“Good Stay”

Airth Castle & Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Airth
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Spent weekend at Airth Castle attending a conference. Facilities were excellent and dining was worth special mention. The meal in the resturant was outstanding with excellent choices and first class service. Hotel s always busy and a popular wedding venue.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank oldsmiddy
AuroraHotels, Personal Assistant at Airth Castle & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Airth Castle Hotel &Spa. I am very pleased that you had an enjoyable stay whilst attending the conference and that you found all of the facilities at Airth Castle to be excellent. I will pass your comments regarding dinner to the team and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

There are newer reviews for Airth Castle & Hotel

Reviewed 10 October 2013

We would like to thank all the Staff at this Wonderful Castle Hotel and Spa
We went there for Lorraine's Birthday and was not disappointed the staff were very attentive from the moment we arrived till the minute we left .
The rooms were spotless and fresh(We were in room 234 then 133) the food was superb and the breakfast kept me going all day and so tasty as was all the food
5th Oct/6th Oct

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a fantastic review of your experience at Airth Castle Hotel & Spa. The team was delighted to read that you had a thoroughly enjoyable stay for a birthday celebration. We were very happy to read that not only was the team helpful but that you also food the food to be delicious. We hope to get the opportunity to welcome you all back again soon.

Kind Regards Laura Barry, PA to the CEO Aurora Hotel Collection

Reviewed 9 October 2013

We went to the one day spa offer at this hotel today. We had a one hour massage, mini facial, then a swim, sauna, Turkish, and jaccusi . To finish off, we had afternoon tea.
What a treat! The place is immaculate, staff friendly and polite. We each asked for a different type of massage, and we got exactly what we wanted. The afternoon tea was served by a lovely oldish couple, and consisted of a large amount of fresh sandwiches( varied), warm scones with jam and clotted cream, and a selection of tiny cakes. No problem to get de caffeinated coffee. There was a large selection of teas in the relaxing room which you helped yourself to whenever you wanted.
A great experience, now waiting for their next deal.
To find the spa, you drive past the front of the hotel. We had no bother parking.

Room Tip: We didn't stay there, just had a day pass.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

What a lovely review – thank you for your kind comments regarding your Spa Day at Airth Castle Hotel & Spa. I was delighted to read that you had a fantastic day at the Spa and that you found the whole experience to be a real treat. The treatments and relaxing atmosphere within the leisure facilities do provide a great escape and the Afternoon Tea is a great way to finish off your day. I will pass all of your kind comments on to the team at Airth Castle and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

Lovely setting - hidden just off main road. Reception couldn't be more friendly and extremely helpful. Great service in restaurant and good food.
Spa a little dated but helpful staff - compact but pool lovely , as was sauna and steam room. Rooms spacious but a little dated - once they are done I can see little that would prevent me from giving 5 stars - will definitely return.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
AuroraHotels, Personal Assistant at Airth Castle & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Airth Castle Hotel & Spa. We were delighted to read that you found all of our team members to be helpful and friendly, I will pass on your kind comments to the team at Airth Castle. We have have taken on board all of your comments and we hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

We bought a voucher from 5PM for here at a cost of £99 for one evening’s bed and breakfast and £40 towards the cost of dinner in the restaurant. It seemed like a good deal even after reading the negative reviews on here. On arrival we found the staff to be pleasant and welcoming. We were allocated a room on the ground floor opposite the dining room. First impressions of the room were not good. It looked tired and run down with lots of dirty marks on the walls and old furniture and dirty fixtures and fittings. The carpet was crumpled as if it had been recently lifted and not fitted back to correct place. The room had fittings for disabled access and the fittings for this hand rails etc rusting and had seen better days. The bathroom showed signs of ware with the grout needing re done. On looking at the bed sheets we found smatterings of blood on the covers.

Undeterred and looking to enjoy our stay we briefly forgot the room and spent few hours in the spa. Really enjoyable but top tip take a container for drinking water as there is none available in the spa only the sinks in the changing areas.

We went back to the room and although unhappy with it decided not to make and issue and go for dinner. Great dinner the food was top notch as was the service. We retired back to the room and on pulling back the bed sheets found even more blood splattering on the sheets. Am afraid this was the straw that broke the camel’s back!

We informed the duty manager about the contaminated sheets and we were moved to a new room situated in the castle. The manager was professional and a credit to the hotel, she provided us with a complementary drink in the bar and a bottle of sparkling wine on arrival in our new room.

