2,352 results
All reviews both nights steam room food was lovely junior suite from start to finish haggis edinburgh falkirk
Reviewed 5 October 2013

My wife booked a surprise birthday night away at Airth, having spent a night here a few years ago we thought to repeat the experience. It wasn't to be unfortunately.
The room was larger than your average hotel room but it wasn't particularly well furnished, one bedside locker between a double and single bed. The décor was dark wood which made the room appear dark. The bathroom although clean was dated, with chipped paintwork, a loose tile on the floor and a creaking door straight out of the Hammer House of Horrors. My wife wondered who got the rooms that were shown on the website as these were not even close!
The room done, we decided to use the pool facilities. Catastrophe no 1, there was a loose tile in the ladies changing room, which my wife managed to fall over and struck her head (as well as hurt her arm and leg). The staff however were excellent, they attended to my wife and the loose tile. The duty manager filled out an accident report form and would organise a complimentary bottle of wine for our meal.
The pool facilities were fine with Jacuzzi, sauna and steamroom. Again the staff were very attentive to customers needs.
We had a drink in the bar which was attached to the restaurant, this was a relaxing area (once the wedding party had moved into their own room) and the staff equally pleasant bringing drinks to our table with complimentary snacks. Prices were average for a 4* hotel.
We had booked a table for dinner which was ready on time, we were escorted from the bar with the waiter taking our drinks. The waitress was friendly with a good knowledge of the food helping my wife make her decision. We received our complimentary bottle of red wine which was opened and poured all rather too quickly. Now, the thought was well meant but the wine was a poor choice (and in fact no choice for us), a rather warm light Italian which personally I always avoid. Embarrassingly I had to explain that although the intension was well meant we would happily buy our own wine. The head waiter was a bit put out, but he redeemed himself and exchanged the wine for something more palatable, in fact a lovely Rioja Crianza. So good we had a second (seemed a good idea at the time).
Now the food was the absolute highlight of the stay, starters, mains and sweets you could not complain about, all freshly cooked to absolute perfection, and top marks for presentation. We cannot compliment it enough.
All in all the staff, service and food at Airth Castle Hotel make this a very good place to visit. The downside of course are the rooms, it is not cheap to stay here and we did expect a little more for our money hence the 3 out of 5 rating. If they get the room situation sorted there is no reason why this couldn't be a 4 or 5.

Date of stay: October 2013
1  Thank Irishkisser
AuroraHotels, Personal Assistant at Airth Castle & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your experience of staying at Airth Castle Hotel & Spa. First of all, may I offer our sincere apologies that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. I am concerned about several of your comments, which have been taken on board and passed on to the relevant Department Heads.

Please be assured that we take your comments very seriously. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your concerns further, so that we can avoid any repetition of your experiences in the future. If this would be of interest, I can be reached on Laura.Barry@aurorahotelcollection.com. Kind Regards, Laura Barry, PA to the CEO Aurora Hotel Collection

Reviewed 4 October 2013

Unfortunately I will start by warning any potential customers that unless you enjoy flushing hard earned money down the toilet and decent staff members working against all odds, this place is certainly not for you. Upon our check in, myself and my partner were met with a single reception member checking in a queue of guests. Although the staff member (Scott) was as friendly and efficient as I have ever received, it is clear to see that the hotel is prepared to compromise customer service in favour of no staff members on the front of house. Quite frankly the most shocking decision I have seen from ay hotel management. Once we were finally checked in we spent most of our time enjoying the attractions of the surrounding areas, Partly this was down to the poor standard of room facilities on offer. The rooms looked dated and unwelcoming, surprisingly this was supposed to be the modern part of the building, I imagine even the Fritzl family would complain about the Castle rooms on offer although I am pleased to say I avoided this "experience ". While dining in the restaurant we both found the food to be of very high quality although again the issue of obvious under staffing raised its head as the staff barely had time to mop there over worked brow. This then brings me to the check out which again I can only compliment the receptionist ( Stephanie ) on another professional and extremely friendly attitude. In summary I would like to thank Airth castle hotel for accepting my money for a sub standard facility. God only knows how you have retained the staff you have. Quite clearly a company un interested in customer service standards.

