“Fantastic Sunday Lunch”

Airth Castle & Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Airth
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

Went for Mothers Day Treat for late lunch. Although I was told by staff both the Normal Menu and a set Menu was on offer, only the Set Menu was available. 3 courses for £17.95 per adult or £10.95 per child. We need not have worried. The menu was great with a Carvery, Baked Cod or Tortellini available as a main along with some tasty starters and fantastic puddings . The childrens menu was equally as good. The service was quick and efficient with no complaints from us. Overall it was a lovely lunch in a lovely setting. U can't wait to return. Yum.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank kerrywinsborough

Reviewed 30 March 2014

My wife and I have just spent the night at the hotel and the overwhelming feeling is one of disappointment, When I booked the hotel I did ask about the options around spa treatments and was informed that there were none available on Saturdays 'for many weeks'. I felt it strange that there was therefore no option of spa treatments for guests but as the hotel looked nice I thought I'd book it anyway.
I was fully aware the check-in time is 3 pm but we arrived early. We were told that the room was not available but it would be guaranteed at the stated check-in time (which is understandable). We decided to have a drink in the bar and wait. At 3pm we tried again to check in only to be told that the room was not ready. We were taken to the bar and told that we would given a drink while we waited and someone would be with us shortly to take our order. We are still waiting for that drink. We eventually received our room keys at 3.20 pm.
When we (eventually) checked-in we were told that if we were hoping to dine in the restaurant then the only times that we could get a table would be either 5.30 or 8.45 pm. Neither are times that we would choose to eat at but we opted for the earlier option.
On a positive the room was nice and very clean, our evening meal was excellent and there were plenty of staff.
However, I just don't think the hotel offers value for money for the price I paid for B&B. Similar priced hotels offer better value in my opinion and that's why were left feeling disappointed. For the price we paid I had hoped for a little better experience.

2  Thank 445Andrew
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

The rooms and bathrooms are large in the castle. The restaurant is amazing. The beds are very comfortable the staff was extremely helpful and pleasant. The property is beautiful. For a medieval castle they have done a nice job updating it. I would come back.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank kdrum82
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We stayed in Cameron House Hotel the previous night and I ordered rib eye steak both nights. The airth castle food was far superior to Cameron House. The food is great and I would definitely recommend DBB as you can choose from the main menu and deduct £25 per person. I was disappointed with the room for a 4 star hotel. It was very dated and definitely in need of refurbishment. We booked a superior room and got a poor standard room. However, we enjoyed our stay. The hotel is relaxed and seemed to suit families well. The staff were great. I would go back.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a superior room.
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Booked an 'overnight DBB' (bottle of wine incl) stay through Classic Britain website for myself; fiance and toddler daughter. The process of booking very straightforward.

Positives - From arrival to departure, staff very courteous and helpful. We booked an evening meal and the food was very good as was the breakfast - good menu selection for both. Free use of spa facilities - pool; jacuzzi, steam and sauna.

Negatives - Spa changing rooms - male and female not up to a high standard of cleanliness i.e in gents changing room a toilet roll had fallen on floor - wet through; floors not mopped. My fiance found clumps of hair on the floor; a used tampon under a bench; toilet roll holder hanging off and communal sink tap was loose.
The general interior decor in our room was in dire need of a 'lick of paint'; cracked floor tiles in bathroom which had been pieced/glued back together and another tile which appeared to have some spillage/stain that was not/could not be removed. Furniture dated and shabby looking.
Dining/restaurant room - an industrial sized heater was in operation to heat our side of room during our evening meal - I ask for it to be switched off due to excessive noise. I also noticed a similar heater on other side near the bar. It does not look good.

After reading many similar reviews re hotel rooms/decor, you would expect Aurora to upgrade the hotel to match the quality of the service we received on arrival and during our overnight and its supposedly 4 star rating. Until then, we won't be back.

Room Tip: We had Room 312 - see above for comments
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank GTTOBS
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Was booked into a castle room , on arrival found that the castle is approx 100m away from main hotel so decided to change to executive double within hotel (no drama very helpful receptionist) however executive double in hotel very tired and not very comfortable due to weak floor , small bathroom with dodgy sink , paint peeling on window sill , no water . Positive on room would be excellent shower very powerful and easily adjusted.
Bar and Restaurant staff very good and food first class , however very cold especially restaurant area. Breakfast was pretty much as should be plenty choice and served very efficiently.
First day using spa found steam room cool , jacuzzi was cold however on second night steam room hot and jacuzzi hot . Would advise booking treatments before arriving as we were unable to secure a booking during our two night stay.
My overall impression was that this is an excellent business hotel maybe not best suited to leisure travellers.

Room Tip: Check with hotel before arrival.
1  Thank James R
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Recently enjoyed a birthday weekend at Airth Castle with my husband and 9 year old little girl. From the moment we arrived the staff were very attentive and a massive thank you must go to Sam the Food and Beverage Manager who went over and above to ensure we had a fantastic weekend. Glynis was also very nice and helpful over the weekend. The food at the hotel was amazing, we enjoyed breakfast, lunch and dinner throughout our time here and they were all to a very high standard. The first night we stayed in a family room within the hotel. I agree with other comments that the room needed a little updating however it was clean, the bed was comfy and the room was a good size with ample storage. On our second night we stayed in the Castle - WOW the room was amazing. Decorated and fitted out to a very high standard and very luxurious. The leisure facilities are very good and include gym, pool, Jacuzzi, steam room & sauna and we used all of these each day we were there. Now for the beauty rooms - I personally enjoyed a facial and massage as a birthday treat and they were both fantastic, so relaxing. We enjoyed the weekend so much that we are actually returning this weekend for a Mother's Day treat, cant wait :-)

Room Tip: Best rooms seem to be within the Castle.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Airth
The Royal Hotel
Grange Manor
#1 of 4 in Grangemouth
Best Western Park Hotel
The Stirling Highland Hotel

Been to Airth Castle & Hotel? Share your experiences!