“Don't believe negative reviews”

Airth Castle & Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Airth
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We stayed here for one night on a DBB deal. The room was a good size and bathroom newly done. We had read fairly negative reviews prior to our stay but couldn't really see what was being criticised.
The spa was fantastic - really friendly receptionist who even loaned me £1 for the locker! The lighting is really lovely and we emerged after about an hour of enjoying the pool, steamroom and Jacuzzi really relaxed.
Our evening meal was lovely - good quality food and excellent staff, especially Katie who went the extra mile without being overbearing.
Breakfast was buffet-style with loads of choice. There was even haggis!
The staff are really the jewel in this hotel's crown, we were really impressed by them.
Thank you Laura.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank StellaGlasgow
AuroraHotels, Personal Assistant at Airth Castle & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a fantastic review of your experience at Airth Castle Hotel & Spa. The team were very pleased to read that you had a nice relaxing stay and that you had a lovely meal in the Grill Room. At the Aurora Hotel Collection we pride ourselves on a high level of customer service and I am thrilled that you both found our team to be friendly and helpful throughout your stay. We hope to get the opportunity to welcome you both back again soon.

Kind Regards Laura Barry, PA to the CEO Aurora Hotel Collection

Write a ReviewReviews (2,119)

Reviewed 15 February 2014

We have just returned from 2 nights at Airth Castle & Hotel. Our room was a family room on the ground floor with lots of space. The boys (3 & 1) slept fine on the fold-away beds and we turned one into a make-shift cot by barricading it in with the armchairs in the room. A cot would have been available but to be honest we thought our youngest would have ended up in beside us! This in itself would have been no problem as our bed was huge!
Room was clean and bright. Bathroom had everthing needed although could possibly be doing with a freshen up.
The food was lovely and the lassie (Judy) that was on duty in the mornings was extremely helpful and attentive. Shirley was also very pleasant and made our stay with two young boys very enjoyable.
The pool facilities were nice also, although the ladies changing rooms are a little bizarre in lay-out. This by no-means distracted from our stay.
Would definitely return with the children again - the fact we had a cracking deal made all the better!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Peartree14

What a lovely review – thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay at Airth Castle Hotel & Spa. We were delighted to read that your family had a thoroughly enjoyable stay. I am pleased that you found our team to be helpful and friendly; I will pass your kind comments regarding your meal to our Kitchen team who will be very pleased. We hope to get the opportunity to welcome you and your family back again soon.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Had a lovely weekend here. Cracking family room loads of space we were lucky to get great views. We had a great rate so excellent value. I have to say everything was very clean and very comfortable.But furniture in bedroom a bit tired. Bathroom badly needing done up. We had a brilliant modern shower but bath seals poor and bathroom flooding. Bath scored and marked. But we I'd really enjoy our stay. Staff were really friendly but reception staff seemed to be not very efficient. I phoned up to change to dining room booking and cancel y child booking for family room no ether down when we arrived not only that but nothing booked in my room despite me being the person booking for 3 couples. It looked like lots of staff being trained , only minor issues but. Not expected in a 4 star hotel. Food in dining room lovely but very limited choice. When you book DBB you don't expect quite so many supplements, fish and chips with a supplement very weird my advice change your pricing.
I ordered cheese and biscuits after dinner hardly any cheese and not worth the additional supplement. But I have to say we had a lovely relaxed stay. there was a wedding happening while we were there I have never stayed in a hotel before where I felt like a part of the wedding. Was great to watch but not sure if I liked it when there for a weekend with friends.
On a real negative on the Sunday we were left to feel like second rate guests when the rainbow rooms took over. There was nowhere to sit and chill with a coffee or relax before checking out. Or even sit and meet with with friends. This is a big hotel but staff were struggling to cope. But hats off to them they did the hotel proud all weekend lots o very tired smiles. We had a lovely weekend. It really felt dumped on the Sunday. In makeshift dining room, couldn't even get my legs under the table probably, not enough staff to get tea and coffee etc as main focus wash the big function going on for rainbow rooms. For all this it's well worth a stay

