“Short break”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Airth
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Short break”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Staff were very attentive. We had read reviews which sounded critical so the hotel was contacted on our behalf to ensure we were given a nice room. Would say room was clean but just average for decor . Good choice of menu for evening meals. Enjoyed swimming in the hotel Pool made full use of sauna and jacuzzi .

Room Tip: Suggest making a request when booking
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Very functional clean but unremarkable hotel. The imaginative conversion and extension from the old stables is perfect for a short stay or business trip. My room was clean with good towels and linen. TV and coffee making facilities were very good and my room had a good view over the adjacent country side. I left each morning too early for breakfast but dinner was good and plentiful. I imagine it would be a good base for touring as Edinburgh is only half an hour away. Staff were top class. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with the hotel it just lacks a little charm that the helpful staff are at a loss to provide. Lacks an identity is possibly what I am trying to say. All in all that should not put you off it just depends on what you want.

Room Tip: Front of the hotel in the old part of the building is quiet and newly restored or decorated bathroom...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

I live close to Airth and was looking for somewhere for lunch. I had never been to Airth castle but had visited another aurora hotel - The Cairn and enjoyed it.
On arrival i was disappointed when we walked in, the place seemed dated somewhat and in need of a revamp.
We were seated in the restaurant- which was a mistake as it was a glorious day and it felt like we were sitting in a greenhouse due to the glass ceiling.
The table we were sat at was so wobbly it was like a giant lazysusan.
I ordered king prawn tortellonie of which there was none so was given lunguine as an alternative, it was overly oiled and very greasy but the 7 prawns that i got in my meal were nice.
Most staff were pleasant apart from one blonde who served us drinks she looked miserable.
My sister has tried to book spa days on several occasions but there is never availability although the dates are still advertised...? Probably a good thing....

• Stayed April 2014
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Stayed for one night as I was guest at a wedding. The wedding was in the castle and the reception in the hotel. I had a room in the hotel but some guest were in the castle. My room was large and comfortable although pretty basic. We had an excellent nights sleep. I was glad it was in the hotel as it was easy to return to my room if required during the reception. Breakfast in the morning was great with lots of choice and friendly staff.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I booked an Spa overnight as a treat for my sisters birthday, when I tried to book treatments I was informed they only had one slot left for a treatment (there was no mention of this when i booked) eventually Jennifer on reservations stated that I would be able to have one treatment at 10.00am and another at 12.00, I was unhappy but as Jennifer organised a room to be available for me from 9.00am and to have the cost of treatments removed from the bill I agreed to go ahead. The hotel gave us a warm reception but the room was very basic and the extractor did not work in the bathroom. As it was a birthday treat my sister went for her first treatment at 10.00am the therapist was extremely rude, she did not introduce herself and she made my sister feel very uncomfortable with her attitude! The second therapist was very professional and made the treatment very enjoyable. We ate lunch in the glasshouse again the staff were very attentive but the loud music and plastic flowers on the table were not nice, the food however was exeptionally nice. We made use of the pool etc which was enjoyable. When we went to the Glasshouse restaurant for dinner we were met with loud piano music, but much to our surpise there was no one playing the piano it was a tacky plastic piano which had been programmed to be played automatically with loud noise coming from the pedals, we could not stand the noise and asked to move tables. The food in the restaurant was fantastic and the staff again were very attentive, there were plenty of staff to attend to all guests needs. After our meal we sat in the lounge bar and enjoyed various cocktails and wine, before we left we decided we would have one more glass of champagne when I ordered this at the bar the waitress left me waiting as she went to look for the champagne she finally came back to me and stated the champagne I ordered had run out but she could give me a more expensive one and charge me the same amount as the first one I ordered, I said this would be fine, after she poured our drinks she then proceded to charge me the wrong price, when I reminded of her of what she had offered me she stated "I cannot remember what you ordered" this was in the space of ten minutes she had all of a sudden forgot what she offered me, she abruptly walked away to get her manager not telling me what she was doing and left me standing at the bar, eventually the duty manager sorted out my bar bill. It is a shame that a few members of staff made this special occasion dissapointing at times. The next morning we went for breakfast and were met once again with loud music over breakfast which would not be out of place on a 18-30's holiday. If the hotel can sort out the tacky music and the rudeness of some staff and upgrade the decor of rooms this would be a hotel I would visit again as the food was outstanding.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank dpaterson62
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

First of all, if you want to stay in a Scottish castle do not go to Airth Castle! On arrival we tried to check into the castle, and was told through the intercom to drive down to the hotel to do this. This was a surprise as in all of Airth Castle's photographs and corporate information, the castle features heavily. . . . .The Hotel does not!!!

On arrival at reception, the check-in was pleasant and the staff were very helpful.

We paid a supplement for a junior suite, and on entering the room we were disappointed instantly. The view we were presented with was the back of someone else's house in a nearby housing estate, far from the idyllic Scottish countryside that we expected from the advertisement. Onto the room. . . positives first, the room was a really decent size and the soft furnishings were nice and modern. HOWEVER, we would say the room was tired, requiring re-furbishment and the bathroom was needing completely ripped out.

We tried to book some spa services, which were unavailable, but probably due to this place being available to the general public and not just hotel guests.

We then tried to go for a walk and we were very disappointed once again with the location and lack of surrounding grounds. . . . unless you like walking along the dual carriage way or main road!!

We then decided to go to the bar which was pleasant and the staff were very friendly. We had dinner also and the food was lovely but stay away from the chilli death burger as this was terrible!!

The room throughout the night was far too hot and the level of general "hotel noise" was excessive. This was not restful!! The hotel became much quieter in the early part of the morning though!

Breakfast was fab and check out was fine!

All in all. . . you don't get to stay in a castle, its a hotel not a castle, not 4 star, more like 3, and needs upgraded, staff were really really nice and the food (apart from the chilli death burger) was really good!

Room Tip: ask for a view that's not of the housing estate. . . . albeit a posh housing estate!
Scotland
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This hotel makes the scones for you and they are served warm with two kinds of jam as well as chantilly cream. Staff are very helpful even supplying a box to take home a scone and jam.
A very reasonably priced afternoon tea scones and jam in a relaxed lounge.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Airth
The Royal Hotel
#1 of 1 in Menstrie
Grange Manor
Grange Manor
#2 of 4 in Grangemouth

Been to Airth Castle & Hotel? Share your experiences!