“disappointing spa day”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Airth
Stirling, United Kingdom
“disappointing spa day”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Tatty spa area /filthy toilet swimming pool area/ very poor lunch - luke warm - the list goes on- more like 2 star
Went with a friend -who came all the way from Ayr , as a treat for our birthdays !
I did write in a letter of complaint in December but as yet still no response.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank sylvia n

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Harwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I had a wonderful week here on my recent creative retreat, the staff were wonderful and the location sublime. Welcoming, considerate staff. Just a big thanks to all. wommpomm loves Airth and the Kelpies were magnificent. James xx

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank wommpomm
Spalding, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2014

After a 6 hour drive to the hotel we were greeted by a man on reception who was too busy to deal with checking us in. Eventually we got checked in and made our way to our rooms. As a family of 6 we required 2 rooms. On walking into our rooms we found one had other people bags in and smelt of smoke. We phoned reception to be told that this wasn't possible and that we must be mistaken. A person will be with you shortly we were told. No one came after 20 mins. After another phone call we had to go to reception to sort the problem out. Only sorted by having to locate the other guests and ask them to move rooms! Finally at 10:30 we could settle down. No chance!!! no cot despite ordering, no bedding for the sofa bed. This took an age to arrive. When the bedding eventually came there were no pillows as the hotel had 'run out' and no cover on the duvet as they had run out!!!!
The rooms are terribly dated and in need of maintenance.

The second night we were awaken at midnight by the fire alarm going off for 30 seconds. After waking our children the alarm stopped.

We were thankful we didn't have a third night and certainly wont be going back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank robbell5

Travellers are raving about these Airth hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

booked a romantic break for my wedding anniversary, the room was very good as was the food .The staff were excellent especially the staff in the restaurant and bar areas I cannot praise them highly enough it was one of the best hotels I have stayed in and will be going back for another visit it made myself and my husbands wedding anniversary very special thank you.

Room Tip: junior suites are a good size and comfortable
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank linda m
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

Went for Mothers Day Treat for late lunch. Although I was told by staff both the Normal Menu and a set Menu was on offer, only the Set Menu was available. 3 courses for £17.95 per adult or £10.95 per child. We need not have worried. The menu was great with a Carvery, Baked Cod or Tortellini available as a main along with some tasty starters and fantastic puddings . The childrens menu was equally as good. The service was quick and efficient with no complaints from us. Overall it was a lovely lunch in a lovely setting. U can't wait to return. Yum.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank kerrywinsborough
Levenmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014

My wife and I have just spent the night at the hotel and the overwhelming feeling is one of disappointment, When I booked the hotel I did ask about the options around spa treatments and was informed that there were none available on Saturdays 'for many weeks'. I felt it strange that there was therefore no option of spa treatments for guests but as the hotel looked nice I thought I'd book it anyway.
I was fully aware the check-in time is 3 pm but we arrived early. We were told that the room was not available but it would be guaranteed at the stated check-in time (which is understandable). We decided to have a drink in the bar and wait. At 3pm we tried again to check in only to be told that the room was not ready. We were taken to the bar and told that we would given a drink while we waited and someone would be with us shortly to take our order. We are still waiting for that drink. We eventually received our room keys at 3.20 pm.
When we (eventually) checked-in we were told that if we were hoping to dine in the restaurant then the only times that we could get a table would be either 5.30 or 8.45 pm. Neither are times that we would choose to eat at but we opted for the earlier option.
On a positive the room was nice and very clean, our evening meal was excellent and there were plenty of staff.
However, I just don't think the hotel offers value for money for the price I paid for B&B. Similar priced hotels offer better value in my opinion and that's why were left feeling disappointed. For the price we paid I had hoped for a little better experience.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 445Andrew
Galesburg, Illinois
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

The rooms and bathrooms are large in the castle. The restaurant is amazing. The beds are very comfortable the staff was extremely helpful and pleasant. The property is beautiful. For a medieval castle they have done a nice job updating it. I would come back.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank kdrum82
Also consider these accommodations in or near Airth
The Royal Hotel
#1 of 1 in Menstrie
Grange Manor
Grange Manor
#2 of 4 in Grangemouth

Been to Airth Castle & Hotel? Share your experiences!