Room tip: Don't expect much from the room quality.
5  Thank Lee C

Thank you for sharing your impressions following your stay at Airth Castle Hotel & Spa.
Having read your comments, I am sorry to learn that your overall experience did not meet your expectations and left you feeling disappointed with some aspects of your stay.
I would very much like the opportunity to personally discuss the various aspects of your feedback. I can be reached at laura.barry@aurorahotelcollection.com , at your earliest convenience.
I look forward to hearing from you and thank you once again for taking the trouble to write a review. Kind Regards Laura Barry PA to the CEO Aurora Hotel Collection

Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

Terrible weekend we wont be back. rooms were filthy and we were moved to another room. I had to clean bath before i could shower. Headboard was splattered with i dont know what. Black mould and cracked mouldy tiles. We waited 20mins on order to be taken for dessert until we gave up. On first sitting for dinner last night there was food below the table probably there from breakfast. There was a wedding on both sat and sun night so what was supposed to be a quiet relaxing weekend turned into a roudy glasgow night out. There was nowhere for hotel guests to go. The front doors were open most of the night so we sat frozen. A waiter asked if we needed anything a told him a blanket and a cup of soup.

5  Thank raemurphy
AuroraHotels, Personal Assistant at Airth Castle & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

Please be assured that we take your comments very seriously. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your concerns further, so that we can avoid any repetition of your experiences in the future. If this would be of interest, I can be reached on Laura.Barry@aurorahotelcollection.com . Kind Regards, Laura Barry, PA to the CEO Aurora Hotel Collection

Reviewed 29 September 2013

My husband and I were really looking forward to a well earned break on our return visit to Airth Castle after a few years absence. All looked good on arrival in reception, but not what we would've called wonderful when we saw our room-not up to our expectations from our previous visit. As another reviewer states, our furniture too was tired and badly chipped although we have no complaints about the cleanliness or carpet-though why only 1 bedside table in a double bedroom I ask myself (husband had to use a chair to set book/glasses on before going to sleep)!!!? Bathroom clean, but depressing green and in need of updating. Ours was very obviously not newly refurbished! The view out of our double aspect windows also left a lot to be desired-hedges and weeds-not a view we could actually enjoy! The loud slamming of doors by folk coming and going in the corridor and next door bedroom was horrendous - but I suppose this could be a problem in any hotel.
The dining room is a beautiful sight to behold, breakfast excellent. Our booking included 2 evening meals and although we had extremely poor service on the 1st occasion the second evening (thanks to the wonderful waitress Zoe) could not have been better. The food on both nights was definitely 5star the real highlight of stay.

Room tip: Check that room is in the refurbished part of hotel when booking!
3  Thank Kathleen J

As you can imagine I was very disappointed to read the review of your experience at Airth Castle Hotel & Spa. At the Aurora Hotel Collection, we pride ourselves on our high standards of customer service, therefore I am extremely concerned that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your concerns further, so that we can avoid any repetition of your experiences in the future. If this would be of interest, I can be reached on laura.barry@aurorahotelcollection.com. Kind Regards Laura Barry PA to the CEO Aurora Hotel Collection.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

I was allocated a room on the 3rd floor, after a wait of about an hour on check in as the check in IT had crashed! Eventually I was given my room and key and off I went to unpack etc. The tiredness of the room hit me straight away, it needs some work with the bathroom in particular being desperate for some attention. Next morning I was at the desk asking to be moved rooms, which they agreed to and I was told that when I arrived back at the hotel after work I would be in the Castle and given my room number. I was assured all my belongings would be moved over. On my return, I picked up my key from reception and set off for the castle. I got into my room to find none of my belongings were in the room. I phoned reception and the guy had no idea I had been moved from another room nor why. I was told he would call me back but after 20 mins no call so off I go again to reception. There were 2 Guy's in reception neither of whom knew the saga of my move nor where my belongings were. Eventually I suggest that they should go and look in my old room and sure enough my kit is found. So off I go again to the castle carrying my bags and clothes after requesting a table for 8pm. Back I yomp once again for my table to be told too busy to accommodate a table for one and have to wait until 9.15 for a meal despite there being numerous empty tables. I have deliberately not mentioned why I moved rooms but suffice it to say I did expect a degree of understanding from the staff but the lack of awareness amongst the staff I had to interact with throughout my stay just showed there was no awareness, no continuity of service and care. At checkout initially I was asked to pay the full amount and once I challenged it and explained why I was not happy to pay in full I was told, "I'm sorry I wasn't aware of that" I rest my case

1  Thank HarleymanNotts

I would very much like the opportunity to personally discuss the various aspects of your feedback. I can be reached at laura.barry@aurorahotelcollection.com, at your earliest convenience.