I am always wary about buying vouchers from these companies for cut down rates. I feel that because you buy the voucher that you receive the lowest standard of room available. On reflection this seems to be what happened with us.The condition of the room was not that of a 4 star hotel in my opinion. This spoiled our trip to this hotel however i am genuinely greatful to the duty manager who made the room change in the late evening as smooth as we could have expected.

I have added a few pictures to show the issues we faced so that you can make your own mind up if you be happy paying the hotels rates to stay in the room we did (pictures not great but gives you a feel for the room). I have tried to give an honest and open rewiew of this hotel with it good as well as bad points. What was supposed to be a nice evning away turned into a bit of a bother and fuss and has left us a bit wary of using this chain of hotels again.

Room Tip: Stay away from room 114
4  Thank Genuine_Beefeater

As you can imagine I was very disappointed to read the review of your experience at Airth Castle Hotel & Spa. At the Aurora Hotel Collection, we pride ourselves on our high standards of customer service, therefore I am extremely concerned that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your concerns further, so that we can avoid any repetition of your experiences in the future. If this would be of interest, I can be reached on laura.barry@aurorahotelcollection.com. Kind Regards Laura Barry PA to the CEO Aurora Hotel Collection.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

My husband and I booked a night away from the children hoping to have a chilled, relaxing break in luxury as advertised on the hotel's website (most misleading website!!). Firstly, don't think you're coming to stay in a castle - they have rooms split between the castle and a new building across from it.

We arrived on Saturday, waited in a queue for about 15 minutes to check in as the system had crashed, got the key for our room on the first floor - we honestly had a chuckle to ourselves - surely this was a wind up? How they have the cheek to class the rooms as 4* is beyond me! The furnishings in the room, albeit clean, were extremely dated, tired and in dire need of replacement. The panelling around the door frame was scratched as if a dog had been at it with its paws, the carpet was just disgusting, curtains made us feel sick as they were filthy, one bedside table and the bathroom was absolutely hideous.

We took a walk back down to the reception to see if there was any possibility of upgrading to a room like we thought we were coming to stay in, waited for another 10 minutes or so in the queue whilst the young man with dark hair was taking abuse from guest's in front of us regarding the standards of their rooms (made us feel a little less awkward about complaining). We did get a little miffed while waiting in the queue right enough; on the rececption desk is an electronic photo frame which shows luxurious rooms and facilities - is this just an added bonus to rub our noses in it? By the time it got to our turn, I'm amazed the receptionist hadn't thrown in the towel and walked out, I certainly wouldn't like to work under the conditions he was! However he was extremely apologetic, offered us a room across in the castle as the only rooms they had left in the main building were twin rooms. So we took a stroll across to the castle thinking it would be spectacular inside - how wrong we were. Wallpaper hanging off the wall on the staircase and the room was even worse than the one we had first been given so we decided just to stay put and make the most of what was left of the evening.

We headed back to the reception, spoke to the man again (surprised he wasn't sick of us!) and said we would stay where we were. He couldn't have been more professional about the matter despite the day he must have had. Made our dinner reservation for the restaurant and went to check out the spa. With the rooms you get free use of the gym and swimming pool, both of which are very nice and clearly well maintained. The young man on the leisure desk was very helpful and informative about booking spa treatments and timings etc, gave us our towels (supplied for you) and we headed for a swim. Once you're down in the pool area you feel a million miles away from the main resort, so peaceful and just what we were wanting. When we left the spa we thought we'd walked into the middle of Princes Street - hotel was swarming with guests for the wedding that was on! We managed to manoeuvre through the crowd back to our room to get ready for dinner.

By the time we were headed to the restaurant everyone had descended into the ball room so it was a lot less chaotic. Our table was under the glass roof, a beautiful setting with the lights dimmed, music coming from the piano and so relaxing. Our waitress, Mahri, was absolutely brilliant, so pleasant and informative. My husband had a steak and I chicken - the food was delicious, meat cooked to perfection, compliments to the chef! Prices are just what you'd expect for a 4* restaurant. We sat and had some drinks at the bar before heading back to the 'prison cell' we had paid for. The entire dining experience was definitely a splendid end to a rather disappointing day.

