“Nice hotel rooms very tired”

Airth Castle & Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Airth
Greenock, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel rooms very tired”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The entrance, dining room and bar were lovely but room was very tired looking the hotel is letting itself down with this. Overall we had a lovely stay the food good and bar price ok.would visit again but hopefully the rooms may be upgraded.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I organised a 50th birthday meal celebration for my partner and 18 of our family on 10 May 2014. We had a private room, I forget the name but it was the one approached by stairs in the main bar area. The room was brilliant and the staff help set everything up for the evening. The food choice was fabulous, with a choice of 4 starters, 4 mains and 4 desserts. I didn't know which wine to choose with the meal so the bar staff let me taste about 6 different white wines, which was very helpful but in the end I chose the house white. The night ended up being a bit noisy and jovial but the staff, bless them, grinned and bared it but did shut the door a few times! The bedrooms were clean and spacious. Breakfast was good. Would stay at this hotel again,

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the castle part of hotel if possible, as supposidly haunted!
1 Thank Lisa P
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Staff is OK, but does not go the extra mile: We had to go back to the reception with our card key to the room 3 (!!!) times because it did not work - and they did not even apologizes. They give you the impression, that their hotel will survive without you being there.
The rooms are very old and dark - they are clean enough, but not in a way, that you really feel it's cleaned without any left outs.
Beds are uncomfortable.
The rooms in the castle are almost the same as in the ad-don building - however there is NO LIFT in the castle and we did not receive support to get our heavy suitcases to the third floor.
Wifi ist not existent in the room and barely usable in the bar and restaurant space.
And the restaurant is not serving food over a basic level of quality and closes at 10 PM.
Don't stay there without a car - the hotel is not close to any other interesting locations/restaurants etc.

Overall - I will never stay in that hotel again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Enyele

Travellers are raving about these Airth hotels

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We stayed in an executive room (room 1 in the castle). For the money (it's not cheap) I don't feel we received value for money. Despite the beautiful setting the hotel has a certain coach trip vibe about it: lots of guests, staff calling it in, buffet breakfast. The experience simply wasn't in keeping with the scenery or architecture of the castle. The room was a little disappointing. One wouldn't expect to need to clean hair away from the bath in a four star hotel which costs a lot relative to other options. I've had much better at a local B&b. At least they make an effort - and at a third of the price.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Treanor82
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I booked an overnight spa stay (Saturday - Sunday) for a birthday present. Check in was very swift, we arrived a little before 3pm and were able to go straight to our room. The receptionist was very helpful, giving us details about the hotel, where things were and booked our dinner reservations. Our room was a standard twin room, all usual amenities, ironing board, hair dryer, TV and spacious ensuite shower room.
The pool area was nice, changing area is a little on the small side, only 3 changing cubicles, there was plenty of lockers and shower rooms. There wasn't many seats around the pool, 4 loungers and around 4 chairs, luckily it wasn't busy when we arrived. However it was clean and relaxing, there was the usual access to the sauna, steam room and Jacuzzi.
We had booked our pre booked our treatment for that evening, on the website our package described a 30 minute treatment however I was disappointed to learn that the actual treatment only lasted 20 minutes. I opted for a facial with my travel partner opting for a massage, we were both very pleased with the treatment received.
Dinner was very pleasant, there was a good selection on the menu and as our package was a dinner, bed and breakfast we managed to have a 3 course meal without paying anything additional. The staff were very attentive and service was very quick. There was plenty of seating area's for after dinner where you could enjoy a drink.
Breakfast however wasn't as good as the evening service, we 'check in' only to be told that there was only one person registered for our room - yet the previous evening there was no issue. It could've been a mis print, they seated us after advising me it wasn't a problem, it was self-service, all the food was warm, the potato scones had clearly been cooked to long as they were very crispy. The staff were very efficient to the point that I had put my napkin down on my plate with a bit of food still on my fork and my plate was whisked away before I had a chance to say anything. The coffee which was served was also lukewarm.
Aside from these wee niggles it was overall a very nice day and I would go back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank luskshona
Alloa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2014

This was a gift for Christmas from my husband for cousin and me. It was absolutely amazing, we had head,shoulder and back massage and foot massage. I would highly recommend the day.....I am so chilled. Everything was perfect from start to finish. Introduction when we arrived and tour of facilities. Staff where very attentive and friendly, and couldn't have been more relaxed. Treatments were perfect.....then lunch in our robes was fab.thank you very much we are already planning our next visit. Only one flaw changing rooms could do with some tlc.

Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I attended a spa day package with my friend on Sunday for a birthday treat. Having heard good reviews from friends and family who had been before I was really looking forward to the day. Overall we had a good day though unfortunately a few niggles that would make me think twice before booking again.

Positives - lovely pool area, with a great jacuzzi. Lovely spa treatments. Polite and friendly staff throughout the day.

Negatives - for us the pool was busy with families and children which normally wouldn't be an issue though on a relaxing spa day not so enjoyable. Some of the facilities in the changing rooms were needing a bit tlc, such as the hand dryer not working.

Was disappointed to find despite paying a supplement for attending at the weekend we then also had additional supplements to pay for many of the lunch choices. My understanding is this is recently introduced and wasn't in place at the time of our voucher booking. So clearer pricing notification is required for customers here at the time of booking. My friend chose a supplement meal and rather than pay at the end she had to make the payment as soon as we'd finished our meal. So this meant returning to the changing rooms for cash to then go to the bar to make payment, this could be slicker. As also meant a bit of hanging around to catch the waitress.

We found mixed attention during the treatments, where my therapist provided full information about the products she'd used during the facial treatment though my friend didn't receive anything from her therapist.

Finally, friends who've visited mentioned any drinks were additional cost however there should be water and fruit/herbal teas available included in the relaxation room. We found only water on our arrival, perhaps more scrimping on Airth's part??

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank emtravel2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Airth
The Royal Hotel
#1 of 1 in Menstrie
Grange Manor
Grange Manor
#2 of 4 in Grangemouth

Been to Airth Castle & Hotel? Share your experiences!