Room Tip: Book a room on 3 rd floor with front views
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Airth Castle Hotel & Spa. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you found all of our team to be helpful. Please be assured that we take any comments from guests very seriously and you highlighted areas will be raised with the relevant departments. We hope to get the opportunity to welcome you all back again soon.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Where to start! Stained bed sheets, hair covered sink, a toe nail on the carpet, marked walls, dated shabby furniture. Not what you expect from a resort selling its self as 4 star. We were moved from the above room to a castle room which to be honest was not much better. Again the furniture is tired but at least this time it was moderately clean. My major complaint though was how cold the castle room was. Even with the radiator up full and the curtains closed the heat went straight out the draught old windows. The food in the restaurant was ok although the staff left a lot to be desired. After paying for our meal, whilst walking back to our room we were chased by a member of staff asking if we intended to pay for our meal! After showing our receipt we were allowed on our way! The cooked breakfast is best avoided unless you like cheap sausages and scrambled egg that tastes like wallpaper paste. If you have booked and are reading this review do your self a favour and cancel. It is as bad as the reviews are making out!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank John W
AuroraHotels, Personal Assistant at Airth Castle & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

As you can imagine I was very disappointed to read the review of your experience at Airth Castle Hotel & Spa. At the Aurora Hotel Collection, we pride ourselves on our high standards of customer service, therefore I am extremely concerned that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your concerns further, so that we can avoid any repetition of your experiences in the future. If this would be of interest, I can be reached on laura.barry@aurorahotelcollection.com . Kind Regards Laura Barry PA to the CEO Aurora Hotel Collection.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Set on top of a hill, the hotel comprises the old castle building plus a newer bedroom block section. The style is clearly Scottish themed and from the photos on display this place does a roaring trade in Weddings. I stayed here for three days on business and noted the following:

Pros
The gym is newly equipped and has almost everything you might need (except a spinning bike)
The breakfast buffet serves haggis and black pudding!

Cons
The major problem here is phone reception - there is none at all on O2. I know this is not within their direct control but it negatively impacted my stay both in terms of business and also personal calls to home.
Ditto with broadband. They offer free Wi-Fi but it is very, very slow and only enabled me to download emails, not send any and at peak times I was unable to open web pages before the session timed out!
The menu would probably be fine if you were staying one night with a partner. However, everything was served with a buttery sauce, greasy dressing, or dripped with oil. Healthy options have clearly not landed here yet!
The restaurant lighting has been designed to provide "ambience" but is totally inadequate for winter mornings. I seriously needed a torch to make out what I was eating.
My room was OK-ish. It just about made it in terms of cleanliness and facilities but the overall impression was tired, tired, tired.

Overall, I would not choose this hotel for business travel. It is in an isolated location and the communication challenges are a real problem.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Piptothepost
AuroraHotels, Personal Assistant at Airth Castle & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Thank you for sharing your impressions following your stay at Airth Castle Hotel & Spa.

Having read your comments, I am sorry to learn that your overall experience did not meet your expectations and left you feeling disappointed with some aspects of your stay, particularly your experience in the Grill Room.

I would very much like the opportunity to personally discuss the various aspects of your feedback. I can be reached at laura.barry@aurorahotelcollection.com at your earliest convenience.

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you once again for taking the trouble to write a review. Kind Regards Laura Barry PA to the CEO Aurora Hotel Collection

Reviewed 6 February 2014

We recently went to our friend's wedding here and I have to say from start to finish it was a fantastic experience. The wedding was held in the castle, the whole day was in there. The staff, the organisation and especially the food was fantastic. The choice of food was fillet steak and everyone said that it as cooked perfectly, not an easy job for 60 guests. I would highly recommend this venue for both a wedding and an overnight stay, fantastic.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 February 2014

The more modern rooms in the main hotel, whilst needing a bit of renovation are the best option to stay in. The castle may be more interesting but the walk to and from the hotel for meals isn't so good in the rain and the rooms are small and not as well appointed. The meals are, on the whole fine, though a little on the pricey side. No problems with the hotel staff who were always helpful.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
AuroraHotels, Personal Assistant at Airth Castle & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Airth Castle Hotel &Spa. I am very pleased that you had an enjoyable stay. The rooms in the hotel are more convenient for the use of the facilities and for the restaurant, however the rooms within the Castle are more in keeping with the Castle itself and we cannot change too much within them as the Castle is a listed building they are nice to stay in if you are looking for a nice view. I will pass on your comments to our team and we hope to welcome you back again.

Kind Regards Laura Barry, PA to the CEO, Aurora Hotel Collection

Also consider these accommodations in or near Airth
The Royal Hotel
The Stirling Highland Hotel
Leapark Hotel
Leapark Hotel
#2 of 4 in Grangemouth

Been to Airth Castle & Hotel? Share your experiences!