“Don't be fooled by the beautiful setting”

Airth Castle & Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Airth
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Don't be fooled by the beautiful setting”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

We stayed in an executive room (room 1 in the castle). For the money (it's not cheap) I don't feel we received value for money. Despite the beautiful setting the hotel has a certain coach trip vibe about it: lots of guests, staff calling it in, buffet breakfast. The experience simply wasn't in keeping with the scenery or architecture of the castle. The room was a little disappointing. One wouldn't expect to need to clean hair away from the bath in a four star hotel which costs a lot relative to other options. I've had much better at a local B&b. At least they make an effort - and at a third of the price.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Treanor82

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

I booked an overnight spa stay (Saturday - Sunday) for a birthday present. Check in was very swift, we arrived a little before 3pm and were able to go straight to our room. The receptionist was very helpful, giving us details about the hotel, where things were and booked our dinner reservations. Our room was a standard twin room, all usual amenities, ironing board, hair dryer, TV and spacious ensuite shower room.
The pool area was nice, changing area is a little on the small side, only 3 changing cubicles, there was plenty of lockers and shower rooms. There wasn't many seats around the pool, 4 loungers and around 4 chairs, luckily it wasn't busy when we arrived. However it was clean and relaxing, there was the usual access to the sauna, steam room and Jacuzzi.
We had booked our pre booked our treatment for that evening, on the website our package described a 30 minute treatment however I was disappointed to learn that the actual treatment only lasted 20 minutes. I opted for a facial with my travel partner opting for a massage, we were both very pleased with the treatment received.
Dinner was very pleasant, there was a good selection on the menu and as our package was a dinner, bed and breakfast we managed to have a 3 course meal without paying anything additional. The staff were very attentive and service was very quick. There was plenty of seating area's for after dinner where you could enjoy a drink.
Breakfast however wasn't as good as the evening service, we 'check in' only to be told that there was only one person registered for our room - yet the previous evening there was no issue. It could've been a mis print, they seated us after advising me it wasn't a problem, it was self-service, all the food was warm, the potato scones had clearly been cooked to long as they were very crispy. The staff were very efficient to the point that I had put my napkin down on my plate with a bit of food still on my fork and my plate was whisked away before I had a chance to say anything. The coffee which was served was also lukewarm.
Aside from these wee niggles it was overall a very nice day and I would go back.

2 Thank luskshona
Alloa, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

This was a gift for Christmas from my husband for cousin and me. It was absolutely amazing, we had head,shoulder and back massage and foot massage. I would highly recommend the day.....I am so chilled. Everything was perfect from start to finish. Introduction when we arrived and tour of facilities. Staff where very attentive and friendly, and couldn't have been more relaxed. Treatments were perfect.....then lunch in our robes was fab.thank you very much we are already planning our next visit. Only one flaw changing rooms could do with some tlc.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

I attended a spa day package with my friend on Sunday for a birthday treat. Having heard good reviews from friends and family who had been before I was really looking forward to the day. Overall we had a good day though unfortunately a few niggles that would make me think twice before booking again.

Positives - lovely pool area, with a great jacuzzi. Lovely spa treatments. Polite and friendly staff throughout the day.

Negatives - for us the pool was busy with families and children which normally wouldn't be an issue though on a relaxing spa day not so enjoyable. Some of the facilities in the changing rooms were needing a bit tlc, such as the hand dryer not working.

Was disappointed to find despite paying a supplement for attending at the weekend we then also had additional supplements to pay for many of the lunch choices. My understanding is this is recently introduced and wasn't in place at the time of our voucher booking. So clearer pricing notification is required for customers here at the time of booking. My friend chose a supplement meal and rather than pay at the end she had to make the payment as soon as we'd finished our meal. So this meant returning to the changing rooms for cash to then go to the bar to make payment, this could be slicker. As also meant a bit of hanging around to catch the waitress.

We found mixed attention during the treatments, where my therapist provided full information about the products she'd used during the facial treatment though my friend didn't receive anything from her therapist.

Finally, friends who've visited mentioned any drinks were additional cost however there should be water and fruit/herbal teas available included in the relaxation room. We found only water on our arrival, perhaps more scrimping on Airth's part??

1 Thank emtravel2014
Glasgow
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

My husband and two sons stayed here for two nights and we were bitterly disappointed. On arrival, the receptionist was pleasant although a smile would have been nice and hotel information. Basic hotel instructions eg Breakfast/Dinner times, where the pool was, was not given.