Breakfast in the morning had a great variety - there's your standard cereals, but the buffet cooked food was delicious. The waiters seemed to be very streched considering the volume of guests in the hotel, but they didn't let it show; customer service skills couldn't be faultered. Checkout time for the rooms is 11am, we were going to raise the issue regarding the standard of the room as we were leaving as we didn't think it right that we should pay for substandard accommodation (it's not cheap to stay!) however the lady that was on herself was obviously struggling to cope so we just paid the bill and left as we just wanted to get back home.

Overall, I'd advise anyone to think twice before staying here - it's advertised as a 4* hotel, I'd definitely agree that the spa and restaurant are, however the rooms are more 2*!! The staff are an absolute asset to the hotel and for that I do commend them, they did take the rough edges off what had begun as an awful day. One more comment I'd like to add - they advertise tranquil breaks at the spa, yet it's not tranquil when there are wedding guests everywhere, drinking and rowdy as you're trying to sit and relax. Seeing as there are two buildings, would it not be more sensible to have the wedding guests all in one building? Just a thought...

4  Thank Lynsey M

Thank you for sharing your impressions following your stay at Airth Castle Hotel & Spa.
Having read your comments, I am sorry to learn that your overall experience did not meet your expectations and left you feeling disappointed with some aspects of your stay.

I would very much like the opportunity to personally discuss the various aspects of your feedback. I can be reached at laura.barry@aurorahotelcollection.com , at your earliest convenience.

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you once again for taking the trouble to write a review. Kind Regards Laura Barry PA to the CEO Aurora Hotel Collection

Reviewed 5 October 2013

My wife booked a surprise birthday night away at Airth, having spent a night here a few years ago we thought to repeat the experience. It wasn't to be unfortunately.
The room was larger than your average hotel room but it wasn't particularly well furnished, one bedside locker between a double and single bed. The décor was dark wood which made the room appear dark. The bathroom although clean was dated, with chipped paintwork, a loose tile on the floor and a creaking door straight out of the Hammer House of Horrors. My wife wondered who got the rooms that were shown on the website as these were not even close!
The room done, we decided to use the pool facilities. Catastrophe no 1, there was a loose tile in the ladies changing room, which my wife managed to fall over and struck her head (as well as hurt her arm and leg). The staff however were excellent, they attended to my wife and the loose tile. The duty manager filled out an accident report form and would organise a complimentary bottle of wine for our meal.
The pool facilities were fine with Jacuzzi, sauna and steamroom. Again the staff were very attentive to customers needs.
We had a drink in the bar which was attached to the restaurant, this was a relaxing area (once the wedding party had moved into their own room) and the staff equally pleasant bringing drinks to our table with complimentary snacks. Prices were average for a 4* hotel.
We had booked a table for dinner which was ready on time, we were escorted from the bar with the waiter taking our drinks. The waitress was friendly with a good knowledge of the food helping my wife make her decision. We received our complimentary bottle of red wine which was opened and poured all rather too quickly. Now, the thought was well meant but the wine was a poor choice (and in fact no choice for us), a rather warm light Italian which personally I always avoid. Embarrassingly I had to explain that although the intension was well meant we would happily buy our own wine. The head waiter was a bit put out, but he redeemed himself and exchanged the wine for something more palatable, in fact a lovely Rioja Crianza. So good we had a second (seemed a good idea at the time).
Now the food was the absolute highlight of the stay, starters, mains and sweets you could not complain about, all freshly cooked to absolute perfection, and top marks for presentation. We cannot compliment it enough.
All in all the staff, service and food at Airth Castle Hotel make this a very good place to visit. The downside of course are the rooms, it is not cheap to stay here and we did expect a little more for our money hence the 3 out of 5 rating. If they get the room situation sorted there is no reason why this couldn't be a 4 or 5.

1  Thank Irishkisser

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your experience of staying at Airth Castle Hotel & Spa. First of all, may I offer our sincere apologies that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. I am concerned about several of your comments, which have been taken on board and passed on to the relevant Department Heads.

Please be assured that we take your comments very seriously. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your concerns further, so that we can avoid any repetition of your experiences in the future. If this would be of interest, I can be reached on Laura.Barry@aurorahotelcollection.com. Kind Regards, Laura Barry, PA to the CEO Aurora Hotel Collection

Also consider these accommodations in or near Airth
The Royal Hotel
Grange Manor
#1 of 4 in Grangemouth
Best Western Park Hotel
The Stirling Highland Hotel

Been to Airth Castle & Hotel? Share your experiences!