappointed with some aspects of your stay.

I would very much like the opportunity to personally discuss the various aspects of your feedback. I can be reached at laura.barry@aurorahotelcollection.com, at your earliest convenience.

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you once again for taking the trouble to write a review. Kind Regards Laura Barry PA to the CEO Aurora Hotel Collection

Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

We came here a few months ago and it just wasn't what I expected. However on this trip back (always give somewhere a second chance) it was much improved.
Our room was one of the newly refurbished ones and I have to say that it looked lovely, very up to date. The new shower was also top notch.

We dinned at the grill room and our meal was fantastic, posh but not over the top fancy. Our starters were lovely and
We decided to share the meat platter for 2 and it was cooked perfectly as ordered. Just managed to squeeze in a tasty pud too before I was fit to burst. We retreated back to the room to have a rest on the very comfy bed.

One thing I did notice was that we got a range of pillows in our room, this was brilliant as I normally hate the feather pillows you get in a posh hotel. I chose what I think was a memory foam one (like at home) perfect nights sleep.

We had also pre booked in to the spa and our treatment was first class, felt so relaxed afterwards

We will defiantly return

• Stayed: September 2013

What a lovely review – thank you for your kind comments regarding your return visit to Airth Castle Hotel & Spa. I was delighted to read that you had a fantastic stay ranging from your bedroom to your spa treatments. The team will be pleased that you enjoyed your dining experience within the Grill Room and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

this is a very comfortable hotel for both business and leisure trips, it is well positioned to cover from Edinburgh up to Dundee and beyond. The staff are all very courteous and efficient.
The food is also very good and reasonably priced, the waiting staff have a good knowledge of both the food and wine available.
The hotel is well run and kept nice and clean. There is also a leisure club & spa on site to relax after a busy day. I would recommend anyone to give it a try.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the castle.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank billmitchison

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Airth Castle Hotel &Spa. We were delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay. The team at Airth Castle was pleased to read that you found the food to be good and reasonably priced and that after a long day you were able to relax and use our leisure facilities. We hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

Stayed here 2 nights on this remote location where the (in)famous haunted Airth castle prevailed with nonchalant stories from the staff about the "sightings" in the Castle. We were relieved that the main hotel wing is actually in another block about 100 meters away from the Castle (which is still used as a staff quarter with rooms to rent when the main block is fully booked). The main block is actually full of character too with squeaky floors, heavy drapes, large bay windows and dated but spacious rooms.

The Grill Room was a disappointment as we found the dishes too rich and seem to be cooked without finesse. However breakfasts were very good. If you are staying here, you need your own transport to go to outside eateries and luckily some friends picked us for a lovely & cheaper dinner at a lovely restaurant at the Bridge of Allan, a 20 minutes drive from Airth Castle.

The remote location could be boon or bane for some, depending on your needs and preference. For us, it is too remote and won't be back if we are in Edinburgh.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
AuroraHotels, Personal Assistant at Airth Castle & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Airth Castle Hotel &Spa. I have passed all of your comments on to the team at Airth Castle who will look into the comments regarding your meal in the Grill Room. I am pleased that you had an enjoyable breakfast, Airth Castle is in a peaceful location but you can also easily reach the cities if you have access to a car. We hope you had an enjoyable stay.

Reviewed 18 September 2013

My friend and I booked a spa break for us to relax and unwind on 17/08/2013 after our kids went back to school. We arrived and reception stored our cases as our room was not ready which was not a problem as we had treatments booked . We went to the spa, filled out a form given to us by a not very happy receptionist. (dont know why we filled them out as the therapist had to ask us any heath problems etc, also, I found a form lying in the relaxation room filled in, no one else was there, I could have taken it and used all her details, this needs improved) we got shown where changing rooms were etc, but was never given the robes slippers and towels (luckily we brought our own) that we were supposed to receive. Changing facilities were not nice, loose tiles on floor, did not look too clean, was rather grubby. I used the disabled toilet to get changed in and I have to say it was smelly, had to spray deodorant to freshen it up. Pool was rather chilly, the steam room was not working.

TREATMENT

We had a lovely hot stone back neck and shoulders massage which was lovely, the therapist was really nice, only problem was the lights did not get dimmed and hot stones where hardly used.

CHECK IN AND ROOM

We went to check in, got given a double room when requested a twin room, we had to call reception to get this sorted, waited about half hour for our new room. I could not relax as I was worried I would be late for my appointment in the spa for reflexology. Finally got into our twin room, which looked very tired. Furniture was chipped, very old fashioned, worn, not what you would expect in a 4 star hotel. chair was needing re-upholstered as could feel the base through the cushion had to use a cushion for comfort. Ironing board was very thin, was scared the metal would go onto my dress i was wearing for dinner. beds where like a brick, called reception after dinner to see if there was any mattress toppers but was told they did not do them, but we could get extra bedding to lay on top. thought about it and called back and asked for some more pillows, we waited a long time, and when the door knocked we where surprised when we were given 1 extra pillow as that was al they had.. needless to say, we did not have a good night sleep, very restless, our massages we had the day before was a waste of time as we ended up sorer than previously before we had our massage.

DINNER

Went to restaurant, got seated, then whilst we waited to get served, a drip from the celling fell and marked my dress, we were not able to move tables but got moved to the other side of the table which was ok. Ordered food, my prawn cocktail was the tiniest prawn cocktail ever, then main course of beef cheeks came, looked nice, but tasted like corned beef, could not eat it, got it replaced with the tuna which was lovely, my friend ordered the chicken, but when it came the chicken was cold, when my friends replacement arrived, she had gone off it, felt a bit sick so went to the room to lie down.

BREAKFAST

Was nice, only problem was the toaster, would only toast one side and when you put it in the other way up it came out burnt.

WIFI

Tried to get connected but just could not get connected.

CHECK OUT

Upon checkout, we were getting charged £30 more than we were quoted when booked, (i even called the day before to confirm my TWIN ROOM booking and to get the cost). The receptionist got someone for us to speak to about our stay. She sorted the cost for us and refunded some of dinner, which was nice but not ideal as we really deserved the break away. She told us someone would be in touch with us reguarding our stay, one month later, no one has contacted us atall. Very disappointing.

OVERALL EXPERIENCE

We booked it because my friend had stayed there previously and raved about it, so thought it would be ideal. how wrong we were. Was not worth the 4 stars the hotel is rated, I have had better at the holiday inn, more comfortable than Airth Castle. If you want somewhere to go and relax, then avoid Airth Castle :(

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Irenef74

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your experience of staying at Airth Castle Hotel & Spa. First of all, may I offer our sincere apologies that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. I am concerned about several of your comments, which have been taken on board and passed on to the relevant Department Heads.

Please be assured that we take your comments very seriously. I am aware that your comments are being looked into and the General Manager will get back to you as soon as possible
Kind Regards Laura Barry, PA to the CEO Aurora Hotel Collection.