The family room was spacious enough although extremely tired and in dire need of decorative maintainence. The bathroom was dirty, in particular the bath which was engrained with dirt. We did not use the shower/bath all weekend, instead we opted for the pool showers.

The pool was clean and the only modern element to the hotel. The changing areas are narrow with limited changing space. Three very small cubicles are present. I had to change my 20 month old in the very small toilet as this was the only space available with the baby bed, the strapped was also broken on this bed. Therefore after he was changed, and I had to deal with myself is a small cramped space whilst he tried to stand up and down on the bed. Could be wrong but I'm sure this would be against the health and safety rules.

Dinner...where to begin....what wasn't burnt was mush. I had ordered prawns for starters, which were not edible. I had also order a burger with no gherkins, what arrived was a burger with gherkins. The waiter was very obiliging in removing however brought me back the same meal having removed the gherkins but leaving the roll which was mush on top as the gherkins had previously been there. The Manager made attempts to recitify this by removing the cost of my starter from the bill (it was a 5pm.com deal with meals included but had to pay childrens meals) and the kids got to eat free. Must add a two course childrens meal started at £9.....absolutely ridiculous !
The second night was slightly better but that was partly due to spending the day away from the hotel and only returning early evening.

On checkout, the bill included the childrens meals, but the receptionist did remove them.

Overall, I can say that I would most definately not recommend this hotel, it is tired, in desparate need of a lick of paint, some staff were helpful and but others didn't have a clue. Bitterly disappointed as this family weekend should have been relaxing and enjoyable but instead I would rather have been at home.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank TRossi81

Travellers are raving about these Airth hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

The revitalise me spa break was a gift for my 30th Birthday and overall was an amazing experience and I will definitely go again. Check in is 3pm , however we arrived at 11am to use the spa facilities and as our room was ready we were checked in early with no issues, on checking in two lovely mini bottles of Prosecco ( enough for two glasses in each bottle ) and a huge bowl of fresh strawberries were waiting in the room. The room was mostly lovely only complaints are there was some marking on the walls , as if a child has dragged a crayon along the walls and the top of the windows had cobwebs and were dusty. Apart from those issues the room was lovely and beds were very comfy. Lots of tea, coffee and milk in the room as well. We then went down to the Spa and after been given our robes and towels and a tour of the spa we got changed and started enjoying the facilities. The spa was amazing and relaxing , the facilities lovely and clean and the staff very friendly and helpful. We were taken to a private dining room for our lunch which was included in the package , we stayed in our robes and slippers for this , the food was really tasty and the portions more than enough. We were then given a fruit smoothie and a fruit kebab and after finishing we went upstairs to the treatment rooms , We spent some time in the tranquillity room ( I nearly fell asleep it was so calm in there) and then went and had a massage and facial , both treatments were really relaxing and the therapists friendly and very good and what they did. Later in the evening we had dinner in the restaurant ( I would advise to pre book a table as it was a very busy place ). Food was amazing , a very large variety to choose from and again the portions were huge and the staff were very friendly , offering recommendations from the menu and generally chatting to us. We also had a few cocktails in the lounge and found them very reasonably priced. Breakfast the next morning, again in the restaurant was a feat , a complete hot and cold buffet , all food fresh and very tasty. Overall this package was well worth the money and I am already looking to book to go back. The setting of the hotel is wonderful and the spa beautiful but the friendly staff are really what gives this hotel that extra touch. Thanks for a wonderful weekend Airth Castle.

Hamilton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I are just back from a lovely overnight stay at Airth Castle for our anniversary.

On arrival we had a few drinks at the lovely bar area bear reception. Drinks were reasonably priced and the bar staff were very friendly.

We got the keys to our room about 3 o'clock. We were upgraded to the castle rooms as it was our anniversary and we got married at one of the aurora chains hotels.

The room was lovely, very clean. A giant four poster bed, was very comfy. There was a message from the staff to congratulate is on our anniversary and two small champagne bottles chilling complimentary for our arrival.

We used the spa facilities. They were so relaxing. The steam room, jacuzzi and sauna were very well looked after and clean.

We has dinner at the grill room. The food was fantastic. As were the staff.

Overall a great hotel, lovely staff, rooms and spa. Would highly recommend.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank StephanieGlen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Airth
Macdonald Inchyra Hotel & Spa
#2 of 4 in Grangemouth
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#2 of 2 in Bridge of Allan

Been to Airth Castle & Hotel? Share your experiences!